Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Dragnmoon

Old November 19th, 2012, 08:19 PM
So I am moving this from another thread..

Lone Wolf has decided this when dealing with Specific "Magic" Item nonmagical armors, which I believe in incorrect, and specifically for me who uses this program for PFS it is definitely incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
Without an official ruling one way or the other, what we've finally settled on is that Specific Magic Item nonmagical armors stand alone as specific exceptions to the rules, not enhanceable.
Due to this, you have to go to the Editor to be able to make this items magical which should be allowed without doing so, which is more then a little annoying for me at least. I fully understand there are those that love using the Editor, but specifically for me, I spend all the money on all the add-ons so I specifically don'e have to.

I think this is close enough at least as an official rule *I know it is a PFS FAQ*

Quote:
Can I Upgrade a Named Magic Item?
Named magic items—including specific armor and specific weapons—are not upgradeable. Non-magic specific armor and specific weapons may be upgraded normally. Magic armor and weapons may be upgraded to named versions if they are the same basic material and shape as, and meet but do not exceed the enhancement bonuses of the named versions. Wondrous items whose names include a +X value (such as bracers of armor, headband of vast intelligence, amulet of might fists, etc.) may also be upgraded following the rules for upgrading magical items on page 19 of the Guide to Pathfinder Society Organized Play.

Upgraded versions of named magic items may appear on Chronicle sheets.

Intelligent magic items are not available for purchase unless they appear on a Chronicle sheet or are provided as part of a class or archetype (such as the black blade magus archetype).
I would really appreciate if you add the option to upgrade these as normal without having to go into the editor.

I understand your reluctance based on Mithral Shirt, but IMO it is not Lone Wolf's job to figure out if a rule as written as correct but to implement the rule as written unless or until said otherwise.

Last edited by Dragnmoon; November 19th, 2012 at 08:21 PM.
Dragnmoon is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 20th, 2012, 12:51 PM
Thanks for the pointer to the PFS ruling - we weren't aware of that. Situations like this are troublesome because we have to choose between *two* rules as written, and we generally choose the more consistent one (since it's also simpler to implement) if there's no errata / FAQ to the contrary.

We'll raise this with Paizo and see what the official word is, since there doesn't appear to be a clarification anywhere on this.
Colen is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
risner
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old November 29th, 2012, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragnmoon View Post
IMO it is not Lone Wolf's job to figure out if a rule as written as correct but to implement the rule as written unless or until said otherwise.
There are two interpretations to the rule. That was the biggest problem with the old wizards forums on 3.5, the exact meaning of a rule was often debated between both sides claiming their interpretation is the only valid interpretation.

I had to make edits to Elven Chain to implement this myself for my players, but I can't fault HL for taking one interpretation over the other without something to direct them from Paizo.
risner is offline   #3 Reply With Quote