Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

johnkzin

Old March 19th, 2019, 10:44 AM
Since there doesn't seem to be a Fate Core forum, I guess this goes here:

I've been using Hero Lab for D&D 5e, and just looked at its Fate support for the first time...

Given that Fate Core doesn't have a default skill list ("Lace and Steel", the example implementation does, but FC itself does not ... the skill list that Hero Lab is showing is the skill list for "Lace and Steel"):

How would I go about removing the "Lace and Steel" Skills in the Fate Core game mode, and adding the ones I want in my game ... WITHOUT modifying the data files?

Also, I want to add a default Aspect, alongside High Concept and Trouble. Is there any way to do that, or just tell everyone "one of your 3 extra aspects has to be ____."? Again, hopefully without changing the data files...

And, I bailed before checking ... but does the Stunt adding mechanism allow things like: a certain number of free Stunts that don't consume Refresh? and can you add your own custom Stunts using the underlying Stunt rules (without modifying the data files), or does Hero Lab only allow the example Stunts for Lace and Steel?

All 4 of these things (modifying the skill list, modifying the default aspect list, having a count of free Stunts, and constructing custom Stunts), all without modifying the data files, seem like they would be absolutely necessary for proper support of Fate Core. Right now, it seems like Hero Lab doesn't really support Fate Core, it just supports Lace and Steel.
johnkzin is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 19th, 2019, 06:01 PM
As luck would have it, you can't directly edit the data files, so you have to use the Editor. The easiest way to remove skills is to make a copy of the "Core" campaign and then edit the "Campaign Skills" entry. You can readily add new skills via the Skills tab (again, you'll probably want to do "Add (Copy)" and then modify it so that most of the entries are already filled out. I don't think there's an easy way to add a new default Aspect.

You can create custom stunts in the interface. To make one with 0 Refresh, you can do that via the Editor.

^_^ I will add the caveat that I don't play Fate, so this is all just me muddling about in the program.
Duggan is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
johnkzin

Old March 19th, 2019, 10:20 PM
The Editor doesn't seem to support opening any files under the data/fatecore directory.
johnkzin is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
johnkzin

Old March 19th, 2019, 10:23 PM
And, I don't see anything about a Campaign to copy or edit, "Core" or otherwise.
johnkzin is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
johnkzin

Old March 19th, 2019, 10:25 PM
ok, found the campaign thing on the configure your character screen, but not way to copy it.
johnkzin is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old March 20th, 2019, 12:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
The Editor doesn't seem to support opening any files under the data/fatecore directory.
You create a new file in the project's data directory.

You can copy individual items to create your own custom items.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 20th, 2019, 06:33 AM
Ah, sorry. I should have given the full explanation of how to use the Editor. There's probably an entry in the Help menu as well.
Duggan is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old March 29th, 2019, 06:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
ok, found the campaign thing on the configure your character screen, but not way to copy it.
See attached for instructions.

EDIT:

I should have added, that the next time you start Fate Core, you should be sure to select the campaign you created instead of the default campaign.

Also, this is a very basic, bare bones way to do things. Ideally, you should give any custom entry a "Source" and make sure to select that source before loading your campaign.

The "Source" can be something simple like "House Rules" or whatever you want.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Fate Core Skills.pdf (46.0 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by EightBitz; March 29th, 2019 at 06:29 PM.
EightBitz is offline   #8 Reply With Quote