Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

Matt Harris

Old February 24th, 2013, 04:39 PM
I purchased Hero Lab last Wednesday, played aroung a bit, and the began looking to see if I could implement my house rules. One of them is that Light Shields & Quickdraw Light Shields give +2 AC, Heavy Shields give +4 and Tower Shields give +6.

After a little bit of frustration and lots of googling, I managed to get that implemented, saved into a custom user file with source so I can turn it on/off from the configure your hero menu.

However, when my houserules are not checked, the shields disappear entirely (although the quickdraw shields remain).

What, pray tell, am I missing?

Thanks for any help or insight you can provide.
Matt Harris is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 25th, 2013, 11:16 AM
If you replace something and add a source, you are not saying "use this version while this source is checked and the normal version if it's not". You are saying "This now works like so, and is now only available while this source is checked."

Replacements are checked before sources.
Mathias is online now   #2 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old February 25th, 2013, 12:18 PM
So the solution is, do the replacement, but don't give the replacement thing a source. Instead, make an eval script which looks for your house rule source to be turned on (there is a "source.WHATEVER" tag on the hero that indicates if a certain source is on), and then applies whatever changes are necessary under that rule.
Aaron is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old February 25th, 2013, 12:19 PM
Or I suppose you could make a mechanic which has your house rule source, which foreached through all the shields and bumped them up as desired.
Aaron is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old February 25th, 2013, 01:24 PM
I can't recall clearly but I think a shield is just marked as "buckler, light, heavy, Tower". Which means feats and abilities are looking at the Type of shield not at specific shields like would happen with a feat.

In that case just don't do the "Replace Thing ID" and instead have two versions one core and one house rule. Then on the "*Hidden" tab you can setup to hide the "CORE" shields when your house rules is turned on. When your house rules is turned off the CORE version shows and not your House Rule version.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Matt Harris

Old February 25th, 2013, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the help. I was hoping to avoid scripting, but will look at that.
Matt Harris is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Matt Harris

Old March 6th, 2013, 07:42 PM
ShadowChemosh:

Your idea mostly worked. I had to use the preclude tab.

On the downside - there are now ~30 items that are bootstrapped off various shields that don't see the base shield armor bonus.

Back to the drawing board. :_(
Matt Harris is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old March 6th, 2013, 08:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Harris View Post
Your idea mostly worked. I had to use the preclude tab.
My bad I mentioned the wrong tab but you found the right one.

Quote:
On the downside - there are now ~30 items that are bootstrapped off various shields that don't see the base shield armor bonus.

Back to the drawing board. :_(
Why do you have 30 bootstraps? Nothing in my idea needed bootstraps actually.

Attached to this post is a .user file that shows a working proof of concept that I just did using the Light Steel Shield. If you have this source "Shield House Rules" turned off you get the CORE shield. If you have it turned on you get your new light shield that gives +2 bonus.

I tested with some Shield Feats and they all treat the shield just like the CORE version.

When working this kind of stuff its best to do Proof of Concepts. Do one shield and test it out in lots of different ways before spending time do all shields only to find it may not work the way you expect. In this case my PoC appears to be working...

So I am missing something about what your trying to accomplish?
Attached Files
File Type: email PFRPG_ShieldHouseRules.user (3.8 KB, 3 views)

Hero Lab Resources:
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Matt Harris

Old March 6th, 2013, 08:56 PM
I was unclear.

I have created (for example) a heavy wooden shield that is +4 instead of +2.

I have used the *preclude tab to hide it when my source is selected.

That works just fine.

An Absorbing Shield, however, doesn't. It is at +1 Heavy Steel Shield. When I select it with my house rule file unselected, it gives +3 AC. If my House Rule file is selected it gives +1.

If I do all six shields in my house rules, there are about 30 custom shields that I will need to redo. 17 are based upon heavy steel shields alone.

Last edited by Matt Harris; March 6th, 2013 at 09:09 PM.
Matt Harris is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old March 7th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Quote:
I was unclear.

I have created (for example) a heavy wooden shield that is +4 instead of +2.

I have used the *preclude tab to hide it when my source is selected.
Just to make sure we are on the same page. You used the *Preclude tab to set your House Rules Source and the "CORE" ID of the Heavy Wooden Shield. The above makes it sound the opposite.

The *Preclude hides the Thing when the source is NOT checked. The opposite of how the sources normally work. So in this case you would have "4 Shield" IDs on the *Preclude Tab, more if you have UE, but its only the CORE shields that are listed on the *Preclude tab. When "House Rules" is marked the 4-6 shields you have on the *Preclude tab then get removed.

Quote:
An Absorbing Shield, however, doesn't. It is at +1 Heavy Steel Shield. When I select it with my house rule file unselected, it gives +3 AC. If my House Rule file is selected it gives +1.

If I do all six shields in my house rules, there are about 30 custom shields that I will need to redo. 17 are based upon heavy steel shields alone.
Your new shields, all 30 of them, are located on the "Armor" tab and are setup with your rules. Then these 30 are all source marked (ie the "Source" blue button) to your "House Rules" source so that only when marked do the 30 show up.

And boom your shields show up when the source is marked and the CORE shields are hidden. When House Rules source is turned off the CORE shields display and your custom shields do not.

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #10 Reply With Quote