Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Army Builder Data Files > Warhammer 40,000

Notices

jlong05
Volunteer Data File Author

Send a message via MSN to jlong05

Old July 16th, 2014, 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kturock View Post
All of the necron changes I mentioned are in the FAQ at GW's site.
The volunteers for Battlescribe have updated it a couple times already for 7th. I don't if that program is any easier to program.
No idea myself. never used it. As for the FAQs, I haven't grabbed them since I don't have 7th edition.

The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.
jlong05 is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
JusticarGames

Old July 17th, 2014, 02:56 AM
Why did 6th ed get an update when their is an entire new edition?

Anyone else find this extremely derpy?
JusticarGames is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
jlong05

Old July 17th, 2014, 06:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticarGames View Post
Why did 6th ed get an update when their is an entire new edition?

Anyone else find this extremely derpy?
Maybe because the changes from 6ed to 7ed are somewhat minor and development for 6ed updates were already well underway?

Again, except for FAQ updates for units, what 7ed functionality do you feel is missing from the files currently?

jlong05 is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Opus

Old July 17th, 2014, 07:04 AM
Before I get into my venting, I want to say that I truly do appreciate the volunteer work. Having said that, your reply really rubs me the wrong way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlong05 View Post
Please read the forums. It has been discussed in many threads that Lonewolf CANNOT lend a hand as that would open them to legal action by GW.

Lonewolf has provided everything that the purchased license outlined. All users are free to create the files they want using the Built in ABCreator toolset. Files from the maintainer group will be provided when they are ready. We cannot speed this process up, and not all files are promised as the cost to own the rules are quickly becoming unrealistic for a single person to own.
1. If some of their people volunteered (no reimbursement, no ownership), I am pretty sure that there wouldn't be an issue. I am not a lawyer, so maybe I am wrong...
2. People I personally know are steering clear of this product for this reason alone.
3. I am just trying to help and make suggestions. I

I don't expect all of the books. I do expect the BRB. If 7th is not coming out at all, just say the word (is this what you are implying with your last statement?).

The biggest issue I have personally is that we get NO updates from the volunteer team on progress. We do however get attitude when we mention it (such as your response above). If I had time to create my own files, I would be volunteering in your group.

Communicating something to the affect of we have this much done, we are having issues with this, we think this is the ETA. Or even, no change this week. Any kind of communication would help alleviate the growing frustration. If you guys already do this, point it out, because in the month and a half of looking I have not found it in either the forums or the Facebook page. Instead, all I see is the statement above pretty much copy and pasted.

I know what I purchased. I know what the license/EULA says (I actually read them). I just thought it fair to point out that this is affecting Lone Wolf directly and is going to make a difference to their bottom line.

No amount of lecturing from you is going to change that. If anything, it will speed up the exodus.
Opus is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
jlong05

Old July 17th, 2014, 08:24 AM
OK. Let me try to explain some of the issues the DEV team has been encountering.

First. for the last 2 years the team has been largely 3 people(and really only 2). We recently added a new person in the last couple months bringing the effective team to 4 but mainly 3.

The release dates for JUST the Codex rules is this:

Codex: Space Wolves - 10/2009
Codex: Blood Angels - 4/2010
Codex: Dark Eldar - 11/2010
Codex: Grey Knights - 4/2011
Codex: Necrons - 11/2011
Codex: Chaos Space Marines - 10/2012
Codex: Dark Angels - 1/2013
Codex: Chaos Daemons - 3/2013
Codex: Tau Empire - 4/2013
Codex: Eldar - 6/2013
Codex: Eldar, Iyanden - 6/2013
Codex: Tau Empire, Farsight Enclaves - 7/2013
Codex: Chaos Space Marines, Black Legion - 9/2013
Codex: Space Marines - 9/2013
Codex: Space Marines, Sentinals of Terra - 10/2013
Codex: Space Marines, Clan Raukaan - 11/2013
Codex: Inquisition - 11/2013
Codex: Tyranids - 1/2014
Codex: Imperial Guard, Militarum Tempestus - 3/2014
Codex: Imperial Guard, Astra Militarum - 4/2014
Codex: Orks - 6/2014
Codex: Orks, Waaagh! Ghazghkull - 6/2014

This shows that last year there were 11 books released in the 12 months of the year, and so far this year there have already been 5 books released in the first 6 months.

Now, lets breakdown how that work is currently distributed:

Developer #1
Codex: Necrons - 11/2011

Developer #2
Codex: Dark Eldar - 11/2010
Codex: Chaos Daemons - 3/2013
Codex: Tau Empire - 4/2013
Codex: Eldar - 6/2013
Codex: Eldar, Iyanden - 6/2013
Codex: Tau Empire, Farsight Enclaves - 7/2013
Codex: Tyranids - 1/2014
Codex: Orks - 6/2014
Codex: Orks, Waaagh! Ghazghkull - 6/2014

Developer #3 (Also the lead person responsible for releases etc...)
Codex: Space Wolves - 10/2009
Codex: Blood Angels - 4/2010
Codex: Grey Knights - 4/2011
Codex: Chaos Space Marines - 10/2012
Codex: Dark Angels - 1/2013
Codex: Chaos Space Marines, Black Legion - 9/2013
Codex: Space Marines - 9/2013
Codex: Space Marines, Sentinals of Terra - 10/2013
Codex: Space Marines, Clan Raukaan - 11/2013
Codex: Inquisition - 11/2013

Developer #4
Codex: Imperial Guard, Militarum Tempestus - 3/2014
Codex: Imperial Guard, Astra Militarum - 4/2014

Now, this is just the Codex rules they work on. They are also responsible for all the additional updates, rules released, such as Imperial Armour, the various Christmas releases last year, FAQ updates, etc... And they still have normal jobs and normal lives.

Add to this, we have a SINGLE person doing internal testing, and he is AWESOME at it, but its still only 1 guy.

As you can see, the release schedule is not manageable for a team of 3 people to complete. As for other tools which exist, I cannot speak to how they complete their updates or how many people are involved in the effort or even how difficult it is to write for those tools, as I don't use them. I only know that AB is exceptionally complicated due to the nature of these files and the releases of rules by GW. It takes time, and we really have no effective solution for tracking updates as you have indicated. I know for the Tau Empire stuff, I originally created a Bug tracker to indicate the update was needed, but its not like I personally had time to update it with my progress either.

Now all that said, your exodus comment is still valid, and while you see it on the customer side, I am viewing it from the dev side. Which in your opinion is better? Quietly waiting for a release and being happy knowing that one will eventually come, but possibly losing the occasional consumer due to those delays, or verbally asking over and over and getting the developers upset, because they know they are behind and overwhelmed and no one will help, where they eventually say enough and stop doing the files completely? Then there are no file updates at all.

jlong05 is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
JusticarGames

Old July 17th, 2014, 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
No amount of lecturing from you is going to change that. If anything, it will speed up the exodus.
Pretty much this.
JusticarGames is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
joemarra052075

Old July 19th, 2014, 07:23 AM
Quote:
Maybe because the changes from 6ed to 7ed are somewhat minor and development for 6ed updates were already well underway?

Again, except for FAQ updates for units, what 7ed functionality do you feel is missing from the files currently?

For building an Army the changes are actually large. There is a entirely new way to build an army (unbound), you may now take multiple detachments, the allies matrix works very differently. Want me to keep going? Using a 6th ed army list builder does not give you even 1/4 of the options needed. This isn't even covering things like the individual army changes.
joemarra052075 is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
jlong05

Old July 20th, 2014, 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemarra052075 View Post
For building an Army the changes are actually large. There is a entirely new way to build an army (unbound), you may now take multiple detachments, the allies matrix works very differently. Want me to keep going? Using a 6th ed army list builder does not give you even 1/4 of the options needed. This isn't even covering things like the individual army changes.
Um...

Apocalypse is the removal of FOC Rules
Unbound has no FOC Rules

Ergo:
unbound is = apocalypse
detachments = new separate unbound lists
allies = new separate unbound lists.
etc..

You can use the files, but because it isn't a tidy little package its assumed you cannot. Honestly, I think the ally system and FOC should be scrapped and players should simply create additional lists for each additional allied force.

But that is my opinion. As I have stepped aside, its up to those crazy enough to stick with the files to decide now.

jlong05 is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
jlong05

Old July 20th, 2014, 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlong05
Quote:
Originally Posted by kturock View Post
As a necron player, the change that CCB is now a chariot. Also that only the overlord, and none of the other named lords, can take the CCB as a vehicle.
Just for a start.
I haven't reviewed any of my other armies; space marines, eldar, deamons; to see what they ned to change.
I presume that none of them have the new spells available.
I will have to review the necron changes. Hopefully I can get those addressed. However, as an example. I personally do not own 7th ed yet.
So after further thought, I am leaving this to others to fix. I don't play anymore and have no desire to fix this since the community cares for little more than their free files. I will spend my time working on stuff that people actually appreciate.

Ta...

jlong05 is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
JusticarGames

Old July 21st, 2014, 02:23 PM
Quote:
So after further thought, I am leaving this to others to fix. I don't play anymore and have no desire to fix this since the community cares for little more than their free files. I will spend my time working on stuff that people actually appreciate.

Ta...
Good riddance. Instead of fixing your problem you just leave it for others, how admirable of you.

Meanwhile I'll be using BattleScribe, they seem to have their act together. I'll keep launching Army Builder once in a while just for the "lolz" to see how long it takes for 7th edition to come out, if it ever does, my guess it won't since you guys seem to not care about 40k anymore.

RIP.
JusticarGames is offline   #20 Reply With Quote