Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds

Notices

Tengu1958

Old July 17th, 2016, 06:41 AM
Created a duplicate of my Savage Worlds in Herolabs. I want to run one session that is dedicated to my Rifts game.

Went in to change a few switches by adding default="yes" in the control.1st file on the various Companions. And then I reload the data and none of the switches have taken affect on the Character Configuration panel.

I also went into the thing_skills.dat file and changed the descriptions on the Knowledge and Survival skills to reflect changes made by Rift. Reload the data and I cannot see my changes.

So I decided to look at the config.cfg file to see if that might be the problem. I saw the structure folder="Savage". That was not my directory so I changed to my directory. Hit reload and still nothing I have done is in effect.

Am I missing something here? Or am I not allowed to play under the hood?
Tengu1958 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old July 17th, 2016, 07:56 AM
The only directory that I recall it allowing us to change is the one that stores characters, which would have no effect on data files, which would always be in C:\ProgramData\Hero Lab\data\savage.

What I have found to be the easiest way to make default Configure Hero settings for a specific campaign is to make a character that has the settings that I want, call it "Default Rifts Character" or similar. Then people use that and "Save as" as the new one.

Evil wins because good rolls poorly .... or the players are not paying enough attention to the game.
SeeleyOne is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old July 17th, 2016, 10:27 AM
The main settings files like thing_skill.dat and such are just so you can see how those files were created. They are not used at all, however, as that is completely compiled into the code. Only the actual user and 1st files and such are read when you start up Hero Lab. So to "play under the hood" mostly involves building user files that might do things like preclude and replace the base items you want to change out based on the source(s) you have selected. If you were just wanting to change which settings are selected for building characters for a certain setup then Seeley's method is the same one I use as well. I just create a default setting portfolio and use that to build characters from.

Now if you wanted to do a full modify of the Savage Worlds set I think you might be able to do that but I'm not completely certain how to do that. It might be covered in the Wiki, though.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #3 Reply With Quote