Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Shadowrun

Notices

Toblakai

Old June 23rd, 2019, 11:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekwych View Post
If it is online only then I will no longer be using LWD. I will not use an online product.
So you don't subscribe to one of these online products then: Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Apple Music, Spotify, etc, etc, etc... You would be the very rare one then.
Toblakai is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old June 23rd, 2019, 11:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toblakai View Post
So you don't subscribe to one of these online products then: Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Apple Music, Spotify, etc, etc, etc... You would be the very rare one then.
You forgot to include the online subscription to your ISP to actually be online :-)

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
TheMaskedFerret

Old July 11th, 2019, 07:58 AM
Will the beginner box stuff be included in the HLO package for Shadowrun 6th?
When can we expect the Shadowrun 6th package?
TheMaskedFerret is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Lj Stephens
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 11th, 2019, 08:25 PM
We expect to have some Shadowrun 6 content by the end of the year. Let me find out about the beginner box.
Lj Stephens is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Alewis

Old July 22nd, 2019, 05:10 PM
I don't care if it's online or not but the current online product just isn't very good and SR has FAR more options and technical challenges that StarFinder or the Pathfinder 2nd Edition and neither of those programs work very well.
Alewis is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Alewis

Old August 2nd, 2019, 06:20 PM
Trying to make a Pathfinder character in HLO and while I wait for it to accept my alignment selection I thought I'd browse the forums...still loading. Something that takes 1 second on Classic....Oh and now it's down for maintenance.
Alewis is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Lj Stephens
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 3rd, 2019, 03:50 AM
Yes, we apologize for the delays. We're trying to work out the kinks that appear with any new update. Thanks for your patience.
Lj Stephens is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Shaman964

Old August 3rd, 2019, 10:50 AM
The Boxed Set would be cool certainly though likely need a bit of adjustment for errata. It's too bad about SR6 going to HLO. I would have preferred it being classic as it is now referred to.
Shaman964 is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
kaintheseeker

Old August 4th, 2019, 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toblakai View Post

Do you pay for the subscription AND a specific album/movie on the service?
kaintheseeker is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
Tekwych

Old August 4th, 2019, 06:45 PM
An ISP and services such as Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Apple Music, Spotify, etc, etc, etc... are just that, services. They are sold as a service and you participate by paying a fee and receiving a service, not a product. You get exactly the what was advertised.

Among the problems created by HLO:

-LWD is giving up control of the user interface to whatever browser the end user has. While they can try to control it the browser manages how the code gets implemented. Often modern CSS and HTML needs numerous adjustments to get a browser to even display the page.

-LWD is giving up user experience to extremely random internet connections and speeds. Yes they do the same to platform, processor, and RAM but at least you can set standards.

-LWD is giving up control of the technology. I would hope they had learned with Realm Works. They wrote all their code to work on a code base written by another company who then upgraded and stoped support for several things that RW required. The issue put LWD in a serious hole and there is no guarantee that the rug won’t be pulled out from under them again.

-In the USA it is believed that over a third of the population has no high speed connection within 25 miles of them (the communications companies claim less than 10% while some research companies are claiming as high as 50%). By placing your product as online only you cut the potential number of customers and will, in the long run, make far less profit.

-The customer is losing all control of THEIR data. My characters, my story lines, my plot hooks are mine to control and use. By placing them online only I am now a hostage of some company. I can hope that they won’t sell my ideas to someone else. I can hope they don’t hold my data hostage for who knows what. Then, what happens when they go out of business

-An online system is an incomplete product. You are selling me the ability to do something provided I connect to your infrastructure and use you to facilitate and complete the process. They are trying to sell a product as if it were a service. Providing me with internet access is a service, offering me access to media for viewing but not ownership is a service, offering me something that is consumed is a service. A database to design and store character and story data is not a service, it is a product and I should be able to use it as a complete system after my transaction with the company.

I will buy every package LWD wants to make for HLC in the Shadowrun line and I buy many other lines as well. I will not but any online service that is pretending to be a product, especially when it should be a product.
Tekwych is offline   #20 Reply With Quote