Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

kbs666

Old July 18th, 2018, 02:37 PM
I would run each group in a different copy of the same realm due to issues with reveal, personally.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Erdrix

Old July 18th, 2018, 05:51 PM
Why is the default response when people ask about stuff is, if I don't need it why should you?

I got the same response when I asked about being able to link to files on my hard drive without RW trying to save a copy to the realm.
Erdrix is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old July 18th, 2018, 06:06 PM
Sometimes the response isn't I don't need so you don't either but I know that no changes to the program are happening right now so this is a viable alternative.

In your case, RW is designed to be used on multiple computers so linking to a file on your computer simply is outside the programs paradigm.

my Realm Works videos
kbs666 is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Erdrix

Old July 19th, 2018, 07:12 AM
That's the same excuse just reworded.

Every other program does this and I know I'm not the only person who only uses RW on one computer. Why can't there be an option to choose either/or?

This kind of narrow thinking makes me want to scrap using RW and just go to Onenote or something.
Erdrix is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old July 19th, 2018, 08:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdrix View Post
I got the same response when I asked about being able to link to files on my hard drive without RW trying to save a copy to the realm.
When you asked back in 2014 Realm Works didn't have a direct way to open a local file without embedding it into your database; you would have had to attach a script or batch file to a Foreign Object snippet which opened a file for you. Since then they've expanded Hyperlinks with support for file paths and various URL schemes. You still have to ensure that the file appears in the same location on each computer where you're using Realm Works or the link will break, which is why I personally wouldn't recommend doing this, but it's there if you want it.

Last edited by Parody; July 19th, 2018 at 08:16 AM.
Parody is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old July 19th, 2018, 08:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
I would run each group in a different copy of the same realm due to issues with reveal, personally.
Thanks for the response, as written each realm is very large and iam always expanding on it (the regions, characters) once split up, I'll have to manage multiple realms and juggle all the information around.

Also not sure what impact it will have if I triple the required realm works space. Probably nothing, but copying data to the laptop, synching (as long as it's included) will all take a bit more time.

How do you handle your multiple realms? How do you manage the export / import hassles between the realms?

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old July 19th, 2018, 09:30 AM
I Don't presently run more than one group in any one realm. when I did I maintained a master realm where did all creation of new content. Before every session I'd do an export of content without the export tag as well as changed content (I had to remember to mark stuff as changed a utility tag I added), on both topic and article sides, then import that into the realm for the group I was running next.

It was a massive PITA and it didn't always maintain reveal status or even work. The fact is RW badly needs individual reveal and a host of other features but until the CM finally launches were stuck.

my Realm Works videos
kbs666 is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Erdrix

Old July 19th, 2018, 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
When you asked back in 2014 Realm Works didn't have a direct way to open a local file without embedding it into your database; you would have had to attach a script or batch file to a Foreign Object snippet which opened a file for you. Since then they've expanded Hyperlinks with support for file paths and various URL schemes. You still have to ensure that the file appears in the same location on each computer where you're using Realm Works or the link will break, which is why I personally wouldn't recommend doing this, but it's there if you want it.
That's no different than another program and I'm aware that it wouldn't work on another computer, but as i said before I don't use a second computer so the recommendation to not do it doesn't apply to me. I have enough sense to know that I would have to make the paths match, if I were to change computers.

What irritates me is limiting options because it doesn't fit the vision on how they want you to use the program. It falls into the same category of 'I won't use it, so it shouldn't be an option.'

Admittedly I haven't tried to link to a file since I had to original post, so if it works now i wasn't aware that it had been implemented.
Erdrix is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Erdrix

Old July 19th, 2018, 10:16 AM
I can confirm that it does work now. So that's one think I can stop being salty about.
Erdrix is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old July 19th, 2018, 12:46 PM
So I just read that old thread and it looks like Rob and David did try and help you inside the way RW worked 4 years ago. Either you didn't understand their explanation or simply didn't like it.

I will point out that the solution you have fixated upon will eventually break your realm. Sooner or later your PC will die and rebuilding it exactly as it is today will be impossible. You'll eventually be able to track down that the PDF's are in the wrong place and get them back in the right place but if they were in a Dropbox or Googgle drive the realm would just work seamlessly after RW was reinstalled.

my Realm Works videos
kbs666 is offline   #20 Reply With Quote