Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Luciferiel

Old August 15th, 2016, 08:38 PM
I'm trying to add a custom race. After buying the monster manual pack, and Horror Adventures the race broke.

I would like this race to have the summoner class' summon monster ability, without being able to use gate, and usable a number a times per day equal to their charisma modifier.

Before I just added this as a bootstrap, but now I keep on getting an error

"Syntax error in 'eval' script for Thing "SummoningRace" (Eval Script '#1') on line 27 -> Error parsing left-side expression in relational comparison

Any help would be most welcome.
Luciferiel is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Minous

Old August 16th, 2016, 05:53 AM
Looks like you have a coding error. Without more information (copy of the .user file) it is difficult to help you
Minous is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old August 16th, 2016, 07:47 AM
SummoningRace is also too long for the unique ID
Aaron is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Luciferiel

Old August 16th, 2016, 05:25 PM
SumnRace was the ID.

When I would just add the bootstrap for the summoner class ability, it would never adjust the level of the summon monster spell, regardless of the character level. Instead of turning into summon monster V for a 9th level character, it would stay summon monster i.

I don't know how to code anything, so the scripts don't make a lot of sense to me.
Luciferiel is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Minous

Old August 17th, 2016, 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciferiel View Post
SumnRace was the ID.

When I would just add the bootstrap for the summoner class ability, it would never adjust the level of the summon monster spell, regardless of the character level. Instead of turning into summon monster V for a 9th level character, it would stay summon monster i.

I don't know how to code anything, so the scripts don't make a lot of sense to me.
Correct. You would need to write your own script to do what you want. However I think it is beyond your ability.
Minous is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Luciferiel

Old August 18th, 2016, 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minous View Post
Correct. You would need to write your own script to do what you want. However I think it is beyond your ability.
Thanks. That was helpful.
Luciferiel is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old August 18th, 2016, 11:53 AM
Have you had a chance to read or watch the videos and stuff about the HL editor?

I would recommend reading the Glossary of Terms for the Editor. Then check out FAQ#2 for all the places to learn about the editor including YouTube videos.

Sorry its not specific help but the above covers allot of the editor basic information. Tags and fields. How to find existing Tags/Fields. That can make working in the editor much easier.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Azhrei

Old August 18th, 2016, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciferiel View Post
Thanks. That was helpful.
I think you meant that to be sarcastic, but without smileys there's no way to know for sure.

In any case, don't feel bad. I've been writing code for 37 years, in everything from Z80 and 6809 machine code all the way up to C++ and Python. And writing scripts for HL is beyond my ability as well.

It's very arcane and there's no written documentation with little snippets of code as examples, so the only "examples" are the ones that are already in the program. Without a lot of experience that doesn't really help much.

The videos that Marcus linked to are a good start for learning the jargon, but they're useless as a reference. And I think the editor panel in my version of HL is more recent than the one in the video I saw, which makes it doubly difficult. (I don't like videos, personally, because I have to go through them at the speed of the video and it's tough to jump around; which is also why they don't make good references and that's really what I need.)

I'd love to see a wiki instead, perhaps something based on MediaWiki (or similar) so that it's relatively easy to add screen shots, short videos, and so forth. That's what we've used for MapTool and the nice thing about it is when one user answers the question of a newbie, it's there for all future newbies to find. (It's not perfect either though, since finding the answer at least requires knowing what to put into the search field...)
Azhrei is offline   #8 Reply With Quote