Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Venger

Old April 7th, 2014, 10:07 AM
Hello,
I ran our first The One Ring session using RW. It was a good experience! RW is easy to use and navigate to my notes and assisted in keeping the flow going and RW proved to be well worth my investment.

I am adept at using MW Word for organizing my notes, so there wasn't an apparent change in the game's pacing, at least nobody said anything. I purposely didn't mention RW at first just to see if anyone notice a difference.

But from my side having the storyboard and hierarchy as navigational tools gave me easy and quick access to my notes and was enormously helpful to me. It was when I started displaying snippets that there was a couple of "wow cools" pronounced at the table lol.

Most short notes about the areas they were exploring I handled via the Storyboard. Its ability to handle forks and twists cannot be overstated. It is an awesome visual aid for me, and using it for navigation to larger topics is invaluable.

New ideas came about how I can wire things up a little differently to get the most out of it during the game, especially next game where I will display the Storyboard to recap before the new session starts.

The only issue I had was displaying pictures of opponents and sites. I use verbal descriptions about sites for details, but will often find a similar picture on the web to use for a quick visual.

For instance... "You are about to enter a Dark, Spooky Old Woods". Then I will show an appropriate pic just to set the tone. The players and I like this.
The pics were displaying too small to see and I couldn't figure out how to enlarge them so in order to keep the game flowing I didn't fiddle with it and displayed them in Maptool as usual.

I must be missing something and will investigate further. I bought RW the Tuesday before the game on Sunday so it was a crash course to get it wired up for the game and I don't know all the in's and out's. But what I managed to cobble together in that short time was more than effective.

In one scene I had a rather extensive dialog with an NPC, and displaying his snippets from the topic as I read it was ultra cool.

One of the players keeps notes and he could glean from the snippets for spellings and I didn't have to repeat anything which stalls the flow and breaks the immersion, everyone could read it for themselves.

But the dialog was rather lengthy and I had to unreveal previous lines for new ones to show. No biggie but a scroll would be nice I suppose.
The next game is a month away and by then I will surely have a firm grasp of RW's capabilities and idiosyncrasies.

Other than the pic issue, RW performed exceptionally, will make my I am very pleased!
Venger is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
MaxSupernova

Old April 7th, 2014, 10:29 AM
Awesome! Congratulations.

We need more success stories like this, as well as practical "This worked well, this didn't" reports.

Well done.
MaxSupernova is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
davidp
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 7th, 2014, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venger View Post
For instance... "You are about to enter a Dark, Spooky Old Woods". Then I will show an appropriate pic just to set the tone. The players and I like this.
The pics were displaying too small to see and I couldn't figure out how to enlarge them so in order to keep the game flowing I didn't fiddle with it and displayed them in Maptool as usual.
Within the player preview tab, click on the thumbnail for the image and then a toolbar shows up to the right. There are zoom tools there to control the zoom level as well as other options.

Quote:
But the dialog was rather lengthy and I had to unreveal previous lines for new ones to show. No biggie but a scroll would be nice I suppose.
The next game is a month away and by then I will surely have a firm grasp of RW's capabilities and idiosyncrasies.
Again, click on the thumbnail and a toolbar shows up to the right. One of the tools is a pan tool (the hand icon) to allow you to pan the topic.
davidp is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Zaphod Beebledoc

Old April 7th, 2014, 12:31 PM
Quote:
One of the players keeps notes and he could glean from the snippets for spellings and I didn't have to repeat anything which stalls the flow and breaks the immersion, everyone could read it for themselves.
When the player client is up and running, he won't have to take as many notes! Might make things easier for him.

Sleet was enjoying a tasty beverage at his local tavern, when a Tarrasque showed up in the local area. He managed to valiantly get on it's back and ride it. How he did it is a mystery to this day...

RW: Engine Heart, I Love The Corps! Home Brew: Star Gate: Avalon, Monda Minutia. I'm good with: OpenOffice, Paint, Lego Digital Designer. & not so good with: Realm Works, Hero Lab, CC3+, GIMP, Cityographer, Hexographer, Fractal Mapper, AstroSynth, Inspiration Pad Pro. RW Kickstarter Supporter.
Zaphod Beebledoc is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Venger

Old April 7th, 2014, 04:43 PM
Thank you all for the replies.

Davidp

Quote:
Within the player preview tab, click on the thumbnail for the image and then a toolbar shows up to the right. There are zoom tools there to control the zoom level as well as other options.
Ahhh ok I got it now. Thanks for the prompt reply. I was working in the wrong place to adjust them

Zaphod
Quote:
When the player client is up and running, he won't have to take as many notes! Might make things easier for him.
I was thinking the same thing! The player in question may still opt to keep his notes and thats ok but they will always be available in RW.

If the players don't wish to buy the player client I will probably do so and give them access to visit the Realm to recap. I hope that doesn't infringe on the licensing though.

As I understand it, the player client will allow them to input their own notes?
Venger is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Zaphod Beebledoc

Old April 7th, 2014, 05:10 PM
That's what I understand too.

Sleet was enjoying a tasty beverage at his local tavern, when a Tarrasque showed up in the local area. He managed to valiantly get on it's back and ride it. How he did it is a mystery to this day...

RW: Engine Heart, I Love The Corps! Home Brew: Star Gate: Avalon, Monda Minutia. I'm good with: OpenOffice, Paint, Lego Digital Designer. & not so good with: Realm Works, Hero Lab, CC3+, GIMP, Cityographer, Hexographer, Fractal Mapper, AstroSynth, Inspiration Pad Pro. RW Kickstarter Supporter.
Zaphod Beebledoc is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
liz
Ex-Staff
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 7th, 2014, 05:14 PM
Glad to hear it went well! Thanks for sharing!
liz is offline   #7 Reply With Quote