Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

kbs666

Old October 24th, 2018, 03:02 PM
The problem is the views are stored in a non human readable format. There is a preferences.xml file in %appdata%LWD Technology, Inc/Realm Works but it doesn't have anything about tabs or views. I strongly suspect the data is in the multiple directories with the Unique ID names in that same directory but good looking figuring that out.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old October 24th, 2018, 05:43 PM
IIRC, almost all state is stored in the master.realm file, not in preferences.xml or the other folders in your Realm Works folder. The subfolders contain the index data used for searching and linking, one per realm.

It's been a while since I poked around the internals, but you can see where some of these things are by opening (a copy of) your master.realm file in a text or hex editor and searching it. It won't help you copy it, though. (Once upon a time I'd intended to add some info about your realms to my helper application, but very little is available in any reasonable fashion. :(

Last edited by Parody; October 24th, 2018 at 05:50 PM.
Parody is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old October 24th, 2018, 06:16 PM
The subfolders are definitely not one per realm. I only have 6 and have a couple dozen realms. Even the ones I open regularly are more than those 6.

my Realm Works videos
kbs666 is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old October 24th, 2018, 09:00 PM
How many have you opened since the last time you compressed or restored the database, deleted the preferences, or otherwise done app-wide maintenance operations?

As a test I deleted everything in the folder except the master.realm file and started opening realms; now I have exactly one subfolder per opened realm.

Rebuilding the index of a realm deletes exactly one folder from your subfolders and makes a new one with the same name (the names are the realm GUIDs, IIRC).

I don't know how other realm operations might affect it (notably import/export, as I haven't done any of that in ages) but in general it's one per realm.

Last edited by Parody; October 24th, 2018 at 09:29 PM.
Parody is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old October 25th, 2018, 05:05 PM
I compressed the DB and still had the same six folders. I tried opening a realm I haven't done anything with in years and did get a new folder. I rebuilt the index and got the same thing you report. However I hadn't done anything with the DB or rebuilding any indexes in a long time. So I'm confused why I only had six. I have my main fantasy realm, I have the community realm, My Expanse based realm, My solar system atlas realm (started out as the Expanse realm but I realized an atlas of the solar system could be generally useful so I'm building it for export), and test realms for each of the game systems so that when people report problems I can test out the issues and try to help. That's 9 that get opened regularly.

my Realm Works videos
kbs666 is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old October 25th, 2018, 08:17 PM
Hmm...then I don't know. The copy of the folder I made before going on this journey has one per realm I have plus one, which I think was for a realm I'd deleted. None of this really matters; as we've both said, there's no human-useful information here and it's all implementation detail.

I did get it to crash a bunch on a realm where I'm a player. Guess it didn't like me deleting the index. :)

Parody is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
evildmguy

Old October 26th, 2018, 04:17 PM
I think this has been a problem since the beginning. I brought it up a long time ago because my style was to prep some but wing it and it was not feasible to use RW at the table to take notes. I ended up writing notes down and putting them into RW later.

The best I could glean back then was that RW was intended for prep work and then clicking when things were revealed to players. Using these things for session notes, in terms of what was revealed and when. Not for taking notes or entering data during play. That's fine! It just didn't help me with my own style of running a game.

I'm hoping that the 64 bit upgrade will allow more memory, I also have decent PCs, and that will speed things up.
evildmguy is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old October 26th, 2018, 05:05 PM
The 64bit upgrade will definitely allow more memory to be used. 64 bit programs can use essentially unlimited amounts of memory, its actually 16 exabytes but when a system comes out that has even 1 exabyte of RAM then we can start worrying about that.

my Realm Works videos
kbs666 is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Sword_of_Spirit

Old October 27th, 2018, 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
An important thing to note.

Opening tabs and changing tabs is quite system intensive. The way it works is the act of opening or changing tabs reads everything in that 'view' into memory. So if you have a view that contains everything then everything gets read in. Try and create some custom views with topics limited to just what you need for your session. This can help quite a bit.
Holy crap Batman! It would probably help quite a bit if that behavior of the software were changed. There must be a better way to do it. I think it is good that there is now a setting that lets you tell it not to search your entire realm for text links every time you save anything, and more things like that should probably be considered for future refinements.

I haven't personally run into many bugs in Realm Works (one big one though), so the single biggest regular usage hassle for me is the lag.

Last edited by Sword_of_Spirit; October 27th, 2018 at 03:26 PM.
Sword_of_Spirit is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old October 28th, 2018, 02:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
An important thing to note.

Opening tabs and changing tabs is quite system intensive. The way it works is the act of opening or changing tabs reads everything in that 'view' into memory. So if you have a view that contains everything then everything gets read in. Try and create some custom views with topics limited to just what you need for your session. This can help quite a bit.
It should only need to read the titles of topics, not "everything", in order to create the list of topics.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #20 Reply With Quote