Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

daplunk

Old June 23rd, 2017, 02:58 PM
My first rule of Kickstarter... don't back software development.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old June 23rd, 2017, 05:38 PM
Steering back to the original post and thread question - is anyone privy to any updates at all on Realm Works? Anyone in some sort of beta or with some inside information that would allow a wee bit of positive speculation?

FYI, I don't care about content market. I would rather see the other tools that would help with campaign management get some loving. Using RW/HL at the table has made my players very happy.
dungeonguru is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
meek75

Old June 24th, 2017, 05:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlockHead View Post
It always perplexes me to see how outraged some bakers get when a Kickstarter fails, or deadlines slip, or the original scope contracts. Even if you don't understand what KS is and how it works and are mistakenly treating it as a pre-order market (which it most definitely is not), if losing the cost of the pledge (either total loss or partial lost through delays and failures to deliver planned features), then why did you spend the money? KS projects can and will have scope changes and you can and will lose money or not get what you want if you back enough of them.
I think this is a fair point. However, I also think we are way past this just being a kick starter. I was not a part of the kick starter. I purchased the product based on what was still being promised way past the KS. The same logic applies, I should not have bought a product based on what it is planned to have later. Its just that everyone keeps saying that only the KS backers have any cause to complain, and I disagree. I was not in the KS and have owned RW for three years -- we have been blowing by promises that whole time.

I also agree with what others have said - LWD is just a frustrated by all this a we are currently. I think LWD is doing its best and I don't have a solution other than to just hang in there.
meek75 is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old June 24th, 2017, 07:08 AM
I bought RW 3(?) years ago based exclusively on the features then available.

Anyone who buys software based on promised features is asking for trouble.

Yes, I'd like some of the planned features but as long as they maintain the cloud support and fix some existing bugs I could live with RW as is.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
Ckorik

Old June 24th, 2017, 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
I bought RW 3(?) years ago based exclusively on the features then available.

Anyone who buys software based on promised features is asking for trouble.

Yes, I'd like some of the planned features but as long as they maintain the cloud support and fix some existing bugs I could live with RW as is.
Yes - as is I'm happy. I'd love to see more added to the program though - if the content market allows them the revenue to take this next level I'd be ecstatic.
Ckorik is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old June 25th, 2017, 12:04 PM
I think the other features that are being pushed back though, could also help the revenue.

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old June 25th, 2017, 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acenoid View Post
I think the other features that are being pushed back though, could also help the revenue.
Maybe, but not as much as the content market. Though...I suppose that many of the long-awaited players-version features would make the cloud service more attractive when it is no longer free. But even if the player versions had all the bells and whistles on the road map, if there isn't content to buy, I think it will limit to potential customer base. Far more DMs want to use or precreated content—at least as a starting point, rather than build worlds and adventures from the ground up.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
Tharmiones

Old June 25th, 2017, 11:05 PM
I guess it's as always:
I lost count on how many times I heard such things.
To be honest I've seen this "this update brings us a lot closer" to the Content Market Release" soooo often since they had already announced that they are "very close" to the release that it makes me wonder if they might have been not "very close" in the first place but more like far far away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tharmiones View Post
My bet on the potential "content" of the announcement is:
"We are almost ready for the release of the content market. We are making great progress so stay tuned for the next update in the following weeks"

I don't believe you anything until it is actually there.
@dapluk and everyone else trying to say that it's the KS backers fault that they backed a SW project on KS and failing to realize that dates can change:
If it weren't for the KS Backers RW would be not even close to what it is now, if existing at all. Projects on KS are always only financed on promises. Failing to deliver in time is almost certain BUT if something is announced as "nearly complete" with a planned Release date in six months you certainly do not expect to not even see the most basic delivery of that promised functionality not even four years later.

I've made a summary of the promised to delivered functionality last year august:
http://forums.wolflair.com/showpost....1&postcount=73

What did change in the meantime?
"automatic change detection and resolution": Nope nothing changed.
"Customer Calendars": Nope nothing changed.
"Countent Market is called as SOON so often I lost track." Still true, this was done just again.

"GMs can share their creations through the cloud for use by others." Partly: You can finally export and yes you can share it through the cloud but that sharing is through a file exchange service not the actual content market.

"GMs can browse the work of others and integrate it into their own worlds. Imagine being able to find a pre-made encounter, or a tavern, or an entire region with adventures and NPCs. Drop it into your own world, change a few names, hook it into locations in your world, and it’s fully integrated for use. No scribbled notes. No Post-Its. No juggling between PDFs, books, and your own files. Realm Works is built from the ground up for exactly this purpose." --> Partly: The content needs to be exported that way instead of allowing you to choose what part to import.

So current plan, as far as the available information goes is:
1. Export/Import functionality Somehow DONE
2. Deliver free content DONE
3. Start to deliver Kickstarter content NOT DONE
4. Launch the Content Market NOT DONE

So even the KS Content is not even available and that's supposed to be available BEFORE the release of the Content Market.
Tharmiones is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old June 25th, 2017, 11:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tharmiones View Post
@dapluk and everyone else trying to say that it's the KS backers fault that they backed a SW project on KS and failing to realize that dates can change:
I think you'll find i said no such thing... Me personally having a rule against backing Kickstarters associated with software development is very different to me telling everyone else that it's their fault for backing the KS.

If I was a KS backer I would be as angry as everyone else. I'm not though. I love RW for what it already offers and simply look forward to the benefits that future updates will provide.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #29 Reply With Quote
Viking2054

Old June 26th, 2017, 01:27 AM
Just my opinion, but I think a lot of the blame for the delay in the content market release can be laid at the feet of the IP holders. I'm almost willing to bet that LWD thought they were close to launching the content market when some IP holder(s) brought up some scenario that LWD is now forced to take into consideration.

Is some of it LWD's fault, sure. Managed expectations has been, shall we say, lacking. But I'm not sure it would be good for them to come out once a month, or three and say to the user base that X, Y, and Z has happened which pushes the release of the content market back even further.

I guess it is simply a situation of damning LWD if they do or do not inform us. For which, in my opinion, they don't deserve.
Viking2054 is offline   #30 Reply With Quote