Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Online Forums > Hero Lab Online Discussion

Notices

Mysterious Mecha Pilot

Old July 15th, 2020, 09:34 AM
So I've been looking into a new VTT - Foundry, which supports Starfinder.
I'm a programmer and familiar with the technology used to create Foundry and the modules for the VTT are all open source. (which is refreshing and awesome).
The community is really catching on to this new VTT and building a lot out for it-- and the best part, it runs in-browser, which is the same direction HLO is going.

In Foundry VTT, Beyond20 already successfully links D&D Beyond character sheets to D&D 5e games, so you can roll on your D&D Beyond character sheet and it rolls it in the VTT.
Players don't have to download anything to play along and the games didn't lag or drop people (here's looking at you Fantasy Grounds Unity)...

On top of that, it has an export function (albeit, not automated).

Do the developers here have this great, promising new VTT on their radar?
It may be an easy win due to the way it's designed.
And being very affordable, it could help corner the market for online Starfinder games, as no other integration of this type seems to exist anywhere!

Some food for thought.
Mysterious Mecha Pilot is offline   #31 Reply With Quote
LimpingNinja

Old July 19th, 2020, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterious Mecha Pilot View Post
So I've been looking into a new VTT - Foundry, which supports Starfinder.
I'm a programmer and familiar with the technology used to create Foundry and the modules for the VTT are all open source. (which is refreshing and awesome).
The community is really catching on to this new VTT and building a lot out for it-- and the best part, it runs in-browser, which is the same direction HLO is going.

In Foundry VTT, Beyond20 already successfully links D&D Beyond character sheets to D&D 5e games, so you can roll on your D&D Beyond character sheet and it rolls it in the VTT.
Players don't have to download anything to play along and the games didn't lag or drop people (here's looking at you Fantasy Grounds Unity)...

On top of that, it has an export function (albeit, not automated).

Do the developers here have this great, promising new VTT on their radar?
It may be an easy win due to the way it's designed.
And being very affordable, it could help corner the market for online Starfinder games, as no other integration of this type seems to exist anywhere!

Some food for thought.
Pathfinder 2E in Foundry is already well beyond Roll20 and advancing quickly. 5E in Foundry is simply amazing, there is even "VTTA D&D Beyond" which allows importing of licensed content from D&D Beyond and the author has already been in talks to validate this with them.

Nethys was in the FoundryVTT channels just a day or two ago discussing Foundry and his actions. So it has actual traction and visibility as well as active and growing Dev Community.

All Wolflair needs to do is open an API or Export of the character sheet and the integration will be built.
LimpingNinja is offline   #32 Reply With Quote
LazarX

Old July 27th, 2020, 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstar View Post
Can't be done. If you use HLC, you can do it, with fantasy grounds at the very least.

But no, HLO is all about the future, and that means using your phones at the gaming table in person only with a dedicated internet connection the entire time.
I've tried using Herolab with Fantasy Grounds and the import is charitably described as "partially" functional.

Then again, that's the same description I'd apply to Fantasy Grounds as it's dog slow and dodgy crash prone software even on a modern machine.
LazarX is offline   #33 Reply With Quote
Ualaa

Old July 30th, 2020, 07:12 PM
I'm playing with d20Pro at the moment, but have been looking at Foundry.
At the moment, getting HL (Pathfinder 1e) into Foundry is what would hold me back.

But Foundry looks to be pretty good, based on the YouTube stuff.
Ualaa is offline   #34 Reply With Quote
Phrll

Old July 31st, 2020, 04:31 AM
Foundry looks really nice and I like the one price for everything, no tiers or anything, it's HTML, JSON, javascript and CSS based so it looks fairly easy to create modules and such. But it's still something I have to download and host games from my own computer.
Phrll is offline   #35 Reply With Quote
TheYsconator

Old July 31st, 2020, 04:53 AM
I recently purchased Foundry, though I am still in the process of setting up a server for that. It would be amazing if there was a solid connection between HLO and foundry.

I've skimmed though this thread; am I correct in that (some of) HLO's API will be documented and made public in the near-ish-future, so that VTT-developers/ modders can integrate that in their software?

Would that mean that (if someone were to add that functionality to, say, Foundry) it would be possible to change health of characters in both HLO and Foundry, and that the changes would be propagated to the other? In short; that we have the strength of HLO's solid backend with the nice and extendable backend of any of our favorite VTT-application? (Given that the VTT developers implement their part.)

'Cause if so, that would be something to look forward to, for sure.
TheYsconator is offline   #36 Reply With Quote
Ualaa

Old July 31st, 2020, 06:56 PM
From watching YouTube videos, you can have the game hosted by "The Forge" and there's another site.

Check out videos by a guy named: Encounter Library.
He's got a good series of introductory stuff, and then quite a few videos that are related to Foundry, as well.
Ualaa is offline   #37 Reply With Quote
Jamz

Old August 3rd, 2020, 06:32 AM
@Rob So, after playing in some PFS2E this weekend for GenCon and using Roll20 (so painful to have to recreate my sheet over to Roll20 or any VTT just to get dice rolls going) I had a thought...

For integration with VTT's, it seems if the first/main thing HLO could do via integration was to send it's dice roll results into the VTT of choice's chat, we could use HLO as our "character sheet" during game.

Now that the dice roller is really nice, it would be nice to just enable to push that result out via a webhook to MapTool, Discord, Roll20, etc.

Eventually full export/integration would be great but I *think* 90% of that integration need is really just so you can easily make skill/attack/save rolls and track HP.

-Jamz

RPTools.net | MapTool Discord Invite

Download Latest MapTool Release | Download Latest TokenTool Release
Jamz is offline   #38 Reply With Quote
Frodie

Old August 3rd, 2020, 06:35 AM
Just getting the character sheet inputted into Fantasy Grounds would be amazing. We have yet to figure out how to input a character into FG, lol.
Frodie is offline   #39 Reply With Quote
flyteach

Old August 3rd, 2020, 07:00 AM
If you need help with FG, head to https://fantasygroundscollege.net/. Tons of help and very knowledgable folks. They also have a Discord server. I found Roll20 much more difficult to match my stats to HLO than FG. However, it's still another manual step and would love to have the import (and maybe even export) ability that HLC has.
flyteach is offline   #40 Reply With Quote