Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Online Forums > Hero Lab Online Discussion

Notices

GregDC

Old August 3rd, 2020, 08:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyteach View Post
I found Roll20 much more difficult to match my stats to HLO than FG. However, it's still another manual step and would love to have the import (and maybe even export) ability that HLC has.
Now that rush around GenCon 2020 Online is over, I heard that HLO was getting closer to creating an export to (and maybe an import from) Roll20. Considering how many of the Paizo games where played on Roll20, I am wondering (aka hoping) that this could be moved up in priority.

Is there any sharable informtion on this?
GregDC is offline   #41 Reply With Quote
Jamz

Old August 3rd, 2020, 11:37 AM
And to add to whole VTT character sheet thing... It probably took me an hour to "recreate" my character into Roll20, especially since I was playing a Wizard and had spells. Ok, so able to do that ahead of time...

But to add salt to the wound, when we started, I got a "level bump". And Then got on top of that a Mentor bump. That meant I had to go into 30+ fields to edit and add a +1/+2 mod everywhere (why the sheet doesn't have a "level bump" option is beyond me)

For HLO, I was like, "oh, click. done". Just wished I could have used that for my "sheet" instead for the weekend...

-Jamz

RPTools.net | MapTool Discord Invite

Download Latest MapTool Release | Download Latest TokenTool Release
Jamz is offline   #42 Reply With Quote
flyteach

Old August 3rd, 2020, 05:23 PM
@Jamz, I'm thinking of not bothering with roll20 character sheets. Just roll the dice roller. I can send the GM a copy of the PDF if they want, but when was the last time a GM checked sheets at a table game? HLO FTW.
flyteach is offline   #43 Reply With Quote
bruuuuuu

Old August 4th, 2020, 06:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregDC View Post
Now that rush around GenCon 2020 Online is over, I heard that HLO was getting closer to creating an export to (and maybe an import from) Roll20. Considering how many of the Paizo games where played on Roll20, I am wondering (aka hoping) that this could be moved up in priority.

Is there any sharable informtion on this?
There's actually quite a bit of information about it, if you bother to read the various messages in the forums here. Rob and the others have stated that this is one of the things that they're working on, and for a variety of reasons, they're not ready yet. From what I've read, they won't be ready for a while yet. There's a lot of heavy lifting to be done, and actual functional, usable solutions aren't as simple as, "Just make an export."

I believe the answer is something like: It won't be this week, it's unlikely that it will be this month, but it may debut in the next year.
bruuuuuu is offline   #44 Reply With Quote
Jamz

Old August 4th, 2020, 08:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyteach View Post
@Jamz, I'm thinking of not bothering with roll20 character sheets. Just roll the dice roller. I can send the GM a copy of the PDF if they want, but when was the last time a GM checked sheets at a table game? HLO FTW.
Ya, there's a lot of truth in that. Granted, it is typically easier to make your rolls with a click and do it somewhere where the GM has access and can view those rolls.

And although the roll20 sheet was a PITA it had it's advantages during play to have a full chat log of what was rolled.

For example, we had active players watching and looking at your rolls and advising, "Hey, it looks like you forgot your +1 on init for scouting" and such. But really, that was about the extent of the "verification". The same would have been accomplished if I clicked a dice roller in HLO and the result went to discord or roll20 chat with the same info like "Treavolli rolls a d20+7 for 18+7=25 for Perception"

Although I accept the fact that Roll20 may not have or build a webhook mechanism, Discord already has it and I could see adding that ability in for MapTool so HLO could just "push" results. But all in all, just an idea on what I'm finding top priority/useful for PF2E at the moment.

-Jamz

Jamz is offline   #45 Reply With Quote
flyteach

Old August 4th, 2020, 10:12 AM
@Jamz, yeah, but I use a TextExpander macro to type in various plusses and then roll. That plus the "advanced" die roller on roll20 and I don't have to bother with the character sheet at all. As a Fantasy Grounds user/GM and using HLO for character creation, I just don't see a reason. Also, the confusion between character sheets (at least for Starfinder) led to a LOT of my frustration/annoyance with roll20. Just not my jam, I guess (pun unintended, but may be applicable).
flyteach is offline   #46 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 5th, 2020, 02:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruuuuuu View Post
There's actually quite a bit of information about it, if you bother to read the various messages in the forums here. Rob and the others have stated that this is one of the things that they're working on, and for a variety of reasons, they're not ready yet. From what I've read, they won't be ready for a while yet. There's a lot of heavy lifting to be done, and actual functional, usable solutions aren't as simple as, "Just make an export."

I believe the answer is something like: It won't be this week, it's unlikely that it will be this month, but it may debut in the next year.
Slightly more promising outlook than that. It won't be this week, it actually might be this month (phase 1, at least), and it will definitely be before the end of the year.

In the meantime, I give you...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNIwlRClHsQ
rob is offline   #47 Reply With Quote
Jamz

Old August 5th, 2020, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
Slightly more promising outlook than that. It won't be this week, it actually might be this month (phase 1, at least), and it will definitely be before the end of the year.

In the meantime, I give you...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNIwlRClHsQ
Ha! "When is now?"

-Jamz

Jamz is offline   #48 Reply With Quote
DJalin1

Old August 29th, 2020, 09:35 PM
I am so looking forward to putting my money and time into a VTT that supports Hero Lab Online and is support by it.

I have been using Roll20 as a Pro User and learning the ins and out, but will change to what I need to. I have been interested in what Foundry looks like.
DJalin1 is offline   #49 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 5th, 2020, 03:05 PM
FYI, I just posted a new status update, which you'll find stickied at the top. In that update, I provide more details about how things are progressing with the VTT integration support.
rob is offline   #50 Reply With Quote