Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Ackron

Old February 18th, 2017, 07:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
How does RW run on your Surface? I've been looking for a windows tablet for a while and the high price of the Surface has put me off till I see one in use and everyone I know has iPads.
It runs better on here than it does on my ASUS gaming laptop, actually. The solid state memory on the Surface easily outperforms the mechanical disk on my laptop. I think RW is more bound by disk speeds than processor and memory given it's design. I can't recommend the Surface highly enough for RW, or just general use.
Ackron is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Kairos
Volunteer Data File Author

Old February 18th, 2017, 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
How does RW run on your Surface? I've been looking for a windows tablet for a while and the high price of the Surface has put me off till I see one in use and everyone I know has iPads.
I run RW on an i5 Surface Pro 3 and have had zero issues. I am a huge fan of the Surface. In use it primarily for tabletop RPG stuff: HeroLab, RW, Fractal Mapped, Roll20, MS Office.

Authoring Kit Rule Sets (now with functioning links!):

Qin: The Warring States

Doctor Who: Adventures in Time and Space

MEGS/BoH/DC Heroes (work in progress)
Kairos is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Turan

Old February 18th, 2017, 12:07 PM
It's also perfectly easy to save a backup database as a file, then use any means you like to get the file to a second computer, where you restore the database. It's a little more complex than syncing, but sometimes this forum forgets that not everyone paid for cloud service
Turan is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old February 18th, 2017, 12:16 PM
Pretty easy to do considering the clock has been stopped on cloud payment for years ��

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Zaphod Beebledoc

Old February 18th, 2017, 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turan View Post
It's also perfectly easy to save a backup database as a file, then use any means you like to get the file to a second computer, where you restore the database. It's a little more complex than syncing, but sometimes this forum forgets that not everyone paid for cloud service
True, but those who got in on the kickstarter and got cloud service, paid upfront for it.

Sleet was enjoying a tasty beverage at his local tavern, when a Tarrasque showed up in the local area. He managed to valiantly get on it's back and ride it. How he did it is a mystery to this day...

RW: Engine Heart, I Love The Corps! Home Brew: Star Gate: Avalon, Monda Minutia. I'm good with: OpenOffice, Paint, Lego Digital Designer. & not so good with: Realm Works, Hero Lab, CC3+, GIMP, Cityographer, Hexographer, Fractal Mapper, AstroSynth, Inspiration Pad Pro. RW Kickstarter Supporter.

Last edited by Zaphod Beebledoc; February 18th, 2017 at 01:35 PM.
Zaphod Beebledoc is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Mystic Lemur

Old February 19th, 2017, 06:30 PM
Investing in a Kickstarter is not the same as paying for a product or service.

Last edited by Mystic Lemur; February 20th, 2017 at 04:07 PM. Reason: speeling
Mystic Lemur is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old February 20th, 2017, 05:10 AM
I run RW on the following systems:

Main desktop:
i5 Skylake / 16GB Ram / SATA SSD

Gamer Lappy
i7 Ivy Bridge / 16GB Ram / SATA SSD

Surface Pro 3
i5 version / 4GB Ram / NVMe SSD

Surface Pro 4 (work)
i5 version / 8GB Ram / NVMe SSD

It runs fantastic on all systems. Having at least an SATA SSD as stated by people does majorly impact performance. The difference in Ram for me has not seemed to make a difference.

Oddly enough it runs slower on my work SP4, however that's more indicative of the crap running on then its own performance. However the SP4 is slower than the SP3 CPU wise, just runs at half the power, giving stellar battery life for such a powerful system.

RW will run on an aging system, but do yourself a favor and add an SSD. The single biggest performance upgrade there is for your PC is an SSD. Even on an older SATA3 based system, adding a value line SSD offers unreal gains. Do not worry about paying for NVMe (if your Mobo has the connector), though faster, reality is the difference between a convention drive vs SATA SSD is the biggest gain and better to put more money into size than the less gains with NVMe.

Also you can buy a budget CPU, faster and less cores over slower more cores, but again stock a SSD in there.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old February 20th, 2017, 10:50 AM
I can absolutely vouch that the ssd will improve your a Realm Works experience. Its like a whole new pc.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old February 20th, 2017, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
I can absolutely vouch that the ssd will improve your a Realm Works experience. Its like a whole new pc.
This. I reported a while back that I was having rather significant performance issues on my laptop. When I got a new laptop with an SSD I've had excellent performance. I liked it so much I went out and got an SSD for my home desktop and went through all the hassle of installing Windows on the new drive just to get the performance boost.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #19 Reply With Quote