Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

bodrin

Old March 29th, 2014, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2Os View Post
Thank you for the responses. I do believe id like to try this, but I saw earlier its currently only for PC. As my only portable devices are an iPad and macbook, I wouldn't be able to make use of it during a session until a compatible one is created which they said isn't anytime soon.
I do have another question. Do you guys not use paper maps, or flip mats? I ask because its been mentioned about revealing certain parts of the map to players. Are you using a monitor laid flat on a table?
I use flip maps to draw the current encounter area on but use a second monitor to reveal the explored areas incrementally.

This way the players know where they are in relation to areas they've already explored and I can display the digital map at anytime without having to flip through modules or other books.

Dormio Forte Somnio

Community Created Resources :
Data Package Repositories :
d20pfsrd
Custom Character Sheets
Community Server Setup (Packs)

Hero Lab Help- Video Tutorials and Pathfinder FAQ

Created by the community for the community
bodrin is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
wbdavison

Old March 29th, 2014, 09:07 AM
I am currently using Roll20 opened in two separate browser windows. One is DM view on my laptop monitor, the other in player view (Roll20 has a relog as player option) and in the second monitor facing the players DM Screen style.

This allows you to use a second monitor to display desired content in both Roll20 and RW. I also keep a chessex mat on the table just in case I have to draw something out on the fly. This tends to take up less time than trying to set up on the fly in Roll20.

Another tip with the Chessex mat is that Crayola washable jumbo crayons and dry erase crayons both work great with the mat. Breaking up crayons gives you various sizes to work with for thicker lines and shading. The washable crayons are the cheapest option.

It pretty much gives me ultimate flexibility in providing dynamic interaction with the group. I tried a projector, but found that the drawbacks outweighed the benefits.
wbdavison is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old March 29th, 2014, 09:07 AM
There is virtual tabletop software that you can use for actual play. You can place virtual map tokens on them for the players and monsters/NPCs. Some of them have dice rollers and keep track of conditions and stats.

But again, the simplest use, and what most people do, is to have the monitor sitting normally on a table or a stand, in a place where players can see it.

You can use the same computer/monitor for both RW and VTT and just switch windows depending on which one you want to use at any given time.
EightBitz is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
H2Os

Old March 29th, 2014, 12:09 PM
Well I went ahead and bit the bullet.
H2Os is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
taxboy

Old March 29th, 2014, 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2Os View Post
Well I went ahead and bit the bullet.
You will love it.

I found it quite hard to get the hang off to start with - read the documents and view the vids first - and i suspect everyone uses it slightly differently.

It took a lot of effort to get the base area of Glorantha information loaded but now as i update it after each game and planning for next session, the connections the players are making are recorded and referenced , and it makes handling a lot of info and NPCs much easier.
taxboy is offline   #15 Reply With Quote