Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Online Forums > Hero Lab Online Discussion

Notices

DJalin1

Old March 10th, 2020, 08:25 PM
I am looking to start an online game with friends and family long distance. I have all the PF2 Books and HLO can handle the book keeping, but I am looking for a good Free VTT to run with it. I have D20Pro and I have played with it a bit. But is there anything that would work better for me to learn to use. Guess I am looking for a simple map / grid / fog of war VTT that doesnt need to handle the system since HLO Does

Thanks for any assistance gamers.
DJalin1 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Valdacil

Old March 10th, 2020, 08:35 PM
There is a good summary here (a little dated but still valid) of Roll20 alternatives. You said 'free VTT' and Roll20 does have a free offering (albiet a bit limited). The author of the post is specifically discussing Roll20 alternatives, so doesn't list Pros/Cons of Roll20 itself.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Roll20/comm...ternatives_is/
Valdacil is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
DJalin1

Old March 11th, 2020, 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdacil View Post
Thanks for the List
Anyone have any play experience with any of the listed VTT tools?
DJalin1 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old March 11th, 2020, 02:02 PM
I've used MapTool for years, and though it's admittedly quirky you can't beat the price. While it's capable of running advanced tools, I don't use the macro capability or game system frameworks, just the basic map capabilities (including Fog of War).

The main RPTools site appears to be under DDoS attack at the moment but you can download the latest version (1.5.14, not counting the 1.6 beta) at GitHub here and there is a documentation wiki available as well.

Currently Running: Pathfinder Second Edition
Currently Playing:
Pathfinder First Edition, Star Trek Adventures
Former HL Games: D&D 4e & 5e, Mutants & Masterminds 2E & 3E, Savage Worlds
charlieluce is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Duskrunner

Old April 14th, 2020, 01:48 PM
Hi All,

To add to this, have any of you figured out how to link HLO into any VTT, so that any changes that take place in HLO gets pushed into that VTT? I am thinking about starting a game and am looking for this feature for my players so we dont have to keep jumping back and forth, as well as updating. If so which VTT. I am not worried about price as I am of ease of use and functionality.
Duskrunner is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Nightstar

Old April 14th, 2020, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskrunner View Post
Hi All,

To add to this, have any of you figured out how to link HLO into any VTT, so that any changes that take place in HLO gets pushed into that VTT? I am thinking about starting a game and am looking for this feature for my players so we dont have to keep jumping back and forth, as well as updating. If so which VTT. I am not worried about price as I am of ease of use and functionality.
Can't be done. If you use HLC, you can do it, with fantasy grounds at the very least.

But no, HLO is all about the future, and that means using your phones at the gaming table in person only with a dedicated internet connection the entire time.
Nightstar is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old April 14th, 2020, 11:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstar View Post
If you use HLC, you can do it, with fantasy grounds at the very least.
I'm fairly sure that this isn't an integration - it is export from HLC and an import to FG.

Proper integration keeps the character sheet in HLC/HLO and allows a VTT to interrogate and modify properties of the character on-the-fly.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
LazarX

Old July 27th, 2020, 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstar View Post
Can't be done. If you use HLC, you can do it, with fantasy grounds at the very least.

But no, HLO is all about the future, and that means using your phones at the gaming table in person only with a dedicated internet connection the entire time.
I've tried using Herolab with Fantasy Grounds and the import is charitably described as "partially" functional.

Then again, that's the same description I'd apply to Fantasy Grounds as it's dog slow and dodgy crash prone software even on a modern machine.
LazarX is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 14th, 2020, 08:30 PM
As has been established in other threads, @Nightstar doesn't agree with the path we've chosen for HLO, so s/he chose to be rather disingenuous in the post above. Alas, that was probably self-evident from the tone s/he used.

I have openly stated in various threads here that integration with VTTs is something very high on our priority list right now. We do NOT yet have something available, but we expect to have our end of it ready in the weeks ahead (not months, but weeks).

I'm not sure how much work is involved on the VTT side. I'm sure that will vary depending on the VTT and an assortment of factors. I do know that a long-time contributor to the aforementioned MapTools has expressed an eagerness to get the data from us and is anxiously waiting for the ability to integrate with that tool. That's based on his comments in one of the other threads where this subject was discussed.

So we don't have something in place yet, but we're working on it. And MapTool will likely be one of the first, if not THE first, to have some level of integration.

Hope this helps!
rob is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Dragnmoon

Old April 14th, 2020, 09:13 PM
I would recommend putting effort in contacting the VTTs that have greater interaction and (Offical) support for Starfinder, PF2 and Shadowrun.

Astral - PF2
Roll20 - PF2, Starfinder
Fantasy Grounds - PF2, Starfinder
D20Pro - Starfinder

I am not seeing one that has official support with Shadowrun, but I could be missing it.
Dragnmoon is offline   #10 Reply With Quote