Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System

Notices

Lawful_g
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old August 18th, 2009, 05:17 AM
A good place to start is with the tutorial, which you can find under the help menu in the editor. It will walk you through the basics, and if you have any questions (which I am sure you will) feel free to ask here in the forums. Mgehl is the master, but I can probably help you with simple things.
Lawful_g is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Invictus

Old August 20th, 2009, 01:15 PM
I've figured out a fair amount at this point, pretty much have the basics. It's oddball, special things that a class can do or gets as a benefit at a given level that I'm most interested in learning right now. Say, for example, the "Grace" class feature of the Completer Warrior's "Swashbuckler". It's a bonus to Reflex saves gained at 2, and improves at 11 and 20. It only applies when wearing light or no armor with light or no load. I see the Special Ability Info button, and it should obviously be put there, but it doesn't show up on the Character Sheet and clearly I wish it would. Presumably the "Special" tab is what I need, but looking at it, I don't see how to go about it.
Invictus is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Lawful_g

Old August 20th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Well actually, since it is something you get from a class, "class special" would probably be the more appropriate tag. Oftentimes you can see how to do things by looking at eval scripts already programmed things in HL, for example, the ranger's Evasion requires being in light armor for it to work. You can access the SRD classes through the editor through Open File -> Source folder -> appropriate class or you can just New (Copy) the appropriate special and look at the evals there.

From the ranger's class special evasion I see:

~ If we're wearing medium or worse armor, get out
if (hero.tagis[Hero.MedArmor] + hero.tagis[Hero.HeavyArmor] <> 0) then
var result as number
result = delete[Helper.ShowSpec]
done
endif

Barbarian's Fast movement requires you not be heavily encumbered. I would use Monk's fast movement, but it seems to have dissappeared from the program mysteriously.... Anyway from that eval script I pull:

var result as number
~ If we fail the test for being speedy, get out
if (hero.tagis[Encumbered.Light] + hero.tagis[Encumbered.Medium] = 0) then
result = assign[Helper.SpcDisable]
done
elseif (hero.tagis[Hero.HeavyArmor] <> 0) then
done
endif

And finally, adding a bonus based on level requires you to first get your level, and determine the bonus based on that. There are many abilities you can copy to see how to program a variable bonus, and to see how to add to reflex saves, look at the Lightning Reflexes feat. Here is some code I pulled:

~ Get the bonus based on our level
var bonus as number
var level as number
level = field[xTotalLev].value
if (level < 5) then
bonus = -2
elseif (level < 9) then
bonus = -1
else
bonus = 0
endif

container.child[vRef].field[Bonus].value = container.child[vRef].field[Bonus].value + 2

Now you just have to combine the pieces you have gathered and test the code. It may take a little bit of fiddling. I have found that the hardest thing is often getting the right timing for it to work. Here is the final code I would try testing.

var result as number
~ If we fail the test for being speedy, get out
~ Note that I switched this around a little, due to personal preference
if (hero.tagis[Encumbered.Medium] + hero.tagis[Encumbered.Heavy] <> 0) then
done
elseif (hero.tagis[Hero.MedArmor] + hero.tagis[Hero.HeavyArmor] <> 0) then
done
endif

~ Get the bonus based on our level
var bonus as number
var level as number
level = field[xTotalLev].value
if (level >= 20) then
bonus = 3
elseif (level >= 11) then
bonus = 2
else
bonus = 1
endif

~ Note that the bonus is a Competence bonus, so I have changed what was previously .field[Bonus] to .field[BonComp]
container.child[vRef].field[BonComp].value = container.child[vRef].field[BonComp].value + bonus

Feel free to ask any questions about other class specials and whatnot. You may also want to talk to chiefweasel about posting your finished file for the community to share, he is setting up a website where I am planning to post mine at least.
Lawful_g is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
jack-slash

Old August 22nd, 2009, 08:47 PM
What eval script would use for the AC bonus you get with the ninja class?
jack-slash is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Lawful_g

Old August 22nd, 2009, 09:12 PM
The Ninja's AC bonus works almost exactly the same as the monk's AC bonus, I would look there for inspiration for your eval script. Note that since they do not stack, you'll have to add an if-then statement to eliminate overlaps.
Lawful_g is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
jack-slash

Old August 22nd, 2009, 09:24 PM
already tried that nothing came up for the ac bonus
jack-slash is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
jack-slash

Old August 22nd, 2009, 09:51 PM
any other ideas
jack-slash is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 22nd, 2009, 10:44 PM
You'll have to be more specific about how you implemented your AC bonus; what does your script say? What timing does it use?
Mathias is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Lawful_g

Old August 22nd, 2009, 10:47 PM
Nothing came up? What do you mean? You copied it through the editor and there was no Eval Script?

If that is the case, you probably copied one of the later Monk AC bonus specials. Generally the very first special has all the coding included in it, and the rest are merely placeholders. The correct one should be named "Improved Armor Class" and the unique ID should be "cMnkAC".

If you copy this one, there should be a button on the upper right that says "Eval Scripts", click on that to see the coding. Did that help you find it?
Lawful_g is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
jack-slash

Old August 22nd, 2009, 10:54 PM
thats what i need to know how to set up a script
jack-slash is offline   #20 Reply With Quote