Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD

Notices

BlueArcher

Old November 6th, 2019, 05:49 AM
Hi

I'm creating an animal companion for a player and I need to add it's natural attacks. I set it up with the Racial Special Abilities I needed - attach those to the Race - then create the Minion from that. It's avian, so it has talons (that's easy, I can use wTalon) but I want to add another attack - it can basically shoot its feathers at an enemy. So I've been trying to find where to add this in - natural attacks don't show up on the Weapons tab (in the editor) and I can't find any other place.

I tried setting it up as a Racial Special Ability, but I can't give it the attack stats (i.e. the to-hit bonus - it just defaults to the BAB).

I tried using wOtherRng (that Manticore uses) but this doesn't let me add a name for the attack and shows up as a Manticore attack on the sheet.

Help!
BlueArcher is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old November 6th, 2019, 08:49 AM
There's a bit of a tutorial over on the github wiki: https://github.com/Sklore/HL_DD_5e_C...atural-Attacks

This article describes some of the fields and tags used with the natural attacks to override damage types or ability modifiers.

You could easily add it using the wOtherRng, but you'll want to change/add at least the following fields:

livename (set it to the full name like Feather Toss)
sbName (usually I set it to the livename but if it's really long you can abbreviate for it to show up in a statblock (sb=statblock here)

wRangeNorm and wRangeLong - set these to the normal range and long range numbers.
dungeonguru is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
athelu

Old December 13th, 2019, 10:35 AM
so is there no way to actually add new types of natural attacks? I am attempting to do the same thing - i have created a new creature and need a new natural ranged attack type.
athelu is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Fenris447

Old December 13th, 2019, 11:05 AM
I don't know where you'd add it, though I assume there's a way.

But if you go by that linked tutorial, you don't need to add a new one. You just do the "other ranged" and change it to fit. You'd go crazy if you had to add a whole new type of attack every time you added a monster that has an attack with a different name. Changing the existing ones is way easier.

Found an issue with or have a suggestion for the 5e Community Pack? Please post it here at our GitHub.

Feel free to stop by the Lone Wolf Development Subreddit, for discussion of any and all LWD products and community efforts!
Fenris447 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old December 13th, 2019, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenris447 View Post
You just do the "other ranged" and change it to fit. You'd go crazy if you had to add a whole new type of attack every time you added a monster.
Pretty much easier to copy something and override the name.

I don't think LW wants you to create new Natural weapons, the claw, bite and other things are in a component group that doesn't have an editor tab. (if you look, a bite has a tag of component.BaseNatWep where a dagger lives in component.BaseWep.

For the record, nearly all the natural attacks for creatures in the community files use the "other melee" or "other ranged" objects and overwrite names using the livename and sbName.
dungeonguru is offline   #5 Reply With Quote