Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

zarlor

Old September 4th, 2013, 10:02 AM
Testing these I see that let's say you have a d6 Agility, then buy Super Attribute to take it to d8. Fighting, and Agility skill, properly costs 1 to buy, 1 to raise to d6 but then ends up costing 2 to go to d8, when it should only cost 1. So that does seem wrong.

Altered Form gives a conditional +4 Toughness (as armor). You get EITHER "+4 armor against attacks resulting from other matter and kinetics (including bullets, fists, etc.)." OR "+4 armor versus energy attacks but no protection against physical damage" So in that sense it might be nice to have the selectable option on the "In-Play" tab turn this on or off for you (maybe, since you can be in the altered for but still not gain the Toughness modifier if you're taking damage of the wrong type), but I can see where it shouldn't just directly add the +4 modifier to Toughness. It should show the same as the Armor power does in the sense that it should, when selected, add 4 to the Toughness value and then show a (4) in parenthesis after it.

On the Armor in a Device... I'm not sure what you're looking for from that. You get a check-box on the In-Play tab so if you are wearing the device that gives you the armor leave it checked, but if you're not then it should be unchecked. I'm not sure the program can handle changing the name on the Armory tab to something other than "Natural Armor", though, but there are other cases where if you right-click the name you can change it. So I think the best option here would be if LWD gave us the ability to rename that.

For "Also, natural damge is the same as the magic sword' damage, even though it's listed as a device. Natural damage sould be just strength." I can't quite figure out what that means. How are you adding either of those things?

Same with the Ranged Attack question. I can add a Composite Bow, but when I addd the Super Power: Attack, Ranged it doesn't add anything like a new item to my sheet or anything, other than the entry for it on the In-Play tab (which lists 2d6, although it would be nice to have something for it listed on the "Armory" column.)

The only Sword I see is for a VibroSword which has not extra notes on it. So I'm not sure how you're doing some of that stuff (but I'm also not that familiar with using the Super Powers Companion, either, as we have yet to play a Supers-based game in my local group, so I haven't really had the need.)

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
kturock

Old September 4th, 2013, 10:18 AM
I've set up a character with ranged SP attack and melee SR attack. Both are in devices. A bow for the ranged and a sword for melee. In the top right corner of the character sheet, the Attack Powers Summary has the the bow factored in for ranged attack, but the sword isn't factored in to the sword attack.

The character has the super power armor in a device, like magic armor in a fantasy setting. Under the Armory tab, under Armor & shields, natural armor is listed for the super power. It should be listed as the device. Natural armor isn't removable, a device is.
kturock is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old September 4th, 2013, 10:33 AM
How did you put the Super Power specifically in a Bow or Sword, as the case may be?

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
kturock

Old September 4th, 2013, 10:44 AM
it's added to bow, but not sword.. I did it last night but don't recall now. It was a dropdown or such when I set up the power.
Is there a way I could send you the character sheets?
kturock is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old September 4th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Yeah, you could send the .por file. When you do a File -> Save Portfolio you should be able to see where it's saving the files on your computer. Just attach that to a post here should do it. I'll keep looking to see if I can figure it out, but I just didn't see a way to do that. You're already ahead of me on that front!

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Coming Eventually
zarlor is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
kturock

Old September 4th, 2013, 10:58 AM
here's the file. Characters called Waylander.
Attached Files
File Type: email Waylander.por (15.8 KB, 1 views)
kturock is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old September 4th, 2013, 11:32 AM
Hmm.. I see that you have gear, a purchased Longsword, Bow, Pot Helm and Leather Armor and I can see, separately, that you wrote in Trappings for the Attack, Melee power for "Magical sword." and for Attack, Ranged of "Bow" but those all look like completely separate things to me. So you have just a plain, buy out of the book, "Bow" and the same of "Longsword" and you have the two Super Powers, but those powers don't show up as either gear or on the Armory column (although it might be nice, since they are attack powers, if they did show up on the Armory column), but I don't see that any of those things are related at all. Now if you are on the "In-Play" tab and hover over the ? next to the Super Powers it should give you the details for them, though.

I did notice that the Longsword does show a listing for "Special: +3d6", as does Unarmed Strike, for that matter. So presumably Attack. Melee is adding that "Special" onto to there as a reminder that it can be stacked even with mundane weapons (depending on the trappings, so if you your "device" had a trapping fo a "Vibro Glove" then even as a device it could stack, but if it were a Sword on it's own, then it shouldn't stack but I don't think there is any good way to tell the program that level of granularity.)

Same of the Armor issue. I think it would be nice if we could change the name from "Natural Armor" to something appropriate for your trappings. You still wouldn't be able to uncheck it from the Armory tab, but you could uncheck it on the In-Play tab, which would be the same as "taking it off"

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Coming Eventually
zarlor is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
kturock

Old September 4th, 2013, 11:48 AM
Go to print preview. The ranged attack shows 3d6. 2d6 from the bow and 1d6 from the super power. the melee attack with the sword should be str+d8+3d6, since the power is a device. Check the scrapper archtype from the book. same power but in a katana, str+3d6+2. d6+2 from the katana, +2d6 from the sp in the device {sword}.

wow, for a finished product. HL is looking more and more like a beta.
The charactr sheet should reflect how the character is in play. Notes maybe needed for special cercumstances, but to have to have the program running to play a character? WTF?
kturock is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old September 4th, 2013, 12:01 PM
Well, IMHO, the printed sheet could be better (and I've recently added a request in the "new features" thread for just that). But, to be honest, using HL at the table is, I think, one of the powers of the program. I don't have to print out sheets and have a lot more flexibility with the program right in front of me. For GMs you even have the Tactical Console to work with as well, although it's probably not really needed for SW in the way it is for something like Pathfinder.

For getting something like those Super Powers to combine with mundane items, though, in a program... I'd say if you wand to run it as an item specifically you'd probably want to MAKE the item in a .user file and just equip that. If you changed the Super Power you'd also need to change the item, but you'd have it as an item if that's where you wanted to look for it on your sheet. I need to re-download MetaCreator but I don't think that program gets anywhere doing this kind of stuff either with stacking like that. At least Hero Lab gets close. Nothing else I've seen can do it at all. Trying to get all of those possible interactions is not something I, personally, would consider something out of a beta product, that stuff is really, really complex.

Don't get me wrong, I have my share of issues with Hero Lab (and character sheets is a big one since I often maintain sheets for other players in the group who only play with paper at the table), but so far at least it gets close.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Coming Eventually
zarlor is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old September 13th, 2013, 09:00 PM
zarlor's correct, the "Special: +3d6" is where that's noted. You have to realize that the bonus value on the sheet is constructed of strings, not numeric values. Because of that, it can be difficult to add so many differing values into one total value to display. The bonus from a SPC Super Power add is one of those. There are others that use that space for additional modifiers as well.

I'll see if I can make it more intelligent. I was more concerned at the time with making all special modifiers for weapons visible on the sheet where they weren't before. And it's not a beta, but it is definitely a work in progress that we're always looking to improve.

_
Currently In Development: Savage Pathfinder, SWADE Fantasy Companion
Future Development: SWADE Super Powers Companion, SWADE Sci-Fi Companion
_
Currently Running: Savage Unity Inc. (homebrew multiverse theme)
Setting Files Supported: Deadlands: Reloaded, Flash Gordon, Gaslight, Hellfrost, Interface Zero 2.0, Seven Worlds, Slipstream, Solomon Kane
Future Setting Files: Savage Judge Dredd
CapedCrusader is online now   #20 Reply With Quote