Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

ruhar

Old August 27th, 2014, 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
Late Monday, we discovered a nasty gotcha with the way Player Edition was handling certain things. It's a subtle but critical thing that a single Beta team member uncovered by having just the right combination of data. We've since figured out how we're going to solve the issue, but it's not something we'll be able to get fixed for a Beta release this week. So....

The active plan is to put out another Beta release this week, but it won't resolve this new issue. After that, we'll need to fix the nasty issue, and I'm guessing we'll end up putting out another Beta release next week to ensure that we've fixed it properly before releasing it to everyone. The actual fix itself involves fixing up the data in everyone's realms, so it's a complicated fix.

Bottom line: We're very close, and we're shaking out (and fixing) the final issues.
Well darn. I had my fingers and toes crossed. Damn bugs. We've waited this long so we can survive another week or two. Despite this set back I hope you're going to leave the program at the office and enjoy the long weekend that's coming up.
ruhar is offline   #91 Reply With Quote
bodrin

Old August 27th, 2014, 03:28 PM
Quote:
The active plan is to put out another Beta release this week, but it won't resolve this new issue. After that, we'll need to fix the nasty issue, and I'm guessing we'll end up putting out another Beta release next week to ensure that we've fixed it properly before releasing it to everyone. The actual fix itself involves fixing up the data in everyone's realms, so it's a complicated fix.

Bottom line: We're very close, and we're shaking out (and fixing) the final issues.
So if you have to fix the data in everyone's realms does this mean I might be able to login and sync without the -500 error I've been getting?

And before you ask if I've logged a bug report Yes, it's an ongoing problem.

Dormio Forte Somnio

Community Created Resources :
Data Package Repositories :
d20pfsrd
Custom Character Sheets
Community Server Setup (Packs)

Hero Lab Help- Video Tutorials and Pathfinder FAQ

Created by the community for the community
bodrin is offline   #92 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 28th, 2014, 04:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodrin View Post
So if you have to fix the data in everyone's realms does this mean I might be able to login and sync without the -500 error I've been getting?
Your ears must have been burning when you posted this. David and I were discussing your issue right around the time you posted.

Your issue is special. There is exactly one other instance of this problem that we've identified thus far. It's a database that I created. We've identified what's wrong with the two databases, but we have not yet been able to figure out why they got into that condition in the first place. And fixing them is a complicated undertaking due to the nature of the problem. We've spent many hours on the problem and determined that it's not something we're going to be able to fully research and properly solve until after we get Player Edition finished.

This is an unfortunate reality of being a member of the Beta team. You and I have both managed to get ourselves into a weird state. And we're both stuck with using sneaker-net to move our databases between computers until this can be properly sorted out. I wholly understand the annoyance factor, since I'm living with it as well. My database includes all the work I've done on Rise of the Runelords, which is rather substantial.

I wish I had better news for you. You're definitely not being ignored, even if it may feel like it right now. We're just in the classic quandary of "needs of the many" trumping "needs of the few" right now. I know it's not much consolation, but I'm feeling your pain myself.
rob is offline   #93 Reply With Quote
bodrin

Old August 28th, 2014, 03:15 PM
Quote:
Your issue is special. There is exactly one other instance of this problem that we've identified thus far. It's a database that I created. We've identified what's wrong with the two databases, but we have not yet been able to figure out why they got into that condition in the first place. And fixing them is a complicated undertaking due to the nature of the problem. We've spent many hours on the problem and determined that it's not something we're going to be able to fully research and properly solve until after we get Player Edition finished.

I wish I had better news for you. You're definitely not being ignored, even if it may feel like it right now. We're just in the classic quandary of "needs of the many" trumping "needs of the few" right now. I know it's not much consolation, but I'm feeling your pain myself.
I don't feel like I'm ignored, I'm happy I'm a beta user and that I've managed to unearth a "Special" situation.

Hopefully it will eventually be fixed which will mean that nobody should suffer the same situation.
Fortune favours the brave!

Dormio Forte Somnio

Community Created Resources :
Data Package Repositories :
d20pfsrd
Custom Character Sheets
Community Server Setup (Packs)

Hero Lab Help- Video Tutorials and Pathfinder FAQ

Created by the community for the community
bodrin is offline   #94 Reply With Quote
Coldashes

Old September 17th, 2014, 06:33 PM
Any updates on the release of the Player Edition?
Coldashes is offline   #95 Reply With Quote
liz
Ex-Staff
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 18th, 2014, 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldashes View Post
Any updates on the release of the Player Edition?
It's still in beta! We're hoping to get another (it's looking like last) beta update out in the next few days. The Realm Works team has been making steady progress thanks to the fantastic feedback from our beta users. THANKS BETA USERS!
liz is offline   #96 Reply With Quote
jacook

Old September 18th, 2014, 05:43 PM
Are we having scope creep issues? Whats going on? How long must we wait for the functionality promised in the Kickstarter?

I love you guys but you really need to work on your market launch plans.
jacook is offline   #97 Reply With Quote
jkthomsen9

Old September 18th, 2014, 06:03 PM
I am curious if there is a good business reason to not release the beta in mass? This could give people the option to try it, being fully aware it is a beta version and give you guys a larger pool of people for feedback for possible bugs.
jkthomsen9 is offline   #98 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old September 18th, 2014, 06:06 PM
I know it's frustrating, jacook, but they are busting their backs to get everything done and ensure the product isn't buggy when it's released. I'd rather wait than get a buggy program like Micro$oft. They could work on a better launch plan, but they also had unexpected staff changes and problems. I bet their next program will have a better launch plan. :-D
ruhar is offline   #99 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old September 18th, 2014, 06:27 PM
Quote:
This could give people the option to try it, being fully aware it is a beta version and give you guys a larger pool of people for feedback for possible bugs.
If you think the whining about not having access to the player version is bad.... I can't even imagine how many people would ignore the bold HUGE flashing notice while purchasing, while installing and while loading stating:

WARNING THIS IS A BETA PRODUCT AND IS NOT REPRESENTATIVE OF THE FINAL PRODUCT

and who would immediately come to these forums demanding in no uncertain terms that they are entitled to a full refund for their entire gaming collection because LW should never have knowingly released buggy software and no, they didn't see the warning....

Seriously, why do you hate Liz so much?
AEIOU is offline   #100 Reply With Quote