Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

morval

Old November 26th, 2014, 01:20 AM
I for some reason just assumed PE was realtime sync, I thought that was the reason for the cloud, like how Roll20 uses the cloud, never really looked too hard at the specs I guess.

That's too bad its not, anyone not playing face to face will not find it as useful. Even face to face I'd rather have a live PE that any player could bring up on their own notebook, live no syncing required. Then they can move around looking up things while others take notes while on the big screen the GM displays what information he wants them to see via PV.

Maybe the PE web version could be live sync when the GM syncs so the players don't have to sync at least?

For non face to face games if I was a player I would love to have a VTT open on one screen and PE open on another if it was live syncing. Just imagine all the world's info at your finger tips.

If I was the player I would still find PE as is very useful, but most of my players will never use it in between sessions. They might bring it up during a session on their own notebook and see information they needed even if its not synced, that could be useful. So I think I'll hold off on that five PE purchase I was about to do. Will just use PV for our face to face and live with that.

My ultimate wish would be for a RW that was more like the Roll20 model. Everyone connects to a central server and sees all the data change in real time. Even better then would be different player views like you can do with roll20. So you can reveal information to some players, but not others, etc.

The problem with using just PV during the face to face is the players can't add notes about things they find during the session directly in RW since its all on the GM's computer. That would be more useful for players I think. THey come upon a NPC, ask some questions, then jot some notes down about the guy, we need to ask him something else next day or he is hiding something. Then when you don't play for another month you can see your notes. Yes you can do these notes between sessions, but my players won't unfortunately.

But I still think RW is a great program, can't wait for the calendar, would love weather!
morval is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
weogarth

Old November 26th, 2014, 03:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking2054 View Post
We're still waiting for the survey. But LWD announced they'd be sending out a survey sometime in the near or not so near future, only LWD knows when. But if I recall correctly LWD was going to put up for vote via the survey what people wanted to see worked on the most. I'm not sure, but I think I remember the survey being broken down into a couple of areas... Major things that would consume most of the developers time and then Simpler things that could be worked on when some of the developers have a spare hour or two while waiting for something or someone.
There was a post in the last week or so that indicated that it was coming out in early December.

<hypnotize>Calendar is #1</hypnotize>
weogarth is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
Seregil

Old November 26th, 2014, 04:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by weogarth View Post
There was a post in the last week or so that indicated that it was coming out in early December.

<hypnotize>Calendar is #1</hypnotize>
no....

Seregil is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
Chemlak

Old November 26th, 2014, 04:31 AM
My EYES!

All glory to hypnotoad...

Calendars are number 1.

With journals a close second.
Chemlak is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
Tharmiones

Old November 26th, 2014, 05:11 AM
I find Individual Player Reveal, Web Access and Content Market somehow more important.
But I guess everyone has the personal opinion on that. Can't wait for the Survey.
Tharmiones is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
Seregil

Old November 26th, 2014, 05:15 AM
well, I'll agree on the Web access. Most of my players have tablets at the table.
Seregil is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old November 26th, 2014, 06:13 AM
To hell with the survey.

Monies were exchanged for the KickStarter. A contract was entered into. It is not being honored. I'm pretty damned irked that we don't know when we'll receive the product we were promised while LWD plays smoke and mirrors, woe-is-me, work-work-work. I expected the full package in July 2013 as promised and now we're 1.5 years later with many primary features completely in limbo. No basic implementation. No build on it later. Just nothing there. I'm done with excuses.

As clearly stated on January 25, 2013 by Rob:
@David Rosson: Printing support will be provided, but that's not the primary focus of Realm Works, so it won't be highly sophisticated in the initial release. For example, there won't be lots of formatting options to make the output especially pretty. The emphasis will be on functionality instead.
Some of your examples could be construed as being driven by potentially complex queries, and that's not part of the initial release plan. However, there will be a moderate level of filtering provided that should satisfy the majority of users' needs. A sophisticated printing engine that supports complex queries is definitely something we could add. As I've mentioned to a few others, the evolution of Realm Works will be primarily driven by what customers ask for. If highly flexible printing is a priority to users, that's what we'll focus on after initial release.
AEIOU is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
Chemlak

Old November 26th, 2014, 06:24 AM
User-defined calendars were also part of the "initial release" sales pitch, they exist and are currently disabled.

Software development, yada yada.

There are a number of features that were "promised" and aren't there. The survey will help guide their development schedule.

Right now survey > original sales pitch features.
Chemlak is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old November 26th, 2014, 07:11 AM
It wasn't a pitch. Monies were exchanged for promises made.

The promises need to be fulfilled in the most expeditious manner, not by a farcical vote. All of the promises. The devs know what needs to be done and what the contingencies are. GET IT DONE.
AEIOU is offline   #29 Reply With Quote
Seregil

Old November 26th, 2014, 07:26 AM
Sorry to be an ass but your contract also includes the following:

Quote:
Risks and challenges

Every project has risks, and software projects are notorious for delays. The key difference for Realm Works is that most of the work on Realm Works has already been completed, so there’s virtually no risk to product delivery.

...blah, blah, blah, we're great....

As with any software project, there is a chance that the release of Realm Works could be delayed, either due to problems on our part (a delay in hiring additional staff, for example) or because additional functionality is needed before the product is ready. This could impact the release of Realm Works to the public.

It’s also possible that we could face unexpected challenges in building Realm Works’ cloud capabilities. Building a multi-user server system is a lot of work and involves a lot of complexity. However, we've spent a lot of time coming up with a solid design for this, and have good tools to build it, so we’re confident that we can make this happen.

With your support, we can put the last building blocks in place and bring Realm Works to gamers everywhere!
then there is this from the Kickstarter site:
Quote:
Kickstarter does not guarantee projects or investigate a creator's ability to complete their project. On Kickstarter, backers (you!) ultimately decide the validity and worthiness of a project by whether they decide to fund it.
Now, had you BOUGHT the software at date X and the current features AT THAT TIME were said to be Y and it wasn't true, THEN you certainly have a case.

Yes, you can complain, yes, some features are taking longer than promised, but YES, you were told that it was a possibility, particularly at the Kickstarter phase.

I paid 250$ for a lifetime membership on Obsidian portal during their kickstarter. Most of their objectives have not been completed and the devs have all but disappeared from the site. Well, I'm a lifetime member all right, but the features I wanted will probably never materialize (which is why I picked up RW). Getting pissy on the forums won't change anything, for you or me, and it will just poison the atmosphere.

So, respectfully, please, can we tone it down a notch? I saw the forums on OP go downhill this way and I would like to avoid it happening here. RW is far further along the list of things to do than OP is and they seem to be moving in the right direction if not quite at the speed we'd all like.
Seregil is offline   #30 Reply With Quote