Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

bradap

Old January 10th, 2020, 07:42 AM
I am looking/thinking of creating some magic items and custom spells for out game. The magic items out DM is giving use are simple like a +1 warhammer that casts Cure Wounds 3 times a day. I want to add these new items and the bonus spells appear in the daily spell list.

So I ask can someone point me to how to create this new SRD or files?
Is it possible to add bonus spells to an item?
Is it possible to add bonus spells to the PC list?

Thanks
Brad
bradap is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Brolthemighty

Old January 13th, 2020, 03:18 PM
As a newbie at the editor myself, the best advice I can give you is to try and find a similar item and see how it’s coded. And really that goes for anything you want to add custom.
Brolthemighty is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old January 14th, 2020, 07:08 AM
The help file for the editor is pretty good to help point you in the right direction. If you go to the Tools menu and select Show Editor it will launch the editor and you can look at the Help menu there. This is assuming you have a PC or Mac. If you have an iPad there's not a lot of help to be found here, I'm not sure the editor is even built on that client.

Regardless, if you can get into the editor you just need to make sure to save your files in the programdata folder for hero labs (this is by default C:\ProgramData\Hero Lab\data\5e) when you get done creating a new file.

What I would suggest for your warhammer is to maybe get in the editor under the equipment tab and new(copy) the mace of smiting. You'll have to find where it says mace and replace it with warhammer, and then hit the Gizmo button and change where it bootstraps mace and replace it with warhammer. Adding the spells is done down lower under the Edit button next to Castable Spells.

I don't suggesting trying to copy Weapon, +1 since that's such a generic item. The mace of smiting is a +1 weapon without any scripting on it and is easier to "fix".

Quote:
Is it possible to add bonus spells to an item?
I don't think there's an adjustment or an easy method, so if you follow the instructions above to copy an item and make changes there is a better bet.

Quote:
Is it possible to add bonus spells to the PC list?
It is. There is an adjustment to add another classes spell list to yours if that works. Otherwise there are a few options.

If the spell already exists, you can go to the General tab of the editor and there's an extend ID sub-tab. You basically have to click the Find Thing button after you create a new entry here. You find the spell and when you get back to the editor replace the ? under Group ID with sClass and then for the Tag id you'll need the tag of the class you're adding it to.

So if you wanted to add Cure Wounds to the Wizard class it would look like this:
Unique ID: spCureWoun
Group ID: sClass
Tag ID: cHelpWiz

the tag IDs are: cHelpBrd, cHelpClr, cHelpDrd, cHelpPal, cHelpRgr, cHelpSor, cHelpWlk and cHelpWiz for the spellcasting class lists - the rogue and fighter subclasses that get spells use one of the other class lists.

Once you save or test this it will force you to restart Hero Lab.

If it's a new spell, you add new spells under the Class tab and select which classes get the spell. You'll understand if you go into that area to create a new spell.
dungeonguru is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
bradap

Old January 14th, 2020, 11:52 AM
Thank you guys for the replies. I was using iOS, I wish there was am Android version, just got the PC version and will start looking at the help files.
bradap is offline   #4 Reply With Quote