Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

alientude

Old March 4th, 2013, 11:19 PM
This is such an amazing addition to Hero Lab. I've been creating creatures using the editor, and I thought it was a good way of doing so once I got past the learning curve, but you guys have really outdone yourselves with the Bestiary Monster Creation. No more saving and reloading data files to check stats/skills/etc. No more constantly referencing the Bestiary to check the recommended stats by CR. No more creating new racial abilities that are identical to those possessed by other creatures except the flavor text. It's all right there in one tab, easily accessible.

I can still see myself using the editor for some things, but this new addition is going to be such a huge time saver. I just created a CR 16 elder force elemental using it in 15 minutes, complete with new special abilities, spell-likes, and everything. So easy, and so awesome.

Kudos, Lone Wolf!
alientude is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Drake1977

Old March 5th, 2013, 11:48 PM
I've yet to try it out yet, so use to creating with the tool set. From what I've read this will make things so much easier and headache free.
Drake1977 is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
ddufour1395

Old March 6th, 2013, 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alientude View Post
This is such an amazing addition to Hero Lab. I've been creating creatures using the editor, and I thought it was a good way of doing so once I got past the learning curve, but you guys have really outdone yourselves with the Bestiary Monster Creation. No more saving and reloading data files to check stats/skills/etc. No more constantly referencing the Bestiary to check the recommended stats by CR. No more creating new racial abilities that are identical to those possessed by other creatures except the flavor text. It's all right there in one tab, easily accessible.

I can still see myself using the editor for some things, but this new addition is going to be such a huge time saver. I just created a CR 16 elder force elemental using it in 15 minutes, complete with new special abilities, spell-likes, and everything. So easy, and so awesome.

Kudos, Lone Wolf!
Where is this Bestiary Monster Creation?
ddufour1395 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 6th, 2013, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddufour1395 View Post
Where is this Bestiary Monster Creation?
You need to have the license for "Bestiary 1". If so check mark that source in your "Configure Your Hero" window. Go to the "Background" tab and click to add a new race. One of the new options is "Bestiary Monster Creation".

This new "Race" allows you to totally custom build a monster using all the existing Abilities that are in the different books. You can add attacks, spells, DR and many many other things. The tool then gives you an idea compared to other Monsters of that CR if your values are too high, too low, or just right.

It is pretty cool actually.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.

Last edited by ShadowChemosh; March 30th, 2013 at 06:07 PM.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
ddufour1395

Old March 6th, 2013, 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
You need to have the license for "Bestiary 1". If so check mark that source in your "Configure Your Hero" window. Go to the "Race" tab and click to add a new race. One of the new options is "Monster Creator" or something like that (sorry not near HL).

This new "Race" allows you to totally custom build a monster using all the existing Abilities that are in the different books. You can add attacks, spells, DR and many many other things. The tool then gives you an idea compared to other Monsters of that CR if your values are too high, too low, or just right.

I have all the current available packages. It was like you said, Bestiary was not enabled and there it was under the Race menu when it was.

Thank you.
ddufour1395 is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
WillCooper

Old March 30th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Quote:
You need to have the license for "Bestiary 1". If so check mark that source in your "Configure Your Hero" window. Go to the "Race" tab and click to add a new race. One of the new options is "Monster Creator" or something like that (sorry not near HL).

Hi guys - I'm trying to use this functionality with no success. I want to create new monsters from scratch, not apply templates etc to existing creatures. For reference I am using the latest update on the Mac.

What I've tried
- I've enabled Bestiary 1 in the Configure Your Hero window (and Bestiary 2, 3 and Bonus Bestiary).
- I then click OK. There's no 'race tab'. There's a race dropdown box in the background tab - is that what you mean? In the race list there is no 'Monster Creator' option or anything similar.
- If I set the Configure the hero as an NPC/Enemy, I get a 'Customize?' checkbox next to the race, but that only lets me tweak existing monsters.

My thoughts
- I'm probably missing something obvious, but I've spent a couple of hours on this without working out how to do it
- Did this functionality get rolled into the Advanced Race Guide, and made unavailable to users who only have the Bestiary?
- Is this unavailable on the Mac version?
- Has this functionality been removed altogether?
- Why isn't there any reference to this functionality in the manual - either the in-app help or online? I know it's not the core HL function, but why can I only find reference to it in a couple of scattered forum questions?

Any help welcome!
WillCooper is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old March 30th, 2013, 01:44 PM
On the Configure Hero screen, place check marks in each of the Bestiary's you own on the right under Hero settings.

Click OK.

Choose the Background tab on the new "character" you are now creating.

Choose Race field and scroll down to Bestiary Monster Creation.

Enjoy.
AEIOU is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
WillCooper

Old March 30th, 2013, 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
On the Configure Hero screen, place check marks in each of the Bestiary's you own on the right under Hero settings.

Click OK.

Choose the Background tab on the new "character" you are now creating.

Choose Race field and scroll down to Bestiary Monster Creation.

Enjoy.
Thanks for the help AEIOU, but unfortunately it's still not working for me.

I checked against each of the Bestiarys in Configure Your Hero.

I go to Background -> Race

There is no 'Bestiary Monster Creation' option.

The first list starts at Dwarf (no 'B's)
The Featured Races list goes straight from Aasimar to Catfolk (no 'B's)
The Uncommon Races list starts at Drow (no 'B's)
The NPC Races list goes straight from Berbalang to Bhuta (no 'Bes')

I'll try deleting all my .user files see if that helps. Maybe I've somehow masked the option..?
WillCooper is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
WillCooper

Old March 30th, 2013, 03:23 PM
Nope - deleted all user files and 3PP data files; still no joy.

Any other suggestions?
WillCooper is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 30th, 2013, 06:01 PM
Here is what you have to select in the "Configure Your Hero" window press "CTRL-K" to make it open. Then place a check mark next to the "Bestiary":
Image2.jpg

Then on the "Background" tab click on "Race" and "Bestiary Monster Creation" is in its very own section:
Image1.jpg

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #10 Reply With Quote