Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

ruhar

Old August 18th, 2017, 09:17 PM
As RPG companies get on board with Lone Wolf to release modules and rules in Realm Works I was wondering if this is or will start influencing the content of PDFs. Specifically, maps with and without labels. Typically a player version of a map is not included in a module unless there's a reason to have a player handout. With RW we need maps with and without labels so I'm hoping the industry will start including it with at least the PDF version. Maybe have it as a layer that can be turned on and off.
ruhar is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old August 19th, 2017, 02:56 AM
Any thinking company should already be doing so. You need those maps to use things like a VTT.

The only modules I buy with any consistency are PFS ones and they always have a player version of everything included so I assume it is standard for Paizo.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old August 19th, 2017, 03:48 AM
It's already starting to happen. The VTT companies are seeking out the maps for their products.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old August 19th, 2017, 07:16 AM
Good point, I didn't think about the VTT companies.
ruhar is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Spence

Old August 20th, 2017, 01:49 PM
While I don't use VTT or a computer at the table. I always try to have players maps of areas that they would know or find. As soon as e-versions became available, the unmarked player map should have become standard.

I am hoping that RW will be a little more serious in supporting non-hacking games, also know as games that are not PF, D&D etc.
Spence is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old August 20th, 2017, 02:15 PM
Always love RPG snobs.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old August 20th, 2017, 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
I am hoping that RW will be a little more serious in supporting non-hacking games, also know as games that are not PF, D&D etc.
It is a lot easier to support other RPGs, since each RPG only requires a "preferred" set of categories and tags to be defined once.

The community can easily define their preferred structure if the RPG publisher doesn't want to publish on RW.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Jay_NOLA

Old August 21st, 2017, 02:47 PM
I'm thinking you be seeing more that have a layers you can turn on and off in the PDFs to hide labels and stuff. When I was looking at Fantasy grounds tutorials this was pointed out as a feature on a lot of newer PDFs to be aware of when you get your player a gm version to use in FG.
Jay_NOLA is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old August 21st, 2017, 09:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_NOLA View Post
I'm thinking you be seeing more that have a layers you can turn on and off in the PDFs to hide labels and stuff.
I have seen PDFs like that for buildings and terrain tiles you can print and put together. You can change the look by turning on and off different layers.
ruhar is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old August 22nd, 2017, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_NOLA View Post
I'm thinking you be seeing more that have a layers you can turn on and off in the PDFs to hide labels and stuff. When I was looking at Fantasy grounds tutorials this was pointed out as a feature on a lot of newer PDFs to be aware of when you get your player a gm version to use in FG.
0onegames makes this a big part of their marketing. They call the feature "Rule the Dungeon" and many - if not all - of their adventure maps have a button within the PDF that allows you to decide whether or not to show text, doors, secrets, empty space fill, etc. They often even come with different grid and hex sizes to switch between.
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #10 Reply With Quote