Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

kbs666

Old January 14th, 2017, 02:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
You have to import a realm of the same system. Don't forget there is the option to change the game system in the settings of the realm.
Maybe I like my realm the way it is, having spent quite a lot of time customizing it, and am not terribly interested in having it changed top to bottom to fit with someone else's view of what it should look like.

So I'm permanently locked out of PF content or pretty much all shared content?

If a realm can be converted between systems why not do it on import rather than forcing players to change their old realms, the people who have stuck with RW for years through thick and thin, to get the content we've been promised?

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old January 14th, 2017, 02:30 AM
In that scenario I would do the following...

Create a new PF realm. Import the PF content. Change that realm to match the game system used by your realm. Export the content in the new game system format. Import the new export into your realm.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old January 14th, 2017, 02:32 AM
legacy is not a conversion option.

my Realm Works videos
kbs666 is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old January 14th, 2017, 02:40 AM
No legacy has been removed. You want to pick something and move away from Legacy.

Sounds like you want to move to Other or System Neutral.

It's something we all had to do.

It should have the option for a backup. Do that to maintain confidence.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old January 14th, 2017, 02:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agyess View Post
i converted to system neutral and the conversion seemed to work. (a few tags got changed into labeled snippets but nothing tha seemed major). But the import/export mechanic still failed.
^
I'm not interested in trying something that randomly changes tags into other snippets. I use tags a lot and use them to find stuff.

my Realm Works videos
kbs666 is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Agyess

Old January 14th, 2017, 02:53 AM
so, I have another legacy realm (it has all of like 6 topics). I can export that one and it converts to the new system on import. It even imports into the now system neutral version of the realm that can't export.

I also as an experiment tried importing the structure from my main realm (after conversion) to a new realm of the same system and that failed too!
Agyess is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 14th, 2017, 03:20 AM
The following are some important thoughts on various aspects of what's going on and, in some cases, for which there seems to be some confusion...

The "Legacy" game system has been eliminated. It has been replaced with "Other", which is almost exactly the same thing. There are only a few small differences between "Legacy" and "Other". The "Legacy" game system was what everybody had from the beginning, and "Other" is what the standard has now become for anything that isn't a very specific game system structure (i.e. Pathfinder, D&D 5E, or Savage Worlds).

You are NOT required to convert your realm to a specific game system. You can absolutely leave it the way you've got it tailored. That's the whole POINT beyond Realm Works - getting things exactly the way YOU like them. Game system conversion will allow users to fully embrace a formal structure that very closely matches a published game system. There are many users out there that want this. But that's ELECTIVE. The import logic incorporates the game system conversion logic so that content created with game system structure X can be imported into a realm that employs game system structure Y. Unfortunately, it seems there is a glitch in that logic that is plaguing at least a few folks at this point.

When you convert to "System Neutral", that's a completely different animal. The objective behind System Neutral is for someone who wants their material to be guaranteed to import into any other game system structure. As such, converting TO System Neutral will fundamentally throw away information that will often be wanted. The primary thing that gets thrown away is tags that exist for a given game system, but do NOT exist across ALL game systems. So I would always recommend AGAINST converting TO System Neutral, unless your plan on sharing content that is intentionally highly generic to work for ALL game systems.

I need to check with David regarding the situation with Legacy realms. It was my belief that all Legacy realms have been converted to Other now. It sounds like that may not be the case for some realms, which might still be reporting as Legacy. That may be meaningful and the source of a bug that we can readily fix. It may also be just a cosmetic thing where the name is reporting as Legacy still but the realm is actually behaving as Other. I won't know until I can talk to him about this. However, we're definitely going to be working to get things figured out and fixed as quickly as possible.

It definitely sounds like there is something amiss when combining both import AND game system conversion. Importing is complicated. Game system conversion is complicated. Weaving them both together is, well, complicated times complicated - read: ugly. So that's where it appears we'll be focusing our efforts this weekend.

For those of you who have run into issues, please send us as much material as possible to help us get to the bottom of what's going wrong. We'll be doing our best to get the issues investigated and solved - as quickly as possible this weekend.

Thanks!!!
rob is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old January 14th, 2017, 03:37 AM
All my old realms are Legacy. I tried converting one I didn't care about to Other. It reported some rather drastic changes.

I have submitted a bug report on the failure to import my legacy realm into an empty PF realm. I can send you the XML file if that will help. Just tell me where you want it.

my Realm Works videos
kbs666 is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 14th, 2017, 03:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
All my old realms are Legacy. I tried converting one I didn't care about to Other. It reported some rather drastic changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
I have submitted a bug report on the failure to import my legacy realm into an empty PF realm. I can send you the XML file if that will help. Just tell me where you want it.
If you can post it on Dropbox or any other resource you choose to use, that would be great. Then include a link to that location in your support ticket. We can pull it down and take a closer look at it.

Thanks, Rob
rob is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 14th, 2017, 04:22 AM
I have been able to reproduce a crash when importing a Legacy realm into an Other game system realm. I've gleaned some details of what's going wrong and relayed them to David. He's the expert on the import logic, so he'll need to take it from here. I expect he'll be up and investigating this in a few hours.
rob is offline   #20 Reply With Quote