Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Farling

Old September 28th, 2015, 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz View Post
A second screen, while nice, is not necessary. We also envisioned GMs with Realm Works on their laptop. They work from their laptop, switch to player view and flip their laptop around to show the players, and then face the laptop back towards them to keep playing.
Indeed, the Player View screen appears as a separate (stacked) icon in the windows task bar, so it is very easy to switch to the player view full-screen window and the normal RW application window. I guess ALT-TAB would also allow you to switch :-)
Farling is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Decrayer

Old October 4th, 2015, 12:32 AM
I just wanted to add, that with the online viewer that is coming soon, it would be even better to get realm works live sync in.

I would really like to beeing able to give the players my android tablet, log them into a player account and enable them to browse the known information, or to use it as a players view screen that I can command from my laptop.
Decrayer is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Troedel

Old December 15th, 2015, 04:59 AM
I´ve got to say that player view doesn´t work for me. The tool I envision is a live or pushed sync so that revealed information is visible to players on short notice. Turning or passing around laptops is cumbersome and a second monitor shows only what the GM wants to show. For figuring out clues the information has to be interactively available to the players. It´s the one reason I still rely on physical handouts. Web access would be a huge step.
Troedel is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Pollution

Old December 15th, 2015, 05:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
The thing is the player view requires a second screen or some such which not all of us have. Being able to push updates would be helpful in an environment where everyone plays with some screen in front of them, all of my players use HL already.
I know not everyone has a ton of cash lying around, but a small TV or monitor works great for a second screen at the table, and can cost as little as $100. I HIGHLY recommend getting one for your group, as it adds a TON of cool functionality.

That being said, it would be nice for tablets to have live reveal off the web interface for store or convention events.
Pollution is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old December 15th, 2015, 11:37 AM
I don't know what the technical issue involved with live sync are, but I'm guessing it is a big enough hurdle that this is something that won't be available for a while as LWD works through their development timeline. It just doesn't have very high priority based upon past user polls. I guessing (and it is only a guess) that Web access won't make a huge difference for those that want live sync. You still need to exit your realm and sync. Then the players need to refresh their web page. Not a heck of a lot different than the player view.

What the Web version MAY help with is printing. But given their IP-protection concerns, I don't image that they'll bend over backward making the printing from the web that convenient.

Personally, even if live-sync was available and worked flawlessly and automatically with little lag, I still doubt it would make any positive difference to my table, if any difference it would be negative. I don't wan't people all staring down at their own devices. It is a much better experience to have a second monitor to review maps and images. I don't really understand the point of sharing text in the player view, seems like it would just slow down the game, but other DMs can enlighten me.

Why do players need to see newly revealed content during play? You JUST TOLD them. I can see looking something up from several sessions ago, that's where RW really shows some value. But even then, at the table, I'd rather they just ask me, rather then fiddle around with the database on their laptop at the table.

Also, I don't consistently reveal on the fly. After the session, I'll go over the topics and articles and decide what to reveal or sometimes I need to edit or break snippets. I don't want to worry about this while running a game.

This is just my preference and opinion. I certainly support the idea of automatic live sync, but I wouldn't hold my breath for it.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Greebo

Old December 16th, 2015, 05:14 AM
Since we do play via VoIP mostly and use VTT only for combat sequences, live sync would be very helpfull.
Greebo is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old December 16th, 2015, 07:14 AM
I agree with MNBlockHead.

We all play differently, so live sync could be useful for some; just not important for me.

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old December 16th, 2015, 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greebo View Post
Since we do play via VoIP mostly and use VTT only for combat sequences, live sync would be very helpfull.
Or integration with the VTT to provide the information in the way that the VTT uses and presents it?
Farling is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old December 16th, 2015, 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
Or integration with the VTT to provide the information in the way that the VTT uses and presents it?
What does that even mean?

Do you mean integrating the map reveal with the VTT map? That would be a nightmare to code.
kbs666 is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old December 16th, 2015, 11:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
What does that even mean?

Do you mean integrating the map reveal with the VTT map? That would be a nightmare to code.
Greebo said that he uses the VTT for combat sequences, so presumably already has the maps inside his VTT.

An integration with a VTT could allow the story elements (snippets) to be pushed to the players from within RW at the appropriate time (for those VTTs which would normally have stories embedded within their campaign details).

I don't know what level of integration is possible currently (e.g. that Syrinscape uses) though.
Farling is offline   #20 Reply With Quote