Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Broley

Old August 13th, 2015, 09:24 PM
Okay, so I got Realm Works recently and have been creating my world (sloppily) for the last couple weeks. Soon I will GM my first game using it.

Help

So my first question, how do my players connect to my Realm? I know they either have to have their own copy of Realm Works or at least the Player Edition. But I don't know how, and I couldn't really find it in the Tutorial Vids. So how do users of Realm Works or Player edition connect to my Realm?

Also, once connected I believe, but oh yeah I can easily be wrong, that changes I make, such as revealing a topic will then upload to the cloud and automatically download to them revealing whatever I just revealed. Is that how it works?

If I add something new, do I have to sync? How do I sync without closing the program?

Can my players get changes as I make them, or is it more static than that? Do they see what I last synced and that's it, no changes can be made on the fly? Or do changes go up and then down to the players?

I know, these probably are stupid questions, but I just can't see the answers without help.

Thanks

Last edited by Broley; August 13th, 2015 at 09:25 PM. Reason: grammar
Broley is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Shadowy_one

Old August 13th, 2015, 09:44 PM
Hi Broley,

first off, no questions are stupid. There is no shame in not knowing something, just in not trying to learn.

As far as your questions go:

To get your Realm to your Players you have to sync to the cloud and they have to sync it from there to their Player Edition. To be able to do this you have to invite them to your Realm (Messages Section - Create Invitation at the top left Hand side).

So, yes, to get something new to your Players you have to sync and so do they. (This also should answer the question, that the data is static and does not Change on the fly.)

To sync you always have to leave your Realm, there is no other way (at this time)...

I hope this helps you some.

Regards,

Shadowy1
Shadowy_one is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Agyess

Old August 13th, 2015, 09:47 PM
You need to invite them to your realm. either inside your realm manage>realm>invitation or from the message center on the login screen. You'll need their RW username or email that the account is under.

You have to sync your realm... then they need to sync their realm to see any changes... Its not done automatically at all.

currently no way to sync without closing realm.
Agyess is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old August 13th, 2015, 09:56 PM
At the table, the intent is that you use a second monitor and the Player View feature to show them things in real time. The Player accounts are meant for viewing offline or referencing things from previous sessions, not real time updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broley View Post
So my first question, how do my players connect to my Realm?
To invite players, they need to install Realm Works and/or create a new Windows User on a machine that has Realm Works installed. Then they need to create an account with either a Player or GM license. Then you can use the Messages tab in the Realm Works Launcher to invite them to your Realm, using either their Realm Works account name or the email address they used when creating the account.

Quote:
Also, once connected I believe, but oh yeah I can easily be wrong, that changes I make, such as revealing a topic will then upload to the cloud and automatically download to them revealing whatever I just revealed. Is that how it works?
Nope. All changes have to be manually synced by the GM and then synced by the Player(s) before the Player(s) will see them.

Quote:
If I add something new, do I have to sync? How do I sync without closing the program?
You can't sync without closing the Realm. (Click the Realm Works icon and pick Switch Realms.)

Quote:
Can my players get changes as I make them, or is it more static than that? Do they see what I last synced and that's it, no changes can be made on the fly? Or do changes go up and then down to the players?
It's more static than that. They see what you last synced.

In the future the web client may be helpful here (the GM would only need to sync up; the players should pick it up on refresh) but that's in the future.

Hope this helps.

Parody is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Broley

Old August 13th, 2015, 10:24 PM
Thank you all, that helped tremendously.

Wish me luck! (famous last words)
Broley is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old August 13th, 2015, 11:44 PM
Good luck!

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old August 14th, 2015, 05:58 AM
Welcome to the realm works family!

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #7 Reply With Quote