Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Thank Dog

Old November 20th, 2013, 02:40 PM
This is a copy of what I sent in an email to Lone Wolf. Figured I'd post it here to see if I could get answers from others as well.

I would like to go ahead and purchase several licenses but before I do, I would like to confirm some things and perhaps get clarification on the process. I've read through it all but find several aspects a little bit confusing, especially in how to implement multiple license purchases.

To explain, it is my understanding that I can purchase Hero Lab for $29.99, the Pathfinder Classic Pack for $29.99, and two additional licenses for $10 each. This would be a total of four licenses and would enable the use of Hero Lab and the materials from the Classic Pack to be used on four separate computers. This is something I need to confirm first of all.

The second part is my confusion over how to do this as there seems to be a point where it can be easily messed up. I'm a bit nervous about doing it and then finding out I've stuffed up the process and can no longer do it as intended. Is there a way to get clarification on how one adds licenses to initial purchases and activates them on four different computers?

I'm also assuming that it's legal to have each license owned by four separate individuals. The idea being that our group wishes to split the costs. Is that OK?
Thank Dog is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 20th, 2013, 02:51 PM
Here's the Licensing page on our website: http://wolflair.com/index.php?contex...page=licensing

"Running Hero Lab on Multiple Computers" is the section you'll want to read.

It is a violation of Hero Lab's license agreement to share your license with others.
Mathias is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
liz
Ex-Staff
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 20th, 2013, 04:21 PM
To add-on to Mathia's post, if you wanted to purchase Hero Lab to have access to the Pathfinder Game system you would pay:

$29.99 for Hero Lab + one game system of your choice (Pathfinder)
+$X.XX for additional data packages
+$10 for each additional secondary license, which allows your to put Hero Lab on other computers you own, but not another person's computer

If you wanted to use Hero Lab for another game system down the line, such as Shadowrun, Savage Worlds, or another system we support, it would be an additional $20.00 for the base game system.

But as Mathias said, it is against our licensing agreement for multiple individuals to share a Hero Lab account, even if they're using separate secondary license codes.
liz is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Thank Dog

Old November 21st, 2013, 03:29 AM
Ah, bummer. That pretty much means we can't get it at all. Nobody wants to go against the license but at the same time, none of us are in a position to pay $60 each for it. Oh well, no sale
Thank Dog is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
chiefweasel

Old November 21st, 2013, 03:41 AM
Not sure where you got $60.00 from. You get a free game system when you first start up HL. But its $20.00 for each other additional game system.

For instance, I have D20 (free) as my main game system, but I have also purchased Shadowrun ($20.00) and Pathfinder ($20.00)

I also have 3 licenses I use for my different machines. The first 2 licenses come with the product, But I purchased a third license for $10.00.

Web site - Cheese Weasel Logistics - www.cheeseweasel.net
Twitter - @CheeseWeaselGMZ
For user created content check out www.d20pfsrd.com and www.cheeseweasel.net
For video demos of Hero Lab go to http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChiefweasel?blend=9&ob=5
chiefweasel is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Thank Dog

Old November 21st, 2013, 03:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefweasel View Post
Not sure where you got $60.00 from. You get a free game system when you first start up HL. But its $20.00 for each other additional game system.
When you say "free game system" does that include everything for Pathfinder?

I was under the impression that it's just the very basics. Hence we'd want to get the Classic Pack in order to get the entirety of the Pathfinder system.
Thank Dog is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
bodrin

Old November 21st, 2013, 03:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thank Dog View Post
When you say "free game system" does that include everything for Pathfinder?

I was under the impression that it's just the very basics. Hence we'd want to get the Classic Pack in order to get the entirety of the Pathfinder system.
You get the core rule book data plus access to adventure path PLAYER data only anything else Bestiaries, APG, UC, UM etc. Are paid for additions.

Dormio Forte Somnio

Community Created Resources :
Data Package Repositories :
d20pfsrd
Custom Character Sheets
Community Server Setup (Packs)

Hero Lab Help- Video Tutorials and Pathfinder FAQ

Created by the community for the community
bodrin is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Dervish

Old November 21st, 2013, 05:41 AM
Thank Dog in this case the best way to save money would be buy one copy activate the secondary license put that on a separate computer and allow your players to remotely access their character information before and after each session. Depending on group size this may or may not be a viable solution.
Dervish is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Thank Dog

Old November 21st, 2013, 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dervish View Post
Thank Dog in this case the best way to save money would be buy one copy activate the secondary license put that on a separate computer and allow your players to remotely access their character information before and after each session. Depending on group size this may or may not be a viable solution.
I can't afford to pay it myself. The only way I could was to split the cost.
Thank Dog is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old November 21st, 2013, 08:34 AM
Well, I'd like to thank you for being an honorable sort and not violating the agreement even though it means forstalling the purchase. I've been there man, having to weigh every penny in a tight month.

Who knows, perhaps in the future you'll have a little money to spare. Or, with the holidays coming up it might be worth dropping hints to friends and family about HL as a possible gift.

Anyway, thanks again!
Aaron is offline   #10 Reply With Quote