Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Kizan

Old July 30th, 2012, 06:11 AM
I have Hero Lab and all four legal installations for it. I'm having a problem keeping my custom data files synced across all machines. I was thinking about hard-linking the Pathfinder data folder to my Dropbox account. That way all the machines would "see" the same Pathfinder data folder.

Is there an option for a user configurable path for custom data sources? I don't really *like* doing four separate updates when updates come along but I can live with that. but it's a pain to sync my custom data sources after I've been editing them.

Thanks,

Kizan

Me: How bad could it be?
Him: What's the worst that could happen?
Kizan is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Kizan

Old July 30th, 2012, 06:18 AM
Thinking about it a bit more. Maybe just a subfolder off of the main Pathfinder folder would be great too. Then I could hard-link just that (if it wasn't a configurable option) to my Dropbox account for sync across machines. Heck that way multiple players could sync if they wanted.

Kizan

Kizan is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old July 30th, 2012, 02:13 PM
This post maybe helpful for you.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Kizan

Old July 30th, 2012, 06:14 PM
Thanks Shadow,

I was thinking about doing just that, but it seems like such a hack. Really pumps up the used space on my Dropbox account. I'm a little concerned about what it will make for updates to the app. Not just the Pathfinder stuff, but other updates like character sheets and other stuff.

Do you know if it will break anything? Should I just run the updates on all four machines every time just to make sure?

Thanks,

Kizan

Kizan is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 30th, 2012, 09:55 PM
Unfortunately there's no way to specify an alternate directory (like a dropbox folder) for holding .user files. It's something that's been on our long-term todo list, but we haven't found room for it in our schedule yet.

In the thread ShadowChemosh linked, the symbolic link thing is your best bet - it should be pretty easy on OS X, and not that bad on windows. If you have a lot of files, you could even make a batch file / shell script to set everything up, so you could just run it on each machine every time you needed to add an additional file or something.

Hope this helps...
Colen is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Kizan

Old July 31st, 2012, 06:49 AM
Dear Colen,

Are there any "gotchas" that I should know about using it. Esp when it comes to licensing or updates. If I only link the data folder I should avoid the licensing issues, yes?

Thanks,

Kizan

Kizan is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old July 31st, 2012, 09:39 AM
Is this for all computers you own on your own network? If so I use a piece of software called "Folderclone" that is able to totally duplicate a folder or folders from one computer to another on the same network.

So for example on my "Gaming" computer in my basement has a link to clone a HL folder and a bunch of my other gaming stuff that can't work across a network.

So just before the game I click "Clone" and it only takes about a minute to transfer just the changed files down to my gaming computer.

Just putting it out their as another option for you.

For my players to keep in sync I release data sets through the Powered By Hero Lab. Works nice as it notifies them when they start HL then and it auto installs itself also.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 31st, 2012, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizan View Post
Dear Colen,

Are there any "gotchas" that I should know about using it. Esp when it comes to licensing or updates. If I only link the data folder I should avoid the licensing issues, yes?

Thanks,

Kizan
If you share the whole "data" folder, you won't run into any issues with licensing, but you might run into problems running the product on two computers simultaneously (i.e. two copies of Hero Lab open at the same time); the data folder is used to store temporary files which can be different on each computer. I haven't tried it myself, but if you started running into crashes or weird problems, that'd be my prime suspect. No reason not to give it a try, though.
Colen is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 31st, 2012, 11:31 AM
To follow up on Colen's post, you'll only run into problems if you are running two different computers against the *exact same* files in the *exact same* folder. This would occur if you used a shared network drive for all instances of Hero Lab at the same time. However, if you are using Dropbox, you'll be copying all files locally onto each computer, in which case there will be zero issues using the technique.

Hope this helps...
rob is offline   #9 Reply With Quote