Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Army Builder Forums > Army Builder
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

bnrweimann

Old December 27th, 2010, 03:25 PM
I also registered just to add my thanks to LoneWolf for working on this. I'm running Parallels Desktop on my Mac, and the only thing I'm using it for now is running Army Builder. Transitioned all other programs to Mac versions, and oddly enough I'm not much of a computer gamer.

Also just acquired an I-Pad and love it! Spent about two weeks tearing all of my print rule/army books apart and running them through my scanner to save as PDFs. Don't get me started on my wife asking exactly how much all those books cost...

I'm currently using an I-pad app called PDF Reader Pro. It has a global bookmark system that allows it to open the correct file and page for rules references, etc. Takes awhile to set up the bookmarks, but well worth it to look up specific game/army rules quickly while playing.
bnrweimann is offline   #61 Reply With Quote
Mr_Rose

Old December 27th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caradryan View Post
I used pc and windows last 15 years. I'm going to buy a new mac due to lot of things. I think everything is moving to mac systems. My advice is you have to consider seriously the developing of mac version and app version (the tech market of the next 5-10 years) of AB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilvagor View Post
While I think it would be awesome to have AB on my iPad or Mac I doubt highly that everythign is going to be moving to mac systems. Until you can get a mac for under $400 mac will never take over or come close to taking over the pc market. Mac's are handy I will give them that but I still prefer my PC over my Mac.
Let's not get into any religious debates here guys, OK?

Click here to get 2.25GB of DropBox cloud storage free!

I've always wondered about the first person that saw a lobster and said, "You know what? I'm going to eat that."
Mr_Rose is offline   #62 Reply With Quote
Caradryan

Old December 28th, 2010, 01:51 AM
I think it will most depend on next generation of.. buyers. Mac things are cooler and more fascinating over pc's.
Caradryan is offline   #63 Reply With Quote
McTaff

Old December 29th, 2010, 02:49 PM
I'd like to add my voice, but I have a different tack:

I'd like to use my PC to create my AB rosters, and then transfer them into an app that can not only make adjustments, but act as a fully-functional army list with a reference back end.

For instance, someone says "Ok, close combat here, on your orcs/black knights/ironguts/whatever."

I simply select the unit, and a full screen unit breakdown appears, complete with all magical effects (which I apply on the fly as they happen), magic items, heroes, anything I need to remember about the unit, instead of a horrible dry stat line based readout. I hit "back", and it takes me back to my roster, after applying casualties, and the whole combat can be tracked on the iPad.

When I am done, I would at least be able to review the battle (especially if I was able to input who they were fighting) and go through the whole battle turn-by-turn and see where my troops performed well/badly. (Even better if the other person can also do the same thing and have AB itself reconcile BOTH histories on the PC once the data is re-uploaded or whatever - dunno if it's possible, but it'd be epic)

I see it more as an extension, rather than a replacement, for Army Builder. I much prefer using a full-blown PC for the initial roster, but want something I can easily take with me to the game for fine adjustments and then having the whole battle recorded.

- McTaff
McTaff is offline   #64 Reply With Quote
fasteddiexx1

Old January 13th, 2011, 08:32 AM
I would have to agree with everyone here. I've been scouring the App store to no end for a decent Army Builder like app to build my gaming armies and none can compare. You guys have the market on this one. I would pay the same amount for an iPad version or even as I own the PC version I would pay for an additional license for my ipad to run it. Either way I would buy in...
fasteddiexx1 is offline   #65 Reply With Quote
Caradryan

Old January 16th, 2011, 02:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiexx1 View Post
I would have to agree with everyone here. I've been scouring the App store to no end for a decent Army Builder like app to build my gaming armies and none can compare. You guys have the market on this one. I would pay the same amount for an iPad version or even as I own the PC version I would pay for an additional license for my ipad to run it. Either way I would buy in...
Definetely. On respect of customers with prices and supports.
Caradryan is offline   #66 Reply With Quote
amrogers3

Old January 17th, 2011, 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnrweimann View Post
I also registered just to add my thanks to LoneWolf for working on this. I'm running Parallels Desktop on my Mac, and the only thing I'm using it for now is running Army Builder. Transitioned all other programs to Mac versions, and oddly enough I'm not much of a computer gamer.

Also just acquired an I-Pad and love it! Spent about two weeks tearing all of my print rule/army books apart and running them through my scanner to save as PDFs. Don't get me started on my wife asking exactly how much all those books cost...

I'm currently using an I-pad app called PDF Reader Pro. It has a global bookmark system that allows it to open the correct file and page for rules references, etc. Takes awhile to set up the bookmarks, but well worth it to look up specific game/army rules quickly while playing.
That is awesome, what did you use to scan those pages in? I bet it took several weeks depending on how you did it.
amrogers3 is offline   #67 Reply With Quote
sdsheppa

Old January 17th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Another great PDF program for both the iPhone and iPad is called Good Reader.

I am on the verge of scanning all my books as well. First on the list will probably be dystopian cause I already have it spiral bound. Great excuse to get that done btw.
sdsheppa is offline   #68 Reply With Quote
bnrweimann

Old January 18th, 2011, 06:34 AM
It did take about 4 weeks. My scanner isn't capable of dual-siding, so had to piece the documents together in Word before saving them off as a full PDF. I understand the game companies concerns on IP w/ electronic formats, but it'd be incredible if they sold their rules and supplements in electronic formats. I'd be pretty much guaranteed to buy every Army Book, Codex, etc instead of just the 2-3 I plan on building armies for.
bnrweimann is offline   #69 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old January 18th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnrweimann View Post
It did take about 4 weeks. My scanner isn't capable of dual-siding, so had to piece the documents together in Word before saving them off as a full PDF. I understand the game companies concerns on IP w/ electronic formats, but it'd be incredible if they sold their rules and supplements in electronic formats. I'd be pretty much guaranteed to buy every Army Book, Codex, etc instead of just the 2-3 I plan on building armies for.
Sadly, it's one of those cases where the results just don't bear out. The audience for RPG supplements also happens to sharply intersect with the "poor student" segment of the population, and there's almost a culture of photocopied pages, shared books, and now downloaded PDFs. One hopes that, like Baen, the increased audience makes up for the amount of books that are simply acquired, but my understanding is that the outlook is grim, one of the reasons WotC stopped doing PDF for their books.
Duggan is offline   #70 Reply With Quote