Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

Silveras

Old February 6th, 2017, 10:08 AM
In the past, people have requested the ability to create multiple sets of default settings. The response has been to make a copy of the game system, in which each copy can have a different set of defaults configured.

This poses a problem with Realm Works integration, as launching the portfolio for editing assumes the "standard" game system version.

For example, I use multiple copies of the Pathfinder game system to manage the Lost Lands (where the Razor Coast appears), Forgotten Realms, and my homebrew world. Both user file and configurations are different in each case.

(Although my example is Pathfinder, it would apply to any game system.)

Launching a portfolio for editing from the OS or from Realm Works bypasses the "Choose Game System" screen, resulting in a default one being opened. Creatures with dependencies on content (such as user files) only in the variant game system show errors, and the dependent information is missing.

It was something of a hassle before, but could be worked around by not opening the portfolios directly from the OS, and instead opening them after launching HeroLab and selecting the correct game system. This is not possible with Realm Works.

This would seem to make the use of copied "variant" game systems invalid with Realm Works. It seems like revisiting the effects of *Replace Thing ID and *Preclude (where supported), and the solution of copied game systems to manage customized variants, is in order. Alternatively, showing the "Choose Game System" screen on ALL launches of HeroLab might be necessary.

Last edited by Silveras; February 6th, 2017 at 10:12 AM.
Silveras is offline   #1 Reply With Quote