Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

chiefweasel

Old November 21st, 2013, 11:35 AM
Ya total cost for all Pathfinder addons is well over $100, prolly closer to $150 or $175 by now. For those of us who were able to get the add ons as they came out, it was just a few bucks each month, but having to buy them all now is a pain.

Web site - Cheese Weasel Logistics - www.cheeseweasel.net
Twitter - @CheeseWeaselGMZ
For user created content check out www.d20pfsrd.com and www.cheeseweasel.net
For video demos of Hero Lab go to http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChiefweasel?blend=9&ob=5
chiefweasel is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old November 21st, 2013, 03:05 PM
Yeah, this. Buying Hero Lab and just the packages covered in the PRD (minus the Bestiaries) runs just short of $100, and that's without buying any of the actual books.

Edited to add: Apropos of nothing except that Pathfinder is an expensive hobby. The other games I've played/run with Hero Lab have all run $40 or less for everything, including the core rules.

Currently Running: Pathfinder Second Edition
Currently Playing:
Pathfinder First Edition, Star Trek Adventures
Former HL Games: D&D 4e & 5e, Mutants & Masterminds 2E & 3E, Savage Worlds

Last edited by charlieluce; November 21st, 2013 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Clarification
charlieluce is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
freeAgent

Old November 21st, 2013, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefweasel View Post
Ya total cost for all Pathfinder addons is well over $100, prolly closer to $150 or $175 by now. For those of us who were able to get the add ons as they came out, it was just a few bucks each month, but having to buy them all now is a pain.
Yup, it is pricey. If you're an all-or-nothing kind of person and can't afford HL with any given month's leftover cash, it's never a bad time to put together a budget and start saving toward goals. Hero Lab is well worth the cost. You can tell it's a professionally-developed and managed product. All that hard work shows, but it does mean that one has to pay for it just like most other software of a similar caliber.
freeAgent is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Thank Dog

Old November 21st, 2013, 05:45 PM
Part of why I assumed we could split license costs was because DDI did a similar thing with the intent being that groups could buy in. $20 each versus $60 each is a big difference, especially when all the material is online already and PCGen can do much the same thing as Hero Lab. Now none of us will be buying it at all.

I mainly wanted it so that I could use it on my iPad
Thank Dog is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Dervish

Old November 22nd, 2013, 12:26 AM
Since you are saying 60 dollars i am assuming you were thinking buying the original license and the beastiaries or two full licenses is that the case ?
Dervish is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Thank Dog

Old November 22nd, 2013, 03:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dervish View Post
Since you are saying 60 dollars i am assuming you were thinking buying the original license and the beastiaries or two full licenses is that the case ?
I just did a proper read-through of what you get in the Classic Bundle and realised that it's not even half of the material for creating characters. We would need another $40 just to create characters for our games without limitations.

That would put the total required purchase into the hundreds of dollars just for one person.

Yeah, think I'll stick with PCgen. For what amounts to a glorified front-end for a database, those prices are insane.
Thank Dog is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Dervish

Old November 22nd, 2013, 08:16 AM
To each there own good luck with your campaigns Thank dog
Dervish is offline   #17 Reply With Quote