Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

zarlor

Old August 3rd, 2017, 05:18 AM
Bootstrap wouldn't work because "Vigor" already exists, there is nothing for the program to bootstrap (or ADD, if you will), the best it could hope to do would be to overwrite and it's not built to do that for plenty of good reasons. So you need to use an eval script like you did to modify the value instead. I figured that would work as you suggested but I guess my concern would be how it would affect things if Vigor were already d6 or higher. With the script you have above it's fairly clear that it will just add a die type to whatever the current value is (or remove that if the archetype is changed) but that also means it does not properly address if that archetype is only supposed to boost Vigor to d6 but no higher.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #31 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old August 3rd, 2017, 08:33 AM
No, I don't think you don't should bootstrap the attribute like that.

Also, don't do a foreach there. Foreach is very costly, performance-wise.

Try these (with Attributes it a bit different than Skills):

Code:
#traitinplay[attrStr] += 2
#traitbonus[attrStr] += 2

_
Currently In Development: Savage Pathfinder, SWADE Fantasy Companion
Future Development: SWADE Super Powers Companion, SWADE Sci-Fi Companion
_
Currently Running: Savage Unity Inc. (homebrew multiverse theme)
Setting Files Supported: Deadlands: Reloaded, Flash Gordon, Gaslight, Hellfrost, Interface Zero 2.0, Seven Worlds, Slipstream, Solomon Kane
Future Setting Files: Savage Judge Dredd
CapedCrusader is offline   #32 Reply With Quote
Topdecker

Old August 3rd, 2017, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the explanation and examples, guys.

I have been in contact with the author. While the setting book doesn't explicitly state it, the author confirmed that it was his intention that taking all archetypes (except, of course, one of them), would result in no bonus for being human.

My problem is that I don't even know what the bonus points for buying edges and the like are named. I will probably add the code to deduct the point at the same place I was augmenting vigor, but at least I had a word (vigor) to search for and knew that it was an attr class element when looking for the controlling unique ID. For these points, I am completely in the dark about how to refer to them inside HL.

Removing the free edge for being human is that task. I suspect that it is tied up in a RACE (Human) and perhaps my best option is to create a doppelganger race without the perk that gets bootstrapped. (Not at home now and just musing.)

Topdecker is offline   #33 Reply With Quote
Topdecker

Old August 3rd, 2017, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapedCrusader View Post
Good call, I was thinking that as well.
I noticed that edges had a flag for use only during character creation and thought it odd that hindrances did not have a similar flag. That's the only thing I've noted thus far that I thought should have a mirrored feature.
Topdecker is offline   #34 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader

Old August 3rd, 2017, 12:14 PM
Look at the Racial Ability "Bonus Edge" (abFreeEdge). It's what adds that free Edge. It does it like this:

Code:
      hero.child[resEdge].field[resMax].value += 1
To subtract:

Code:
      hero.child[resEdge].field[resMax].value -= 1

_
_
Setting Files Supported: Deadlands: Reloaded, Flash Gordon, Gaslight, Hellfrost, Interface Zero 2.0, Seven Worlds, Slipstream, Solomon Kane
CapedCrusader is offline   #35 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader

Old August 3rd, 2017, 12:20 PM
That being said, if you need Humans to not have that free Edge, your supposition is correct. The best way to handle that is to create a new Race record for Humans for your Setting and preclude the racHuman version.

_
_
CapedCrusader is offline   #36 Reply With Quote
Topdecker

Old August 3rd, 2017, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapedCrusader View Post
That being said, if you need Humans to not have that free Edge, your supposition is correct. The best way to handle that is to create a new Race record for Humans for your Setting and preclude the racHuman version.
Thanks, Caped! It seems easier to just add a point once than to subtract it 14 times (15 archetypes, one of which is just a normal character called a Citizen).

It will also encourage character builders to fully engage the archetype system - which is important to this setting.
Topdecker is offline   #37 Reply With Quote
Topdecker

Old August 3rd, 2017, 06:09 PM
Man, you'd think that I would get a little wind in my sails and not crash into another problem, but no such luck.

I have run afoul of an archetype that has an edge that gives it two knowledge skills. Each at a d6. I need to 1) assign the two knowledge skills, 2) get them to a d6, and finally, 3) replace 4 points in the skill buying fund pool.

I have already figured out that I don't need to make the edge do the work; I can just assign a pair of knowledge skills from the archetype group pick list. However, that might not be efficient if I want to go up to a d6. I dunno.

I am starting to think that I should scout a head to see what sort of devilish torment is in store next for me... The only upcoming obstacle is one where the player can make a A/B choice between SHOOTING or FIGHTING. Shame we cannot present a menu
Topdecker is offline   #38 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old August 3rd, 2017, 06:46 PM
I'm guessing you haven't really looked at the Common Code Examples tread yet. Your answer is the very first code snipped listed. (EDIT: errr... 2nd code snippet, since this is for Knowledge skills).

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)

Last edited by zarlor; August 4th, 2017 at 03:32 AM.
zarlor is offline   #39 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader

Old August 3rd, 2017, 06:56 PM
OK, here's a workable solution for the Knowledge Skill bit. I solved this in Racial Properties. You'll just need to create Racial Properties to add the two knowledge Skills, and then bootstrap the Racial Properties to the Faction. There's a template already in place to do this in Racial Properties. Do a Copy, and and search for Know. You'll see it. There is one catch, though. You'll need to create one of these Racial Properties for each Knowledge Skill. This is because there a place to record which Knowledge Skill it applies to, and it has to be preset for the bonus to work. Since Knowledge Skills are completely open-ended, it's impossible for us to create them before-hand. The issue is that there's otherwise no way to handle two specific Knowledge Skills getting the bonus. That Domain has to be listed somewhere.

This example allows the Domain to be accessible from the Editor interface itself, and not in the eval script. If that matters.

_
_

Last edited by CapedCrusader; August 3rd, 2017 at 06:59 PM.
CapedCrusader is offline   #40 Reply With Quote