Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Authoring Kit

Notices

Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 26th, 2008, 07:37 PM
I'm working on a set of data files (for the Secret of Zir'An game system), and I'm having trouble changing the handling of derived traits from the skeleton files to these files.

The traits in this game (called primary stats) each have minimums and maximums determined by the character's origin (aka birthplace/nationality) - that part I'll get to when I get to the origin component. Then the user gets to spend a pool of points to increase the base values.

The problem is that there are also derived traits - each has a base value derived from the primary stats, and then there's a separate pool of points to use increasing the derived stats.

I can't figure out how to modify the derived stat thing to allow user modification, and I can't figure out how to modify the attribute thing to allow me to calculate a base value.

P.S. Is there a better way than this to get the maximum of 4 things:

var max as number
max = maximum(a,b)
max = maximum(max,c)
max = maximum(max,d)

One of the derived stats = average(Highest Primary Stat, Lowest Primary Stat)
Mathias is online now   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 27th, 2008, 08:23 PM
I figured out how to make the derived traits user-modifiable; in the panel_basics.dat file it defines the look and available selectors for the things that belong on that panel.

My question about a better way to get a maximum still stands.
Mathias is online now   #2 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 20th, 2009, 11:44 PM
Unfortunately, there is no better way to get the maximum of four values. There are times when the scripting language, in the interest of keeping things relatively simple, results in some clunky code being written. This is one of them. :-(
rob is offline   #3 Reply With Quote