Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

blueapples

Old February 1st, 2012, 10:42 AM
I was wondering if the framework used to develop Hero Lab is available for licensing. With the Mac port coming out that framework seems like a viable product in it's own right - provided it uses the same skinning and scripting subsystems as the Windows version.
blueapples is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 1st, 2012, 12:42 PM
Are you asking about the authoring kit: http://wolflair.com/index.php?contex...=authoring_kit - that's used to create game systems for use within Hero Lab.
Mathias is online now   #2 Reply With Quote
blueapples

Old February 1st, 2012, 12:53 PM
Not really - something more like a generic software development framework. Since you guys use what seem to be the same stuff for multiple applications it seems like there is some sort of reusable SDK behind all of it, which would be a cool thing for other software developers to have available - likely for a license fee.
blueapples is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old February 2nd, 2012, 09:29 AM
A a software developer myself, I would imagine this sort of thing would/could seriously be an issue for them to make available. The licensing fee would probably have to be quite large for it to make sense from a business standpoint.
mirtos is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
blueapples

Old February 2nd, 2012, 10:39 AM
I would be surprised if there was any actual cost beyond making a new forum available. Development frameworks are traditionally priced fairly modestly and can do quite well for their owners. The key is leveraging user self-support forums so you don't end up with a lot of support costs, then people know what they're getting into before they buy it. There isn't really much of a downside since you just put in the license agreement that buyers can't make software that would compete with Lone Wolf's own product.

It's pure profit for the company since they already developed it, and they can increase their market appeal by attracting a new group of people.

Good cross platform frameworks are fairly rare - there's real value here.

Anyway, something to think about guys. I'd love to buy a copy if it was reasonably priced.
blueapples is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old February 2nd, 2012, 12:06 PM
The problem is that the software here has a very limited market, and it would likely compete with their software. When the cross platform development has a wide capability of applications, then I agree with you. The cost has to equal what they would be losing.
mirtos is offline   #6 Reply With Quote