Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 10th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Version 1.8 is out, and the main news item is that classes have been added to the editor (along with monster classes - which are a class and a race, and allow you to set the attack/save/attribute values by level - see the old 3.0 Savage Species book for what these are used for). Much of the documentation has also been updated, but it's not finished. The editor tabs page hasn't been touched, and I still intend to write a page about how the pathfinder files differ from the d20 files from an author's point of view.
Mathias is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 10th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Before you try out the classes in the editor yourself, those of you who haven't looked at the editor documentation yet should select the help menu in the editor to look at the manual. That includes tutorials that show you how to create a basic feat, class, spellcasting class, etc.

Once you're done with the tutorials, check out the other links. Personally, I leave a copy of the "Reference Information" page open while I'm adding d20/Pathfinder content, and occasionally look at the "how to" page. Until you're familiar with their names and order, the "Choosing a Phase" page is also useful to keep open while you're working.

If you want very detailed explanations of the scripting language, the HeroLab authoring wiki is at http://hlkitwiki.wolflair.com/index.php5?title=Home. It's structured for those writing new game systems with the authoring kit, but it also includes reference information that may be useful once you get into advanced scripting using the integrated editor.
Mathias is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
griffonwing

Old October 11th, 2009, 10:40 AM
YES! This is what I have been waiting for! Thanks Mathias!
griffonwing is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 11th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Oh, I forgot to give you one warning. When you create a new monster class (regular classes are fine), the wizard will ask you to choose the name, number of levels, etc. for your monster class. When you leave that, it will generate the Monster Class and Class Level items for you. However, there going to be an error during the process. It will first pop up a window informing you it's done, then once you hit OK there, it will pop up a message about "Linkage pick 'helper' not located for current context...". Press OK, go back to the main Hero Lab window, and File...new character (or ctrl-n). Then go to the background tab, add your monster class in the race list, then back to the classes tab and add a level of that monster. Then you can proceed with the process of adding your race.

This will be fixed in Hero Lab v3.5a (I'm not sure when exactly that will be out).
Mathias is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
griffonwing

Old October 11th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Thanks

Question regarding Alternate Classes. I have a monk which took the Unearthed Arcana Monk Path "The Inivisble Eye" (p52 I think). Where can i go to add more Bonus Feat options for the Monk.

I tried opening the Monk class, and editing it, but saw nowhere that I could edit which feats I could get a Lvl 1, 2 and 6. I also tried editing the 2 feats to be included as Monk1 and Monk6 options. The thing is, I'm creating NEW feats instead of altering the existing.

Optimally, it would be great to simply have Invisible Eye, and others, as possible choices when leveling the Monk, but since that is d20, and not Pathfinder, I don't think the update will be forthcoming, which is not a problem.

I figure, if I can simply add these feats (Lightning reflexes at 2 and BlindFight at 6)as bonus feat options, then i could simply choose those as I progress in levels. The alternative would be to custom add those to the character, which would give me an unused lvl2 and lvl6 Monk bonus feat. It wouldn't hurt anything, but it would constantly nag me about an unfinished character.

Is there a way to edit an existing class/feat, or do we have to create a new one only? I need to read up more on this.
griffonwing is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 11th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Go to the feats tab, make a copy of lightning reflexes. While you're in that list, record lightning reflexes' unique ID (fLightRef). Press OK. On the right hand side of the editor panel is a field named "Replaces thing ID" - put the ID you wrote down there, give the feat a new unique ID (like fLightRefA), and go to the "Bonus Feat For" - you'll notice that monks in Pathfinder get their expanded bonus feat lists at 1, 6, and 10, so after your DM has told you how to modify the variant class for Pathfinder, you can choose the appropriate level to put those feats at.
Mathias is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Basilforth

Send a message via Yahoo to Basilforth

Old October 12th, 2009, 10:50 AM
You guys are simply raw awesome or rather, 'rawesome'. Thanks for continuing to pump out the content.
Basilforth is offline   #7 Reply With Quote