Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

Bidmaron

Old November 16th, 2016, 06:45 PM
To improve usability with VTTs, can you include a URI mechanism similar to syrinscape so another application can navigate to a particular topic in RW and, optionally, a snippet within the topic (some topics are so long that the content you want isn't in the displayed portion). Further, a flag option should exist so the desired content is exported to xml so the VTT can itself import that specific data
Bidmaron is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
DaFranker

Old November 16th, 2016, 09:21 PM
This URI mechanism sounds like it would be the most useful for OpenRPG, MapTool or similar/derivative VTTs where hyperlinks can be sprinkled in more places than something like Roll20, but I'd love to see it as well despite my focus on Roll20 these days.

The auto-XML-export flag doesn't seem as attractive to me, and I can imagine it would take some serious extra work. This feature would almost exclusively benefit power-users like us who can script out specific conversion processes to translate the XML data from an assumed, non-guaranteed format into the VTT's data format.

While I'd marginally benefit from this secondary import flag feature personally, it's not something I would want LW to spend any significant extra time on considering I might as well export the whole batch of the items I want to import into my VTT in one shot, and write my script to import them all in one shot into the VTT data, instead of item-by-item.
DaFranker is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old November 16th, 2016, 11:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
... optionally, a snippet within the topic (some topics are so long that the content you want isn't in the displayed portion).
This is the reason why breaking down large topics into smaller child topics is a good idea, so that the aim would be to have an entire topic visible on the screen. (It would also make the URI management simpler :-) )
Farling is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Bidmaron

Old November 17th, 2016, 03:21 AM
If we have the export flag, the snippet specifier would almost not be necessary.

As for the breaking down topics, I will have to respectfully disagree. My most interesting topics may have several screens of history, and it makes no sense to me to create a new topic for such a situation
Bidmaron is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Bidmaron

Old November 17th, 2016, 03:25 AM
Oh, and on the issue at large, my VTT of choice is Fantasy Grounds, and I would be making an extension to where anyone using the extension could bring up a detail window with my RW content within it. RW dies not have scripting and most likely won't for years. Using my hybrid approach, I can essentially program the delivery of content from Fantasy Grounds, which can also share on a per user basis rather than the all or none approach currently the only way in RW.
Bidmaron is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old November 17th, 2016, 08:15 AM
RW should be able to do this. Responding to URI's is pretty common now.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old November 17th, 2016, 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
Oh, and on the issue at large, my VTT of choice is Fantasy Grounds, and I would be making an extension to where anyone using the extension could bring up a detail window with my RW content within it. RW dies not have scripting and most likely won't for years. Using my hybrid approach, I can essentially program the delivery of content from Fantasy Grounds, which can also share on a per user basis rather than the all or none approach currently the only way in RW.
When I was looking at the various VTTs, it did seem that Fantasy Grounds was the least likely to use alongside RW because FG already allows you to store all the text for the adventure/campaign within its own database; so there would be no point in having the adventure in RW as well as FG.

Most other VTTs don't provide for easy storage of the adventure text, so will be better complemented by having RW running alongside.
Farling is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Bidmaron

Old November 17th, 2016, 05:52 PM
Farling, Fantasy Grounds does not have the outstanding features that RW has that helps you link content automatically and to structure your campaign world. It is somewhat laborious to build an equivalent structure in FG: believe me, I have tried.

The issue is that FG is fully programmable, and it would be very easy to import RW content into FG automatically.
Bidmaron is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old November 18th, 2016, 12:04 AM
Another issue with using the XML export functionality is that password-protected parts of the realm (e.g. purchased content) would not be available in the XML output (or presumably any URI-based interface) due to preventing redistribution of that material.
Farling is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Bidmaron

Old November 18th, 2016, 04:19 AM
There is that problem.... but a lot of what I was saying was based on personal material
Bidmaron is offline   #10 Reply With Quote