Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

mirtos

Old January 3rd, 2012, 11:55 AM
Happy new year, and thanks for the great application!

However, i think its a little odd, that closing the windowkills the application, but apple-q doesnt.
mirtos is offline   #41 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 3rd, 2012, 04:39 PM
FYI for anyone who didn't get into the mac beta already, but wants to - assuming nobody runs into any showstopper bugs, we'll likely be letting more people in later this week. Check back on Thursday or so!
Colen is offline   #42 Reply With Quote
UndeadDan

Old January 4th, 2012, 04:17 AM
I have confirmed that restarting the computer does not fix the issue with the Editor not opening. So until we get an editor fix, I can't really test that.

I have also confirmed that removing the new .user file from the data/pathfinder/ directory doesn't fix the problem

Last edited by UndeadDan; January 4th, 2012 at 04:50 AM.
UndeadDan is offline   #43 Reply With Quote
TehBagder

Old January 4th, 2012, 04:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sak0232 View Post
I was fooling around with .user files.
I deleted one of them, and now I can't seem to open the Editor.
Is it looking for the .user file?
Can I get around this somehow?
Which .user file? I created a .user file and tested deleting it and the editor loaded for me, even without the .user file, so that I could open or create a new one. When you tried to load the portfolio, did you get error messages about items being orphaned?
TehBagder is offline   #44 Reply With Quote
UndeadDan

Old January 4th, 2012, 04:54 AM
I am noticing that in the ~/Library/Preferences directory that there are duplicate preference files

Some are com.LWDTechnology.Hero Lab.* while others are com.LWDTechnology.Hero_Lab.*
UndeadDan is offline   #45 Reply With Quote
dhemery

Old January 4th, 2012, 11:47 PM
My System:
  • Mac Pro 3.1 (Early 2008), 2x2.8GHz Quad-Core Zeon, 10GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5870 blah blah blah
  • Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2
  • Pudgy, aging user

New to HL and liking it. I got into the beta a few days ago. I've never used HL before, and I like it. Very handy for character creation and maintenance—especially sorting through myriad feats to discover which ones a character is actually eligible for. I'm eager to try the Tactical Console for a game I'm DMing. We'll see just how much data entry I can tolerate...

Tooltips sometimes block button clicks. Often, when I slide my mouse to "Add", "Add and Close", or "Cancel", the tooltip that pops up covers the button, and blocks my clicks. As a result, I can't click the button until I dismiss the tooltip. Sometimes, simply moving off the button doesn't dismiss the tooltip. I have to click somewhere outside the button.

Alas, I can't do this on demand, so I haven't yet determined what factors lead to this button-blocking behavior. I suspect it's something about the speed and angle at which my mouse intersects the button. Or maybe I overshoot the button and have to backtrack (damn you, Fitts's Law!). Dunno.

List shrinks to fit, but won't grow to fit. When I'm viewing a list of items in which some items are valid and some or not, I can choose whether to show everything or only the valid items. When I show only valid items, if there are only a few valid items, the list display shrinks. When I then select "everything", the list display does not re-expand. Instead, it shows only as many items as were viewable in the "only valid" display. This is especially fun when I try to re-expand a list that has only one valid item. The display continues to show a one-item window into a huge list.

I've attached a screenshot of the result. To get to this state, I switched to "only valid items," which shrunk the display to show only one item. When I switched back to "everything," it still showed only one item, though there are 83 in the list.

Puzzling warning: Hawk both allowed and not allowed. I have a character with one level of Ranger (Falconer) and one level of Druid (Eagle Domain). When I add an arcane familiar for the Druid's Eagle Domain, I see this puzzling warning in red: "This companion type is not allowed for Eagle Domain and Falconer and Rangers. Allowed for: Eagle Domain."

This warning is also shown in the attached image (note that though Faerie Dragon is displayed, Hawk is actually the currently selected item).

Portfolio load errors. Every time I load a portfolio I created, HL displays a dozen or more "usage pool" errors. These are newly created portfolios, created with HL Mac 3.9.

Also, the error listing refers to a log file, and gives a path to the log file. I wanted to view the log file, and I don't want to try to type in the path (which includes a typo-inducing 30-character hash or something). But I can't copy the path from the error message, because the text of the error message is not selectable.

Inadvertent button selection. During one session, hovering over the "DEX up" button automatically selected it, which caused DEX to increase automatically until I moved the mouse off the button. During that session, any time I hovered over that character's DEX up button, it would automatically be selected. It didn't happen for any other ability button, or for other characters' DEX up buttons.

I have not been able to reproduce this in subsequent sessions.

Enhancement requests
  1. In the print dialog, allow multiple selections for "print what?". For example, let me print the character and spell summaries at the same time.
  2. When a dialog opens that has a search box, automatically select the search field. Or at least allow tabbing to the search field.
  3. Allow resizing the summary display columns.
Attached Images
File Type: png HL Only valid.png (310.0 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by dhemery; January 5th, 2012 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Add image
dhemery is offline   #46 Reply With Quote
MisterDrow

Old January 5th, 2012, 12:54 PM
I'd be interested in testing the Beta... would be nice to not have to run my copy in Crossover or a VM.
MisterDrow is offline   #47 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 5th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sak0232 View Post
I was fooling around with .user files.
I deleted one of them, and now I can't seem to open the Editor.
Is it looking for the .user file?
Can I get around this somehow?
Can you describe what you mean by "can't open the editor"? Do you get an error message? What happens when you select the "Launch Editor" menu item?

Does the problem still happen if you quit and restart Hero Lab?

Try loading another game system - can you open the editor in that game?
Colen is offline   #48 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 5th, 2012, 02:06 PM
We'll be opening up new beta slots tomorrow - I'm going to try and get a v3.9a release out first, then let some more people in.
Colen is offline   #49 Reply With Quote
UndeadDan

Old January 5th, 2012, 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colen View Post
Can you describe what you mean by "can't open the editor"? Do you get an error message? What happens when you select the "Launch Editor" menu item?

Does the problem still happen if you quit and restart Hero Lab?

Try loading another game system - can you open the editor in that game?
I know for me that the problem presents itself as follows:
- Go to the menu to open the editor
- select the editor from the menu
- nothing happens. No error message. nothing.
UndeadDan is offline   #50 Reply With Quote