Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System

Notices

TobyFox2002

Old September 15th, 2014, 05:08 AM
Before my questions, I want everyone to thank GLBVI for adding to the Faerun content thanks to him you'll be having some partial content from two new Faerun Books: Faiths and Pantheons and Champions of Ruin for the next update. Lots of Stuff dealing with the deity of Shar in particular.

Coding Questions:

I am running into several issues with some of the projects I have and I was wondering if anyone might have some thoughts on how I could handle these issues.

The title is a bit vague because there are several related (and unrelated questions).

1) I have a race that overrides the normal +1 attribute point every 3 levels. Instead it grants +3 attribute point every 4 levels. Now I can alter the frequency [tAttrEvol] but it still displays the correct levels on the character tab. Is there a way to fix it so it adds the proper number of skill points but it still displays the incorrect level and gives an error that they have "Too many attribute points per level."

2) The variant rules for a sourcebook I am working on adds a 7th Attribute Score. Appearance (App). I've been told that it is impossible to code. But I believe that I have found a way, but I like the expertise to do this because I would have to change some of the base code. Anyone have some thoughts as to how I might go about this.

I know there are people out there who have done similar.

3) A sourcebook I am working on is adding two new item slots. (Horn) and (Wings x2). [My Little Pony] I know for a fact that is possible because, there is a Rune slot which is most definately not a D20 3.5 item slot. But I cant find how it was done.
TobyFox2002 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old September 15th, 2014, 06:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyFox2002 View Post
Before my questions, I want everyone to thank GLBVI for adding to the Faerun content thanks to him you'll be having some partial content from two new Faerun Books: Faiths and Pantheons and Champions of Ruin for the next update. Lots of Stuff dealing with the deity of Shar in particular.

Coding Questions:

I am running into several issues with some of the projects I have and I was wondering if anyone might have some thoughts on how I could handle these issues.

The title is a bit vague because there are several related (and unrelated questions).

1) I have a race that overrides the normal +1 attribute point every 3 levels. Instead it grants +3 attribute point every 4 levels. Now I can alter the frequency [tAttrEvol] but it still displays the correct levels on the character tab. Is there a way to fix it so it adds the proper number of skill points but it still displays the incorrect level and gives an error that they have "Too many attribute points per level."

2) The variant rules for a sourcebook I am working on adds a 7th Attribute Score. Appearance (App). I've been told that it is impossible to code. But I believe that I have found a way, but I like the expertise to do this because I would have to change some of the base code. Anyone have some thoughts as to how I might go about this.

I know there are people out there who have done similar.

3) A sourcebook I am working on is adding two new item slots. (Horn) and (Wings x2). [My Little Pony] I know for a fact that is possible because, there is a Rune slot which is most definately not a D20 3.5 item slot. But I cant find how it was done.
To my knowledge, all of these would have to be done through the use of the authoring kit. I'd be happy to be corrected by those who know better, but that's my understanding. In regards to the rune, that was added by LW when they added the pathfinder adventure series stuff to the base d20 package (at least, I think that's the case), so actually we can't add more slots to the system, at least not traditionally.

Off the top of my head, you could "add a slot" by selecting "none" in the editor, but then adding a user tag. Something like User.Horn. Then you could create a script on something that is always on the character (such as a condition) that searches for this tag and determines if there are too many. Not ideal, but it might accomplish what you're looking for within the limitation of the editor.
Sendric is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
TobyFox2002

Old September 15th, 2014, 09:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendric View Post
To my knowledge, all of these would have to be done through the use of the authoring kit. I'd be happy to be corrected by those who know better, but that's my understanding. In regards to the rune, that was added by LW when they added the pathfinder adventure series stuff to the base d20 package (at least, I think that's the case), so actually we can't add more slots to the system, at least not traditionally.

Off the top of my head, you could "add a slot" by selecting "none" in the editor, but then adding a user tag. Something like User.Horn. Then you could create a script on something that is always on the character (such as a condition) that searches for this tag and determines if there are too many. Not ideal, but it might accomplish what you're looking for within the limitation of the editor.
Meh. Thanks. hehe
TobyFox2002 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old September 15th, 2014, 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendric View Post
Yep I agree with all this as far as I know. I do want to look at the "Attribute" thing. Something strange makes me wonder if a 7th one could be added maybe......

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
TobyFox2002

Old September 15th, 2014, 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
Yep I agree with all this as far as I know. I do want to look at the "Attribute" thing. Something strange makes me wonder if a 7th one could be added maybe......
I've seen a file that holds all of the information about the attribute scores, it looks like I could just copy and paste and all of the relavant code would be duplicated..

Problem is it is all XML and understand none of it, Not only that but the interface of Hero Labs would need to be redone to SHOW the information and make it editable.

Not to mention the PDF or printout output (Which I've been told is far easier to fiddle with).

If you want to look at the 7th Attribute I'm wanting to add its called Appearance (APP), as found in several sources the one that has the most information on it is the BoEF (Book of Erotic Fantasies).

It is roughly equivilant to Comliness from AD&D. Splitting altering CHA so it only deals with personality and not looks.
TobyFox2002 is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
TobyFox2002

Old September 15th, 2014, 11:46 AM
I just noticed I have two posts with the same questions I dont know how or why that happened. I dont remember double posting.

Sorry about this..
TobyFox2002 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Mauron

Old September 21st, 2014, 01:18 AM
I was playing with the Appearance stat support question, and here's what I got.

Code:
<thing 
	id="aAPP"
	compset="Attribute"
	name="Appearance"
        isunique="yes">
	<fieldval field="aAbbr" value="APP"/>
	<eval phase="First" priority="1" runlimit="1"><![CDATA[ ~ runlimit did not seem to work for me.
	trustme
	~ tGen is not a derived field
	if (herofield[tGen].value = 25) then
	~ for standard point buy, we add the cost of a 13 (5 points)
		herofield[tGen].value = 30 
	~ I tried doing a += 5 here, but it added every time I altered an ability score.
	elseif (herofield[tGen].value = 28) then
	~ sample second case
		herofield[tGen].value = 33
	endif
	]]></eval>
</thing>
Adding the Disguise Skill as per the BoEF is simple - Appearance can be chosen as a linked attribute in the editor. For Bluff, Gather Information, and Intimidate, I don't know of a way to work in an either/or situation in Hero Lab for the linked attribute.

Last edited by Mauron; October 5th, 2014 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Adding required isunique value.
Mauron is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
TobyFox2002

Old September 21st, 2014, 11:53 AM
For Either/or a feat would be required there are a number of feats that change how skills function. Such as Tactile Trapsmith (i think) and also a feat that changes Intim to a STR chk.

This is how I was thinking Appearance could be added but I was afraid to fiddle with the code. I wasn't sure if it would break anything else by messing with the file attribute coding was contained in.

Now I just need to twiddle with the Output file so it displays appearance. Thats a bit more safe I think, but still beyond me, I must read up on it, I also have some other things so I want to tweak about, at least for my games, such as alternative movement speeds. Flying is very big in many of my games even for the players... =p

Thank you for taking a look at this for me.
TobyFox2002 is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Mauron

Old October 5th, 2014, 11:58 AM
When playing around with this some more, it gave me an error when trying to use Appearance as a skill attribute. I fixed that by adding isunique="yes" to the Appearance thing (updated in the code above).
Mauron is offline   #9 Reply With Quote