Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

TobyFox2002

Old December 23rd, 2014, 05:32 PM
When I open it I missing two Vell's Custom Gear and
VBoVD.

I have no idea what VBoVD, but it doesn't sound like the one helped work on. Two options, exist at this point. Send me your Custom Gear file and I'll see if anything in that is causing it or use the link below and use that version of the BoVD.

(Make sure you backup your Book of Vile Darkness if you do that.)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ndb162fbyz...ness.user?dl=0
TobyFox2002 is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Vellcrow

Old December 23rd, 2014, 05:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyFox2002 View Post
When I open it I missing two Vell's Custom Gear and
VBoVD.

I have no idea what VBoVD, but it doesn't sound like the one helped work on. Two options, exist at this point. Send me your Custom Gear file and I'll see if anything in that is causing it or use the link below and use that version of the BoVD.

(Make sure you backup your Book of Vile Darkness if you do that.)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ndb162fbyz...ness.user?dl=0
VBoVD was my original try at creating my own Book of Vile Darkness, this was before the community one was released.

As for the Vell's Custom Gear message when you first open the file, I do not remember what is missing or when it started showing up. I created a couple of custom weapons, but another character uses those, so I don't know why it shows up with the Cleric.
Vellcrow is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old December 23rd, 2014, 05:57 PM
I see the error message. It seems to have something to do with the Wizard version of the spell for some reason. I'm looking into it.

Update: This is bizarre, and I don't have a solution at the moment. For now, I would recommend opening the BoVD sourcebook and deleting the Wizard version of this spell. At least that way, the error won't appear for you anymore. I'll continue to look into it.

BTW, for anyone else who wants to take a look, this issue *is* reproducible without his portfolio. Also, for those interested, I have deleted the entry, and re-created it using the duplicate feature and am still seeing the problem. I even changed the thingid. I don't think this issue is being caused by the spell itself.

Last edited by Sendric; December 23rd, 2014 at 06:11 PM.
Sendric is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
TobyFox2002

Old December 23rd, 2014, 05:59 PM
This is an interesting problem, I've have recreated your hero and I get no error but with your file I get the same error you have.

I'd like to give all kind of possible explanations as to whats going on. But honestly, I'm rather stumped.

I even tried deleting the Cleric Spell, Slash Tongue, that didn't even do anything.

I'll keep working on it as I can.
TobyFox2002 is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old December 24th, 2014, 04:40 AM
Quote:
I even tried deleting the Cleric Spell, Slash Tongue, that didn't even do anything.
It's the wizard version of the spell that's popping the error.
Sendric is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Vellcrow

Old December 24th, 2014, 04:53 PM
Thanks for all the help! I was afraid I might be wasting everyone's time.
Vellcrow is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old January 7th, 2015, 09:50 AM
So, this is an interesting case. Here are some of the things I've come up with:
  • All 0-level Wizard spells are livepicks on all characters, regardless of class level (or even if you don't have one at all)
  • Only Clerics show this error when confronted with a spell from the Evil Subschool
  • This is the only 0-level wizard spell from the Evil subschool in the entire community or base set

So this is a true corner case in the sense that only the Cleric would get this issue, and only with this particular spell.

For now, there are a few options to get around it with the community set, but a true fix would have to come from Shadow...assuming its something that even makes sense to fix. I can only guess as to the reasoning behind adding all 0-level Wizard spells to all characters, but I assume there is a reason for it.

For us, we could simply remove the Evil descriptor and make note of it in the description. As it only effects the Wizard version of the spell, this is the only one that would require such a change. Alternatively, we could ignore it, and users can remove the tag themselves or delete the spell altogether if it proves bothersome. I will discuss it with Shadow to see what he wants to do before determining how to handle things on the Community side.

For those interested, here is a screenshot showing it as a livepick on a 1st-level cleric:
Attached Images
File Type: png liveactor.png (435.3 KB, 3 views)
Sendric is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
TobyFox2002

Old January 7th, 2015, 09:56 AM
I will remove the Evil tag from it, and create and eval rule that checks for any class except ones that check for deity/character alignment. That way it will give the same basic error just using a different mechanic.

If that doesnt work or I cant get it to work, I'll just make a note of it. Although, it might work out. After all just how evil is making someones tongue hurt... at compared to say... eating someones brains.. as other spells from vile darkness require as "extra costs" :P

Thanks for looking into this, I never would have seen the connection. I must learn to think more outside the box.
TobyFox2002 is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old January 7th, 2015, 10:03 AM
Quote:
I will remove the Evil tag from it, and create and eval rule that checks for any class except ones that check for deity/character alignment. That way it will give the same basic error just using a different mechanic.

If that doesnt work or I cant get it to work, I'll just make a note of it. Although, it might work out. After all just how evil is making someones tongue hurt... at compared to say... eating someones brains.. as other spells from vile darkness require as "extra costs" :P

Thanks for looking into this, I never would have seen the connection. I must learn to think more outside the box.
Hmm...that's a good idea. Let me know if you get that to work. If it does, then I can leave Shadow alone and let him work on more important things.
Sendric is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old January 7th, 2015, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendric View Post
I can only guess as to the reasoning behind adding all 0-level Wizard spells to all characters, but I assume there is a reason for it.
This is the same way it works in Pathfinder as well actually. If I understand it all correctly its the only way to handle the idea that a Wizard gets all Cantrips for "FREE" at level 1. Something has to make the cantrips into Picks so in this case the are live on all characters so when you are a wizard the spellbook gets populated with them.

Just an FYI.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #20 Reply With Quote