Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Dervish

Old August 26th, 2014, 05:54 AM
Mirtos i think maybe you think i was mad when i made my post .... to clarify i was not mad, I was being honest. I do not care about those aspects of realmworks because i am not going to use them. Printing and exporting are things i can use so i will hammer away at it until either we get it or I am banned from the forums.
Dervish is offline   #41 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old August 26th, 2014, 07:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirtos View Post
Also, I dont think Rob at any point, or anyone from LWD, has ever said that wearent getting printing.
Well, when I first asked, I inferred from his answer that it wasn't a planned feature. He asked me why I would want that feature, how I would use it, what I expected of it, that sort of thing. That indicated to me that it wasn't in the scope of his original vision.

Now that he knows how many people want it, it's higher on his priority list. And he deserves proper credit for that.
EightBitz is offline   #42 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old August 26th, 2014, 08:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightBitz View Post
Well, when I first asked, I inferred from his answer that it wasn't a planned feature. He asked me why I would want that feature, how I would use it, what I expected of it, that sort of thing. That indicated to me that it wasn't in the scope of his original vision.
Hmmm, ok. I stand corrected. I was under the impression export was always there. Im more than willing to admit that I'm wrong though.

Quote:

Now that he knows how many people want it, it's higher on his priority list. And he deserves proper credit for that.
Indeed.
mirtos is offline   #43 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old August 26th, 2014, 09:36 AM
I went back and finally noticed that I never posted in this thread, despite having posted about printing and exporting in others. Weird.

What I want is to export Topics/Articles in a format suitable for further processing and importation into a desktop publishing or word processing application. I'd like to provide templates that Realm Works would fill in with the data from the Topics/Articles it is exporting. Less useful than that is a non-customizable export into a fixed format (XML, CSV, etc.) which could then be manipulated externally.

Printing directly from Realm Works is less important to me, but could still be useful for some situations. Again, the more customizable the better.

Parody is offline   #44 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old August 26th, 2014, 09:40 AM
Since it's a database it's piece of cake
Acenoid is offline   #45 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old August 26th, 2014, 09:51 AM
If it was a piece of cake we'd have it already. :)

For export it's building a UI for it on top of choosing how to handle customized sections, formatted text, graphics, other binary blobs, and so on that's (likely) the annoying part.

Parody is offline   #46 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 26th, 2014, 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dervish View Post
Mirtos i think maybe you think i was mad when i made my post .... to clarify i was not mad, I was being honest. I do not care about those aspects of realmworks because i am not going to use them. Printing and exporting are things i can use so i will hammer away at it until either we get it or I am banned from the forums.
Please be aware that continually hammering on the issue won't actually make printing/export happen any faster. If anything, it slightly hurts your cause. The repeated harping and the rather strident/belligerent tone you chose to take in post #38 of this thread actually begins to sound like nagging, regardless of whether that's the intent. Remember, it's all about perception. The net result is that our impulse is tune you out. Fortunately, there are lots of other calm voices asking for this feature, so we're resisting that impulse.

Votes are votes. Each vote counts the same as everyone else's here on the forums, regardless of how loud or quiet a particular user chooses to be. Once we get Player Edition out, it's the number of +1's and distinct voices on a thread that will ultimately tell us how our users feel about a particular feature. The "squeaky wheel" approach works in many situations, but it won't in this case. Your optimal course of action is to get more +1's on this thread.
rob is offline   #47 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 26th, 2014, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightBitz View Post
A brief bit of history...

The subject of export was always something we figured would be wanted at some point, but we honestly didn't think it would be all that important. The subject of printing, however, was never even considered, since our vision for Realm Works has always been digital delivery of content to players.

Prior to the Kickstarter, we'd spent well over a year with 100+ users on our Beta team, and printing was not something that I recall ever being mentioned, let alone a priority for anyone. During the Kickstarter, enough people asked for it that we put it on the roadmap for after we got all the core functionality into place.

We also realized that we needed to boost the priority of exporting, but it still remained something that was planned for after the core functionality. First, you need to get the content INTO the product. Then you need to get it to the players digitally, as we originally intended. Once that's done, getting it out via other means would make sense. It's a stepwise evolution. At least, that's been our thinking on the subject.
rob is offline   #48 Reply With Quote
MaxSupernova

Old August 26th, 2014, 12:49 PM
I really, really think that printing itself is not an issue.

Export in a good format is. You kill two birds with one stone if you can export it in a nice format. Users can print from that other format. HTML, PDF, XML, DOCX, ODF, whatever.

If there existed a good export functionality, printing becomes moot.
MaxSupernova is offline   #49 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old August 26th, 2014, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxSupernova View Post
I really, really think that printing itself is not an issue.

Export in a good format is. You kill two birds with one stone if you can export it in a nice format. Users can print from that other format. HTML, PDF, XML, DOCX, ODF, whatever.

If there existed a good export functionality, printing becomes moot.
I agree with that completely. In fact, printing is something that I dont want at all. Its the export feature that is key to everyone's needs that want either a print/export feature.

However, "docx" and "nice format" arent two words i normally use together
mirtos is offline   #50 Reply With Quote