Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Rev Haus 235

Send a message via AIM to Rev Haus 235 Send a message via Yahoo to Rev Haus 235

Old February 22nd, 2013, 02:57 PM
I'm taking out the spells, animal companion, and fighting styles. Altering some of the class skills. Adding feats starting at 4th level, and every 5 levels after that.

What "breaks" is that it disappears completely from even being there.
I did figure out that if I make the variant class count as a Ranger, the favored enemy part stays there, but also it adds Ranger as a second class, as if I were multi-classing the two ranger classes. Even when that happens, it doesn't let me choose a favored enemy at first level, either in the variant or thee ranger.
Rev Haus 235 is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old February 22nd, 2013, 03:30 PM
All the classes based on the base classes from 3.5 in my current game are run as variant classes (so that I can get some of my house rules working). I've had no problem setting up the Ranger as a variant class as is. I created the new Ranger thusly.

1. Select the Class Variant tab in the Editor.
2. Select Ranger as the class to modify.
3. Correct the Will save to poor (this is a bug in HL, or at least it was).
4. Add or remove skills choices using Additional Class Skills/Removed Class Skills.
5. Add the Modified Bonus Feats per Level starting at 4th level (array slot 3).
6. Select the feats allowed in Additional Bonus Feat Allowed.
7. Select Remove Spellcasting.
8. Add new abilities granted under Additional Class Special Abilities.
9. Remove unused abilities under Removed Class Special Abilities. You may have to look at the original Ranger class to get the correct names.
10. Beyond that, you should not have to make any other changes. Leave all the other fields alone, let me know the results. You don't want to add custom abilities here (they should already be in place if you chose Ranger as the class to modify).
Kendall-DM is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Rev Haus 235

Old February 22nd, 2013, 09:53 PM
Seems pretty straight forward. Will this "Class Variant" replace the existing Ranger class? Or will it create a second class that is the Ranger variant that I make?
Rev Haus 235 is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old February 22nd, 2013, 10:22 PM
A variant replaces the original. At least mine is doing so.
Kendall-DM is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old February 23rd, 2013, 10:06 AM
Correction, this doesn't actually replace the original, it is still available. You just have to chose the variant (there is a variant tab) when you chose the class. This allows you to have multiple variants of the class as well as keep the original as needed.
Kendall-DM is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Rev Haus 235

Old February 23rd, 2013, 01:54 PM
I'm not getting this "Variant Tab", or at least I'm not seeing where it should be.
When I level up the character, taking level 1, it calls up the list of classes, I choose Ranger, then "Add" then close. I get the straight 3.5 Ranger, spells and all.

EDIT: Disregard the question below, I am pretty sure that I figured it out. I made custom "Class Abilities" to cover the two bonus feats that this variant class receives.
Also, the variant class receives specific bonus feats at certain levels, how do I add that to the character class? I don't see where to do this under the "Additional Class Special Abilities" section.

Last edited by Rev Haus 235; February 23rd, 2013 at 02:19 PM.
Rev Haus 235 is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old February 23rd, 2013, 02:44 PM
Make sure you have HL configured correctly. Set it up to allow for Variant Classes under Character->Configure Hero on the top menu ribbon. That is probably why you are not seeing the Variant tab when making a character.
Kendall-DM is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Rev Haus 235

Old February 23rd, 2013, 03:05 PM
Ok. That worked for the variant part.

But I didn't quite figure out the other question that I thought I did.
I got the feats to add in, but not at the levels they are supposed to, they just show up at level 1. How do I make them show up at the specific levels they are supposed to show up at?

I'm also discovering that some of the other special abilities they get are received at different levels than the regular Rangers.
For instance, 3.5 Rangers get Evasion at 9th level, but the variant class gets Evasion at 8th level. How do I change that?
Rev Haus 235 is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old February 23rd, 2013, 08:07 PM
I would need a little more information on how you are adding feats, what's being added, and if those feats are a choice or automatically assigned without a choice. In general, you add feats by making a class special acquired at x level with the feat bootstrapped to it (in other words, you don't directly add the feat).

As for evasion, make a copy of the Ranger's evasion class skill, but set your version to be active at level 8. You can either 1) replace the id of the old one with this new one or 2) remove the old evasion and add your new evasion class specials.
Kendall-DM is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
Instant Cash

Old February 23rd, 2013, 09:25 PM
I appreciate the help that has been given. I am the one that Mr. Haus is trying to sort this out for.

Just trying to make an Iron Kingdoms Ranger is more challenging than I thought.
Instant Cash is offline   #20 Reply With Quote