Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Nero Shade

Old November 18th, 2013, 09:49 PM
I am currently working my way through imputing the Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition into Realm Works. This is a huge project that is going to take some serious time and work.

What are some tips to speed things up in this project? I don't have a start date for the game yet, but I would like to get it transferred over as quickly as possible.

Is there anyone out there doing the same thing? If so, is there any way we could split the work and help each other?
Nero Shade is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
lifer4700

Old November 19th, 2013, 09:44 AM
I am also running the RotRL anniversary addition, we just started (the night of the festival right now, if you know what I mean...)

Anyway, I'm certain Paizo won't pass up this opportunity to get some more cash out of me, and likely others, by providing a professionally crafted version dripping with custom artwork, etc.

However, in the meantime, I would certainly be interested in this, since I was already resigned to be doing it myself anyway!

Now I just need the software...
lifer4700 is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Ladyofdragons

Old November 19th, 2013, 10:03 AM
Depends on how you are doing it currently. I have an old dungeon magazine adventure I'm putting in and converting to PF. I'm using my scanner to scan the pages and using OneNote to pull the text out of the image. Some scanners have scan-to-text features, they vary in how accurate they are. Not fast, but certainly faster than typing it all in from scratch.

-------------------------------------
"...You're going to backstab him with a ballista?"
Ladyofdragons is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
lifer4700

Old November 19th, 2013, 10:23 AM
Well, I'm running mine in Fantasy Craft (Crafty Games) instead of Pathfinder. So all my NPCs will be stat'ed up differently, but I'm keeping all the same details of the game world.
lifer4700 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
woobyluv

Old November 19th, 2013, 11:10 AM
Since you guys are working on RotRL, I'll take a crack at Curse of the Crimson Throne. I really enjoyed running that AP and would like to run it again sometime from RW.
woobyluv is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 19th, 2013, 04:08 PM
It will NOT be valid to share commercially published content with other users through Realm Works unless the publisher specifically allows it. Sharing the material would likely result in us receiving a take-down notice, as it would be similar to posting a re-formatted PDF of the AP (or module, or setting, etc.) for others to use.

We are in negotiations with Paizo (and other publishers) to make their material available through Realm Works. Nothing has yet been signed, but I believe we've worked things out in principle and are now sorting through the details.

Please note that it IS perfectly valid for users to take content from published material that they have purchased (in print or PDF) and put it into Realm Works for their own use. This also includes incrementally sharing that material with their players through the course of running the campaign. The issue is with providing the material to another GM to run it, since that GM would first need to purchase the material from the publisher.

We're working with publishers to make Realm Works a next-generation publishing vehicle, which will allow GMs to purchase content that's vastly more usable and ready for immediate delivery to players. The best thing you can do to support us in this effort is to tell the publishers directly that you want them to support Realm Works and that you're happy to pay for the material through Realm Works. Posting polite requests on their forums would be an excellent avenue to pursue.
rob is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Nero Shade

Old November 19th, 2013, 05:18 PM
Well, when you do work something out you are going to need data entry people. Any possibility of becoming one of those?

I would be interested. Especially if it gets me the AP in Realm Works sooner and without too many more purchases.
Nero Shade is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Nero Shade

Old November 19th, 2013, 05:40 PM
By the way, I am copy-pasting from PDFs into Realm Works. I can't imagine typing it all out by hand.
Nero Shade is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 19th, 2013, 06:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero Shade View Post
Well, when you do work something out you are going to need data entry people. Any possibility of becoming one of those?
Definitely possible. We've recently been recruiting members of our Beta team to help out with data entry work, largely because they are already very familiar with how to do things. The key thing for you to do would be to spend time becoming familiar with and then proficient with Realm Works. We'll definitely be needing more people to help with the work, and our biggest requirement will be proficiency with the product to accomplish that objective.
rob is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 19th, 2013, 06:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero Shade View Post
By the way, I am copy-pasting from PDFs into Realm Works. I can't imagine typing it all out by hand.
That's the best way to do it. I hope you've been copying and pasting large chunks and then splitting them up into snippets using <ctrl+Enter>. Combined with pasting and using the snippet option to remove all the formatting, it makes bringing content in from PDFs fast and relatively painless.
rob is offline   #10 Reply With Quote