Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

kbs666

Old March 8th, 2018, 12:05 PM
In a big realm I try to tag every topic with as many tags as I can come up with. That way when I'm adding a new topic and I need the elderly male dwarf merchant I created earlier I just filter on those tags and I get at most a few hits and can easily find the right one.

For me at least that serves to knit the whole realm together more as I tend to reuse and interconnect things more since I don't just create new NPC's since I cannot find an appropriate existing one faster than creating one.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old March 8th, 2018, 12:18 PM
Well, I gathered that much and I played around with them briefly but couldn't see how they could help me.

Everybody talks about them and praises them - oh well, I will probbaly find something to use them for one day :-)

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Last edited by Vargr; March 8th, 2018 at 12:24 PM.
Vargr is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
Valyar

Old March 8th, 2018, 01:11 PM
I have mix of Setting, Adventures and Mechanics with total of ~2100 topic/articles in my Dark Heresy 2 realm. Without Views, the navigation pane is just too big to manage during session. In addition, views provides super fast and easy way to filter just the necessary set of articles such as monster manual (full or partial), combat rules, items, psychic powers and etc. so many things you can do to make your life easier and so little views and slots

I spent some time playing with tags... watched all your great clips on YouTube and even though I see the benefit, the lack of convenient interface to do the tagging makes me a bit reluctant to proceed with 2000 articles. Bulk tagging is ok if you don’t have that much granularity but the need to pass first through a temporary view is killing me.

They first must implement multi-select option for the navigation pane and allow to make tag/assign/prune/scan/whatever operations on selection level. Otherwise is just too manual work.

The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

Last edited by Valyar; March 8th, 2018 at 01:21 PM.
Valyar is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old March 8th, 2018, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargr View Post
Well, I gathered that much and I played around with them briefly but couldn't see how they could help me.

Everybody talks about them and praises them - oh well, I will probbaly find something to use them for one day :-)
Are you a computer pro? tags have become a big deal in a lot of other software so since a lot of us are programmers or otherwise employed in IT tags come naturally to us.

my Realm Works videos
kbs666 is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old March 10th, 2018, 06:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
Are you a computer pro? tags have become a big deal in a lot of other software so since a lot of us are programmers or otherwise employed in IT tags come naturally to us.
Not quite sure what a "computer pro" entails now-a-days but I feel confident messing with my server and maintaining my router, etc. Most programming these days are in VBA.

It is just that I can not see what I gain from using tags in RW - I get it helps in searches and filtering, but considering the extra time it takes to include this info as well, it just doesn't seem worthwhile.

Maybe because I am only entering my own stuff.

Ah well, I am probably a lost cause :-)

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
Bidmaron

Old March 10th, 2018, 08:18 AM
When your material volume expands, you will HAVE to have them. And you will wish you had taken the time to develop a good tag system because it will seem insurmountable to back and add the tags once you realize you need them.
Bidmaron is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
Valyar

Old March 10th, 2018, 10:19 AM
I wish I had my current knowledge and experience of RW before I started 9 months ago

I put all data entry on hold until I design good tag scheme for my Warhammer 40K realms.

Valyar is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old March 10th, 2018, 11:03 AM
Did you design your own categories?

my Realm Works videos
kbs666 is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
Valyar

Old March 10th, 2018, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
Did you design your own categories?
Yes. I used the "Other" realm type as a base, created copy of existing article categories and modified for my needs or created new ones from scratch. All except one are inside the Mechanics section, as this is where the "Other" template needs some love.

I had two goal here - one to create the same "stat block" that i have in the books and another one to prepare for possible export to another program such as Hero Labs or other.

I understood back then, that there is way to export the realm in XML format and with some dark magic of parsing XML files I could (on theory) prepare bulk import and save tremendous of time (as I already did bulk upload of every equipment in the game via the CSV tool).

Attached is a screenshot if you are interested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg categories.jpg (180.3 KB, 19 views)

Valyar is offline   #29 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old March 10th, 2018, 11:40 AM
This is likely where your lack of tags comes from. You used text snippets in places where tags would have worked fine. Any time a particular thing has a sharply limited number of possible options it makes sense to define a tag instead of using a text snippet. I don't know Dark Heresy but in D&D terms things like alignment or spell school should be tags.

my Realm Works videos
kbs666 is offline   #30 Reply With Quote