Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

eponette

Old February 17th, 2017, 04:29 AM
Hi

I need to put some text in a topic. But for each text, I need to write down the level of knowledge of this information (3 levels). I'd like to be a tag, hence I'll be able to filter easily when needed.

But tag and text are limited to 1 line of text. And when the information is long, I can see the whole text

Any idea how to do it?
eponette is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Merion

Old February 17th, 2017, 04:52 AM
I'll let more experienced user answer to the tag problem, but text snippets be autmatically expand and let you insert as many lines of text as you want.
Merion is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old February 17th, 2017, 07:50 AM
First, it sounds like eponette is talking about the "Hybrid Tag and Text" type of snippet, not individually Text snippets and Tag snippets.

The Hybrid snippet is, I believe, intended to allow you to type Tags and have them be recognized, so that the actual tag is applied automatically.

I don't know what game system is involved, but for Pathfinder there's a case where the Knowledge skill can be used to determine what the PC knows about a monster. The results of the check can give varying amounts of information; a better check result allows the PC to have more information. So the example of using that is to apply a GM note to each snippet, identifying what check result is required for each. In eponette's case, if there are three levels of information.. that would mean three text snippets, each with a GM Note attached identifying the "level of information".

I don't believe it can be done easily with tags.
Silveras is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
davidp
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 17th, 2017, 08:39 AM
Any snippet type can get a tag added to it. You can do this by selecting the snippet tools menu and then Snippet Tags and then Manage Snippet Tags...

They will then show up as a tooltip on the tools button for the snippet. The icon for the tool button will also change to indicate there are tags assigned.
davidp is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
eponette

Old February 18th, 2017, 04:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidp View Post
Any snippet type can get a tag added to it. You can do this by selecting the snippet tools menu and then Snippet Tags and then Manage Snippet Tags...

They will then show up as a tooltip on the tools button for the snippet. The icon for the tool button will also change to indicate there are tags assigned.
Whouw, thanks. I didn't know that. It works. Not as sexy as having the tag before. But it will totally make me happy.
eponette is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
eponette

Old February 18th, 2017, 04:31 AM
Now that I have done it, I have the different tags presents but not clearly visible. If I want to see only those level 1 on the same topic (as I have level 1, 2 and 3 in the same topic). is there a way? The filter will only show me the topic containing the level, but not the texts (the whole topic is visible)
eponette is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old February 18th, 2017, 06:56 AM
Not currently.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
eponette

Old February 19th, 2017, 01:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
Not currently.
Too bad. Hopefully in a next version.

Thanks
eponette is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old February 19th, 2017, 02:05 AM
I don't know you reason for needing the search, but I've done something similar in my own games by pressing the snippet reveal button on individual knowledge results which the party have seen - but the main topic is not revealed to the players.

If you never intend to have your players use the player version, then you could use a similar method and include revealing the topic so that when you switch to "player mode" then you can see which snippets you've marked as revealed.

I have put forward a feature request to have some sort of "GM tick" against snippets for this sort of situation.
Farling is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 19th, 2017, 06:18 AM
Based on my understanding of the OP's original objective, it sounds to me like the best approach is something similar to what @Silveras outlines above. If there are three separate tiers of data to be learned, each goes in a separate snippet, with a single snippet likely holding an entire tier of data. The tier itself is identified within a GM Directions component atop each revealable snippet. This approach is easy to setup, efficient to use, and very clear. I also don't see how tags can really be leveraged in this situation, since filtering on them doesn't seem to have much utility.
rob is offline   #10 Reply With Quote