Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

JDCAce

Old November 29th, 2013, 07:39 PM
Good evening. I've been playing around with the early release, and I must say I'm impressed. One thing I absolutely love is the Player View section and the "Fog of World" feature. My question, then, is will I as the game master and user of this software be required to pay for the cloud sync service in order to allow my players to use the Web access?
JDCAce is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 30th, 2013, 03:33 AM
The web-based access will need to pull the data off of our server. That's necessary so that we can orchestrate all the security for ensuring individual players can only access exactly the information you've revealed to them - which is a rather complex process. So independent, web-based access for players will require the cloud service, as that's how everything gets up onto our server.

There's no requirement for GMs to utilize the cloud, however. The Player View mechanism can be fully leveraged without the cloud, exactly as you've been playing around with it. Web-based access is simply an option that some GMs will choose to leverage and others won't. Our hope is that most GMs will find the benefits of web-based access are well worth the nominal extra investment in the cloud service.
rob is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Tharmiones

Old December 2nd, 2013, 06:21 AM
A question that I have regarding the Webaccess, Player View while playing ect. and the Sync to the Server.

Currently our group does not use any Internet access, beside checking to clarify certain rules questions.
So if I would use RealmWorks as a GM and present all information that I want to reveal to them either by just telling them or even by showing them in the Playerview with the normal revealing.
However later after I get home will it be possible to sync it to the server so my players can have Access the information revealed to them later on as well?

For example for players that couldn't make it to the previous session? It would be a big time saver for all in the next session and also no information gets lost if the players try to sync up each other.

I hope that sync. to the server does only require a connection during sync but not while changing/revealing content.
Tharmiones is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
weogarth

Old December 2nd, 2013, 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tharmiones View Post
A question that I have regarding the Webaccess, Player View while playing ect. and the Sync to the Server.

Currently our group does not use any Internet access, beside checking to clarify certain rules questions.
So if I would use RealmWorks as a GM and present all information that I want to reveal to them either by just telling them or even by showing them in the Playerview with the normal revealing.
However later after I get home will it be possible to sync it to the server so my players can have Access the information revealed to them later on as well?

For example for players that couldn't make it to the previous session? It would be a big time saver for all in the next session and also no information gets lost if the players try to sync up each other.
Presuming you mean ‘not use any access during play’, it sounds like you’ve pretty much nailed it. Basically you run your session just like you would without RW with verbal relaying of story and information, perhaps with props and maps or with Player View. During the session, or after the session, you update what information the players have learned and know and then, after you sync, the players can all view the information. You may want to go tell the players who missed the session the key NPCs, places, etc so they know what to look for in your database.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tharmiones View Post
I hope that sync. to the server does only require a connection during sync but not while changing/revealing content.
Absolutely. We’ve all been doing data entry offline.
weogarth is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
lifer4700

Old December 3rd, 2013, 08:07 PM
Somehow I'm getting the feeling that "Player View" is something that is only available to the GM Client, and only on the physical machine that the client is running on (a 2nd monitor, or switch to player view, turn around the monitor).

Am I misunderstanding?

Will I (the GM) be able to set up the Player View, and display locally if I want, but also any remote players get the update as well simultaneously on their Player View screen? (whether that is via web client or separate player-install client)
lifer4700 is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
pyremius

Old December 4th, 2013, 02:48 AM
Player View is a combination of a special tab within the main window for Realm Works, paired with a second, dedicated window. From most other locations in Realm Works, you have the option to select a Snippet or Topic which has been shared and "Show in Player View". This places a copy of the information in the Player View tab, alongside your other tabs. Once there you can size and place the information however you wish relative to other shared information, and decide which pieces are or are not to be seen by the players (you don't have to reveal everything all the time, so you can either prepare for upcoming reveals, or save information for re-use later in the session).

When you are ready, you can select "Show Player Window to the Players". At that point it will replace whatever information was visible previously with the player window, so you can show it to the players without giving away any game secrets. If you only have the one monitor you just turn it around for the players to see; if you have multiple monitors you can dedicate one for the task so the information is always available.

Currently I'm using a three-monitor setup: my primary has Realm Works, the secondary has Hero Lab and all of the PDF rulebooks I use, and the tertiary is reserved for Player View so they can always see whatever information I'm sharing with them.

Currently there is no capability for sharing Player View with remote players built into Realm Works. I'm not sure if it's being planned or not, but you might be able to accomplish something with a VTT system paired with Realm Works.
pyremius is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
lifer4700

Old December 4th, 2013, 03:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyremius View Post
Currently there is no capability for sharing Player View with remote players built into Realm Works. I'm not sure if it's being planned or not, but you might be able to accomplish something with a VTT system paired with Realm Works.
Wow.

I really, really misunderstood the whole intention of this system then!

Yes, I get that it is an organizational system beyond anything else out there, and for that alone I might still purchase.

But for me to be able to use the Player View portion of the software, I would have to do something like this, I think:
  1. Transfer snippets to the Player View.
  2. Switch to Player View and organize.
  3. View as Player, take screen shot.
  4. Save as PDF.
  5. Send email or post on my forum.
  6. Tell my players to check their email or forum, and pull up the PDF.

I was not expecting that - especially with all the emphasis on this being on "The Cloud" with client software.

I completely missed the statement that this software is designed only for people that play face-to-face.

Last edited by lifer4700; December 4th, 2013 at 03:56 AM.
lifer4700 is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
lifer4700

Old December 4th, 2013, 03:36 AM
Actually, with this in mind, another - in my mind - missing feature makes complete sense now.

I was very surprised when I found out you can't reveal snippets to individual players yet. It wasn't part of the initial design.

With this knowledge, I suppose that does make sense. It is assumed that all players are sitting around a physical table, looking at the same Player View screen.
lifer4700 is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
JackOfAllGames

Old December 4th, 2013, 04:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyremius View Post
Such a feature would be nice. We often have a friend from out of state call in and join in on our sessions (when time and internet connectivity allows). Without that though, I think the first thing I'd try is something like Google Hangout screen sharing or something similar. If the quality of the picture on that call is high enough, that would allow someone to view it remotely. Just an idea.
JackOfAllGames is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
lifer4700

Old December 4th, 2013, 05:01 AM
I could do it as a Handout in Roll20 also, I suppose - but we only use Roll20 when we do combat, otherwise it's play-by-post for lengthy one-on-one roleplay, or Ventrilo for regular sessions.

I could start using Roll20 for all sessions.
lifer4700 is offline   #10 Reply With Quote