Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread

pyremius

Old November 27th, 2013, 05:00 PM
With option #2 players would get a choice of either free web-based access, or pay for an installable app that allows them to access the data offline? Seems workable to me, although I'd be tempted to hold off an set that up as another KickStarter after the major revisions are released - that way you can actually get the funds necessary for development instead of risking people saying "Yes I want it", then changing their mind after deciding the web access is good enough.
pyremius is offline   #11
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 30th, 2013, 04:21 AM
@JackOfAllGames: I believe I answered your question in a separate thread on the subject where you asked something similar.
rob is offline   #12
ifandbut

Old December 1st, 2013, 02:25 PM
Quote:
The one big feature that's still missing is full server syncing...It's the cloud server that will allow users to create, manage, and tailor their realms. It's also the cornerstone for enabling GMs to share content with their players, which is one of the core purposes of Realm Works.
Have you considered releasing a "GM Only" version of Realm Works that does not need any of the server stuff?
ifandbut is offline   #13
woobyluv

Old December 2nd, 2013, 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifandbut View Post
Have you considered releasing a "GM Only" version of Realm Works that does not need any of the server stuff?
^ This.

Personally, I'd rather have a product that I can put on one computer at home, and through a LAN, slave other monitors or pc's to show them what I want. The server stuff would be an option for me, and may even be used from time to time. If this is a model that requires an online presence, like Diablo 3 does, I'm going to be very disappointed with that...
woobyluv is offline   #14
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 2nd, 2013, 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifandbut View Post
Yes, we have. That opens up a big can of worms, both technically and in terms of complexity for users. Most importantly, it would provide a solution that only a fraction of GMs will be able to leverage due to the lack of technical know-how to set things up appropriately to run their own server. Realm Works is already targeting a niche market (RPGs), and is primarily focused on a niche within that niche (GMs). The prospect of targeting a further niche simply makes zero business sense for us to do as an initial product focus. It's definitely something we could potentially do down the line, and it's something we've seriously investigated already on a technical level, but our first priority needs to be a solution that works for the vast majority of GMs, which means the server-based model we'll be launching with.
rob is offline   #15
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 2nd, 2013, 05:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by woobyluv View Post
If this is a model that requires an online presence, like Diablo 3 does, I'm going to be very disappointed with that...
You can run entirely offline after creating your realms. There is no requirement to leverage our server to use Realm Works. The Player View mechanism makes it possible to reveal any content you wish to players during the game, with no internet required. The only thing that needs the internet is *independent* access to your content for players. If that's a feature you or your players consider critical, then our server will need to be involved.
rob is offline   #16
JackOfAllGames

Old December 2nd, 2013, 07:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
Yes, we have. That opens up a big can of worms, both technically and in terms of complexity for users. Most importantly, it would provide a solution that only a fraction of GMs will be able to leverage due to the lack of technical know-how to set things up appropriately to run their own server. Realm Works is already targeting a niche market (RPGs), and is primarily focused on a niche within that niche (GMs). The prospect of targeting a further niche simply makes zero business sense for us to do as an initial product focus. It's definitely something we could potentially do down the line, and it's something we've seriously investigated already on a technical level, but our first priority needs to be a solution that works for the vast majority of GMs, which means the server-based model we'll be launching with.
Completely understandable, though from my own experience (purely anecdotally), tabletop gaming groups seem to have a higher-than-average tech leaning. I'd be surprised if those that want to set up their own server solutions couldn't figure out how (if they aren't already familiar with such things). Further, I'd imagine that if allowed, a community effort could easily take on most of the work of helping people set up their own servers. Perhaps leveraging the community, you could lessen your load.

In any case, I don't blame you guys at all for putting such considerations off 'til later. Best to get the product out the door first, make money, all that stuff.

Last edited by JackOfAllGames; December 2nd, 2013 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Added a bit of text for greater clarity.
JackOfAllGames is offline   #17
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 3rd, 2013, 12:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackOfAllGames View Post
Completely understandable, though from my own experience (purely anecdotally), tabletop gaming groups seem to have a higher-than-average tech leaning.
Everything for this would need to be handled by the GM. Based on all the data we've gleaned over the years (7+ with Hero Lab), GMs tend to skew either strongly technical or as technology novices. For every techie GM, there is another GM who's a professional artist, writer, historian, etc. It's that latter group that will be hard-pressed to deal with the technology side of things, so we need a solution that will work for everyone first.
rob is offline   #18
EightBitz

Old December 5th, 2013, 07:01 AM
One of the best and most intelligent GMs I've played with is half a century old and knows how to print and use YouTube. He can follow basic instructions. I can easily walk him through installing a print driver over the phone.

He fits the category of an intelligent gamer, but he is not what techies would call tech savvy.
EightBitz is offline   #19
wurzel

Old December 12th, 2013, 03:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightBitz View Post
One of the best and most intelligent GMs I've played with is half a century old and knows how to print and use YouTube. He can follow basic instructions. I can easily walk him through installing a print driver over the phone.

He fits the category of an intelligent gamer, but he is not what techies would call tech savvy.
You are probably not going to believe it, but that is definitely not a question of age. I'm well above "half a century old", have GM'ed more than a quarter of a century and I think I can set up a few server farms with the corresponding networks and software if necessary. And sometimes I wish a few of the younger people in my department were able to "follow basic instruchtions".
wurzel is offline   #20
Closed Thread