Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Ghost Matter

Old May 30th, 2015, 12:21 PM
I've searched the forums and have not found anything satisfying for this.

I'd like to have Realm Works translated to French. I know it's easy to translate my own categories and tags. Right now, I'm mostly wondering about the interface.

I'm sure the community (including myself) would be willing to put some time in, we'd just need to know where and how.

Thanks!
Ghost Matter is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old May 30th, 2015, 01:38 PM
Well, it would probably depend on how the interface is made.

If it is made using placeholders throughout and a language file which populates those placeholders it could probably be done fairly easy, if the file in question is easy to access (as a .txt file would be).

LW would be the right guys to answer this.

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
AlxNzx

Old July 28th, 2015, 05:41 AM
Can we get an answer to the question?
AlxNzx is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old July 28th, 2015, 09:05 AM
this thread is addressing that question as well...
Using Foreign Languages
*Edit* Although I see you have visited that one as well AlxNzx... Early in the post Rob eludes that the ability is supported
Robs Post
But like so many other elements, there has been little shown that this is being worked, not that it isn't, just it hasn't been conveyed by LWD as to the current state.

my 2cp
DLG

D&D> Pre 1e White Box Edition, 1e, 2e, 3.5 Currently, Set in the World of Greyhawk (The first, longest running and Best Campaign Setting)
Software>Extensive use of all forms of MS Products, Visual Studio 2012, DAZ 3d, AutoCAD, Adobe Products.
Gaming Specific>Campaign Cartographer, D20 Pro Alpha & BattleGrounds Beta Tester, World Builder, Dungeon Crafter, LWD Hero Lab, Realm Works, Inkwell Ideas Citybuilder & Dungeon Builder, Auto-Realm, Dundjinni
Contributing Writer for TSR, WOC, & Canonfire

Last edited by Dark Lord Galen; July 28th, 2015 at 09:11 AM.
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
AlxNzx

Old July 28th, 2015, 11:23 AM
Thanks DLG. I hope this will help RW get translated. I am going to start a new campaign soon and would definitely help translating as soon as I have a mean of not losing and share the work done.
AlxNzx is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old July 28th, 2015, 07:37 PM
I'm always a fan of localization, but I have a feeling that this would be fairly low on their development priorities. Maybe if some of the more die-hard users who are fluent in other languages volunteer to do the translations. I would think the cost of hiring folks to do the translations would be the biggest hurdle than adding them to the interface. Then again, do to concerns about quality and reputation, I'm not sure that they would trust localization to volunteers.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
AlxNzx

Old July 28th, 2015, 09:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlockHead View Post
I'm always a fan of localization, but I have a feeling that this would be fairly low on their development priorities. Maybe if some of the more die-hard users who are fluent in other languages volunteer to do the translations. I would think the cost of hiring folks to do the translations would be the biggest hurdle than adding them to the interface. Then again, do to concerns about quality and reputation, I'm not sure that they would trust localization to volunteers.
Hiring translaters is useless in this case, as for the quality of the translation, it would be a community effort (which comes with usually at least a decent quality).

This translation possibility alone would be a quick win to reach a lot of potential customers that do not want to bother with a foreign language. I really hope it gets implemented very quickly.
AlxNzx is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old July 29th, 2015, 09:58 AM
I believe the need for translations of the user interface differs from country to country.

I cannot imagine that users in the Scandinavian countries would see any benefit for example.

But if it can be done fairly straightforward by users, then the user interface would most likely be translated into the languages where it makes sense.

So really a kind of making it possible for the users to do the translations and let it take care of itself. Maybe have a page on Wolflair with the different languages ready for dl and a big disclaimer that LW is not responsible for the files?

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Viking2054

Old July 29th, 2015, 01:22 PM
If done properly, the various communities can take care of their own language translation. As I said in another thread, I've seen programs use an XML file that translates the tags/descriptors into any language the community wants a translation for. LWD would just need to enable translation and provide an initial example file so each community can see how it works and then let the community develop it and post it here for a free download.

It may even be usable on marketplace content, although that might sort itself out in a different matter with localized versions being put up for sale for each country/region as necessary.
Viking2054 is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Merug

Old August 27th, 2017, 09:39 AM
I want to buy your program to compose characters sheets pathfinder but I would like to make a translation of feats, skills and other things into Russian. Is there any example how to do this?

Sorry for my English.
Merug is offline   #10 Reply With Quote