Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

PatJe

Old December 1st, 2013, 03:46 AM
I've translated many categories and tags to german for personal use. But without sharing this is hard work. And with an update a few builds ago all protected categories got reseted to english
So, I'll stick to english until this works
PatJe is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
eponette

Old December 1st, 2013, 06:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatJe View Post
I've translated many categories and tags to german for personal use. But without sharing this is hard work. And with an update a few builds ago all protected categories got reseted to english
So, I'll stick to english until this works
Is there a way to share this? Or at least to save this in order not to redo the whole work after updates?
eponette is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
PatJe

Old December 1st, 2013, 09:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eponette View Post
Is there a way to share this? Or at least to save this in order not to redo the whole work after updates?
Not in this moment. After fully functionality I will think about creating a new realm, translate it and save it as a new blank realm. But as I'm writing this, I wonder if this will work because of protected categories. Maybe nothing would be translated after importing the shared (translated) realm?
PatJe is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 1st, 2013, 12:46 PM
@PatJe: The reason you ended up losing your translations of the content structure was because we were stuck with two bad options. Some users modified the structure to give it completely different meanings when we first released to Kickstarter backers and didn't have enough warnings in place about the implications of doing so. We needed to change how we handled things internally to better deal with sharing in the near future. Unfortunately, that change either meant throwing away all structure changes or leaving all such changes in places. The latter meant that users who modified their structure would forever be stuck with the wrong meanings, which would forever render their entire realms unable to be shared or to import shared content into them. So we were stuck with two bad choices and opted to ensure that everyone's entire realms remained viable. Sorry for the hassle and this should not ever happen again.

@eponeete & @PatJe: Allowing users to share translations of the structure wasn't something that we had really thought about previously. However, it would probably be relatively straightforward due to some of the recent changes we've made to how all that's handled internally. I'll put this on the todo list!
rob is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old April 28th, 2014, 02:41 AM
Hi!

It would be really great if a German translation would become available.

During a beta I can understand of course - but in a final product - it must no longer happen that data gets "overwritten" by LW. What is the policy on this issue?
Acenoid is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
eponette

Old August 14th, 2014, 06:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
@eponeete & @PatJe: Allowing users to share translations of the structure wasn't something that we had really thought about previously. However, it would probably be relatively straightforward due to some of the recent changes we've made to how all that's handled internally. I'll put this on the todo list!
Is there any news about it? I didn't work much lately on RW but I'm on the starting block now. And french should be nice.
eponette is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Viking2054

Old August 14th, 2014, 01:22 PM
Maybe you should consider asking for a feature request. I've seen a character generator for Shadowrun 4 "chummer" implement a set of translation files where the xml data inside the structure could be translated to a language other then english. The structure of the data wasn't altered for the program, but all the tags and data fields other then text boxes were displayed in the foreign language.

If you could have a language file that simply translated the field names and names inside drop down boxes or buttons, that would probably solve your problem. Any information typed into a text box would probably be in your native language anyway, so that shouldn't be too much of a concern.

After that, LW just needs to give the language translation file to the public so they can work on their own translations as a community project.

Oh, LW would have to inform the community of any changes to the data structure or purpose of tags, whenever they made those kinds of chages. There might have to also be a way to translate custom tags created by users... but then again those custom tags might already be in the language of choice.

Last edited by Viking2054; August 14th, 2014 at 01:26 PM.
Viking2054 is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
TechWolf

Old September 23rd, 2014, 08:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
Is there any news to this point on the todo list?
TechWolf is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
AlxNzx

Old July 28th, 2015, 05:38 AM
Any news on this topic?
That would definitely be great to have localized translation of everything coming within a blank new realm...
AlxNzx is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
Bobifle

Old July 28th, 2015, 07:19 AM
Nice post resurrection !

By the way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidp View Post
But if you are changing the tag from "Female" to "femelle", then you are keeping the same meaning, just translating to French (I hope, depending on Google translate...)
Epic fail !

"femelle" is relevant only for animals in french. Meaning that if you ever call "femelle" a french female, she'll become very angry, as it's often used by men to talk down on women.

Back to the subject, I do +1 the request.
I think the internal data should stick to english, but when it comes to the display, titles, labels and tags should be translated. Someone mentioned an xml file. That's a classic strategy and whould allow users to share their xml files.

Note : I hope RW support UTF-8 yéwöèéslûrp

Last edited by Bobifle; July 28th, 2015 at 07:24 AM. Reason: typo
Bobifle is offline   #20 Reply With Quote