Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion > Realm Works Early Access Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

chava

Old September 21st, 2013, 04:34 PM
Is there a way to do this without having to deactivate the protection?

And if you do remove the protection to add a new tag as allowable, will this screw up importing data?
chava is offline   #1
Zaphod Beebledoc

Old September 21st, 2013, 10:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chava View Post
Is there a way to do this without having to deactivate the protection?
I don't believe so, though it would be nice. I hope it's on LW's radar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chava View Post
And if you do remove the protection to add a new tag as allowable, will this screw up importing data?
If all you do is remove protection, and add/delete your own tags, you should be fine.
Zaphod Beebledoc is offline   #2
Knightblde

Old September 22nd, 2013, 02:26 AM
If you are not sharing and importing, I suggest not ever touching the protected data. I hid all of my tags, categories and anything else protected.

If you add a tag, and someone else adds the same tag, and you import that second set of stuff, you are going to have some problem because RW will see them as different tags.

If RW sees them as the same tag, you may use them for different things.

In my opinion, unless you are ramping up a product to sell, you should steer completely clear of all protected data and just use your own sets.
Knightblde is offline   #3
chava

Old September 27th, 2013, 12:29 AM
Hmmm - was trying your suggestion in one of my Realms and found that hiding the category removed the protection. Is that what you've been doing, or is there another way to hide the category other than unchecking the 'shown' option?
chava is offline   #4
kate

Old September 28th, 2013, 06:50 PM
Hiding the category (unchecking the shown option) should not remove protection - it didn't do that to my "Region: Celestial" category.

I wouldn't try Knightblade's idea, because if you hide all the preset categories you automatically run into the problem he mentioned: "If you add a tag, and someone else adds the same tag, and you import that second set of stuff, you are going to have some problem because RW will see them as different tags."

If you add a new tag "Neuter" to the Domain "Gender," and you share material with three people, one of whom has also added the tag "Neuter" to "Gender," then you have problems with that one person's material because you will see a duplicate "Neuter" tag - and from what I gather, this will only be a problem with the individuals who have been tagged as "Neuter," not ones tagged with Male or Female.

However, if you delete the global domain "Gender" and replace it with your own domain "Gender" then you'll have problems with everyone you share with because you'll have duplicated one of the global domains - you'll have to find the Gender identifier on every individual you import (using the global domain) and switch it over to your "Gender" domain to keep everything consistent.

Similarly, if you delete the "Individual" category and replace it with "Character," you'll need to convert anything you import to your "Character" category - and if you share anything other people will need to convert your Characters to the standard Individual category. This will almost certainly cause more problems than adding tags to a global category.

From what I can tell Zaphod is right that adding a new tag shouldn't cause problems as long as you don't duplicate any existing global content.

Last edited by kate; September 28th, 2013 at 06:51 PM. Reason: formatting
kate is offline   #5
chava

Old October 5th, 2013, 01:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kate View Post
Hiding the category (unchecking the shown option) should not remove protection - it didn't do that to my "Region: Celestial" category.
For me, with version .132, when I try to uncheck the "Shown" it get me the "are you sure you want to change protected data" and if I say yes then it has the little warning yellow mark on the category.

Is this just me?
chava is offline   #6
Dr_Automaton

Old October 5th, 2013, 05:04 AM
Unchecking the Shown checkbox on a Category marks it with the caution icon for me, as well.
Dr_Automaton is offline   #7
Knightblde

Old October 5th, 2013, 01:40 PM
This might be new, I didn't have that issue when I did it.
Knightblde is offline   #8